Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Times change though and I'm not sure latter day Mourinho can cut it. Certainly there's no evidence he can cut it on a budget, and he'd just bitch on every week and fail to take responsibility for anything.

On a budget? Are you suggesting that we'd be after him with Ashley still as owner? 

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

On a budget? Are you suggesting that we'd be after him with Ashley still as owner? 

I'm saying that I'm not convinced Mourinho is all that amazing, and would be interested to see what various mid-tier PL managers could do with the kinds of budgets he usually has available to him.

He clearly -was- a very good manager, possibly the best at one point, but his star is now diminishing. As someone else mentioned, it's unlikely a genuinely top tier club will pick him up - and for me, he complains too much and creates a general lack of harmony wherever he goes.

I'm not saying we couldn't win things with him + money - clearly we could. I'm just saying that I suspect better options exist who would spend money far less frivolously, and who would actually develop the club at all levels rather than just one.

:lol: imo Jose thrives when he’s the centre of it all and is able to build the side. Like when he was at Chelsea, Inter, and Porto. Madrid and Manchester United didn’t suit him as they’re clubs that are far bigger than his status in the game (I know Porto were since he was starting out but the players were also smaller names at the time).

If he come into a team with the players we have, and was able to bring in the players he wanted they’d be listening and taking in his instructions. It’s kind of like how Ronaldo didn’t want to listen to Benitez telling him what to do. 

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Maybe. I'm not saying anything other than I think he's benfitted from insane levels of financial backing.

Truthfully, maybe that lost him his edge.

Potentially, I just think he seems to do best when he’s basically able to dictate what the players do and give them a hard time. Players like Ronaldo, Pogba, Ramos, Lukaku, Kroos, and Phil Jones probably didn’t put up with it for too long. Whereas young Lampard, Terry, Carvalho, and Drogba bought in and got the success which led to them trusting him. 

Maybe I’m wrong and he’s somehow useless, but I don’t think the last 3 jobs suited him (Man U and Madrid are what they are and the Chelsea culture has become very volatile with a lot of player power). Again I could be simplifying it but I think he’s a brilliant manager and if we had any hope of getting him and Rafa had left I’d have him here in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

He wasn't happy with his centre halves at Man Utd and had bother getting the green light to replace them iirc. I blame the club and players for what happened there as much as I blame Jose. I've little doubt he'd have sorted it out if they'd continued to back/support him though. Doubt he's a busted flush, needs to pick his next job carefully though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howay said:

Potentially, I just think he seems to do best when he’s basically able to dictate what the players do and give them a hard time. Players like Ronaldo, Pogba, Ramos, Lukaku, Kroos, and Phil Jones probably didn’t put up with it for too long. Whereas young Lampard, Terry, Carvalho, and Drogba bought in and got the success which led to them trusting him. 

Maybe I’m wrong and he’s somehow useless, but I don’t think the last 3 jobs suited him (Man U and Madrid are what they are and the Chelsea culture has become very volatile with a lot of player power). Again I could be simplifying it but I think he’s a brilliant manager and if we had any hope of getting him and Rafa had left I’d have him here in a heartbeat. 

Aye you don't get his trophy haul without knowing your onions. His arrogance/petulance is off-putting to some but if he did somehow end up here and was winning games people would probably lap it up :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Aye you don't get his trophy haul without knowing your onions. His arrogance/petulance is off-putting to some but if he did somehow end up here and was winning games people would probably lap it up :lol:

We’ll be okay once wor Khaled buys him Skriniar. 

9 hours ago, Howay said:

Fair, hadn't thought of it that way. My perception of him is that he's a whining crybaby who blames everyone else. He could be the best manager in the world for all i care and i still wouldn't want him based on that personality. However, your point is interesting and i can see what you're saying.

22 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Fair, hadn't thought of it that way. My perception of him is that he's a whining crybaby who blames everyone else. 

So was Fergie. He just had the media shit scared of him.

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Lads, don't worry. We're not even gonna get close to having an opportunity to knock Mourinho back. (you fucking bellends :lol:

We haven't even got the Sheikh's cash yet and already we're too good for Mourinho. 

Bring back Ossie!!!

:nufc:

11 hours ago, Howay said:

I was with you right until you said Phil Jones :lol:

• Haha 1

The one thing Mourinho will have going for him in his next job is he'll be desperate to prove people wrong so it makes sense he'd go for a "project" Saying that, I would worry that his eye for a player is completely gone, looking at the shite he bought for Man Utd. Fred, Bailly and Sanchez alone are enough to counteract decent signings like Matic and...Matic.

Does buying big name players ever really work out for anyone? Quite often I end up thinking that certain players are really good in particular systems that have been built up around them in their 'formative' playing years, and taking them out of those environments often sees a drop in their overall playing quality.

I mean I think that particular point is why Man Utd can't buy their way to success again - they have a collection of individual superstar players who lack the supporting talents of their previous 'lesser lights' teammates.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was with you right until you said Phil Jones :lol:

:lol: Threw him in there for the laffles 

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Fair, hadn't thought of it that way. My perception of him is that he's a whining crybaby who blames everyone else. He could be the best manager in the world for all i care and i still wouldn't want him based on that personality. However, your point is interesting and i can see what you're saying.

Fair one, it’s a fine reason to not want a manager as he’s going to be the face of the club (one like Jose anyway). It would be worth it to see him take no prisoners on questions about the mackems mind. 

For player recruitment I think ewerk is right, I think he was blocked from a lot of the players he wanted to sign as Woodward went in for names. I remember seeing somewhere that he wanted Alderwierald in but those above him didn’t want an older player so blocked it. They have made a lot of dreadful signings either way mind :lol: 

Edited by Howay

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt