Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Tdansmith said:

I came here just to post this exact article :icon_lol:

• Haha 1

Interesting little lockdown filler for old cunts...

https://stusfootballflashbacks.com/2020/04/02/which-players-would-have-made-englands-1994-world-cup-squad/

If you put yourself into the mindset of dear old GT then it’s difficult to argue with any of these tbh...he’d never haven taken Cole or Beardsley though, he’d have taken Ian Wright and Nigel Clough. As the article says Rob Lee would’ve been good cover for Platt. As soon as Venables took over though Venison & Howey were straight in the squad. The only one of our excellent tram who struggled to get in but should’ve been in every squad was Andy Cole I seem to remember?..

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Interesting little lockdown filler for old cunts...

https://stusfootballflashbacks.com/2020/04/02/which-players-would-have-made-englands-1994-world-cup-squad/

If you put yourself into the mindset of dear old GT then it’s difficult to argue with any of these tbh...he’d never haven taken Cole or Beardsley though, he’d have taken Ian Wright and Nigel Clough. As the article says Rob Lee would’ve been good cover for Platt. As soon as Venables took over though Venidon & Howey were straight in the squad. The only one of our excellent tram who struggled to get in but should’ve been in every squad was Andy Cole I seem to remember?..

Aye I seen that on twitter and was going to comment but it's pointless sometimes arguing with those who are fucking clueless. As is the way with the international team, especially back in those days, was the established players stayed in way past their sell by date or players at clubs where the likes of Brian Woolnough etc would watch regularly. 94 probably would've come too soon for our players, not on talent but on getting recognition from pundits and journalists who would've had a lot of influence towards a managers selection despite that the manager's deny it. Rob Lee, Beardsley, Cole should've been certainties to be in the squad. If not for injury I'd even suggest Sellers being looked at. Howey should've been fast tracked and Beresford was unlucky in that the rest of football was still coming to terms with winger full backs IMO.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Aye I seen that on twitter and was going to comment but it's pointless sometimes arguing with those who are fucking clueless. As is the way with the international team, especially back in those days, was the established players stayed in way past their sell by date or players at clubs where the likes of Brian Woolnough etc would watch regularly. 94 probably would've come too soon for our players, not on talent but on getting recognition from pundits and journalists who would've had a lot of influence towards a managers selection despite that the manager's deny it. Rob Lee, Beardsley, Cole should've been certainties to be in the squad. If not for injury I'd even suggest Sellers being looked at. Howey should've been fast tracked and Beresford was unlucky in that the rest of football was still coming to terms with winger full backs IMO.

Yeah if you’re talking left wingers Sellars was a lot more consistent than Lee Sharpe. Difficult to see past Psycho for left back but Bez  was as good as an attacking full back as I’d seen at the time :good:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

Taylor was vilified by a horrendous English sporting press in much the same way as Robson before him. I do feel he played it ultra safe at times and I do think he was found out at that level. Preferring grafters in central midfield etc. But he seemed like a nice fella and the treatment he got was fucking disgusting tbh. He was still unlucky not to qualify in a tough group back when it was a lot harder to get to a World Cup. If he’d been able to play Shearer more he might’ve gotten to the finals 

• Like 2

Aye, this is worth another look since we've all got a bit of time on our hands.

Taylor and his team definitely come across as wallies at times, but the qualification group was properly tough - Norway were in pot 4 and went on to be FIFA-ranked 2nd in the world by the end of 1993 :lol: - and the press are absolute lowlifes.

Still should have been picking players on form though. <_<

• Like 1

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt