Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

So this is going to be the week when Mike Ashley can rightly say he is getting the hang of this football lark.

European ties against the likes of Benfica in April

A transfer / wage system that works

A squad that just keeps getting better

Great season ticket deals for fans

And a profit making football club

And all this before the the big bucks TV money rolls in.

Of course it hasn't been delivered without pain, but few revolutions are smooth.

We will rightly hear all sorts of praise for dynamic duo this week and once again our club will be heralded as the blue print for most clubs to follow.

So where now? What about the next few years? How can we as a club take advantage of this solid foundation and become a regular top four challenger?

Personally I think we'll have a few rough years ahead before he finally fully understands what's needed and appoints someone like Benitez.

We need a better head coach. Hanging on to Pardew will be what holds the Club back. The talent of the players exceeds the talent of the head coach.

Who's better who would work for the money Pardew is on though?...

And CT certainly didnt mention that the complete and uttter football genius that is Mike Ashley actually continues to employ a certain Mr A. Pardew....so everything in CT's NUFC garden isnt as rosey as he's painting it...he wants to break the most important relationship at the football club.

We are where we are, and we'll be this sort of club for as long as Ashley is in charge. Unless FFP somehow magically cripples the 3 wealthiest clubs we'll be very fortunate indeed to win anything. We can challenge for the top 4 regularly if Graham Carr keeps on delvering the goods player wise. Am happy enough with that, but am fucked if I'm going to give Ashley any credit for it. Trotting along like this is the bare minimum we should expect. Competence doesnt = genius.

You forgot to mention that we're six points off the relegation spots with a game more played.

I'm ignoring that point for a few reasons. The blame for that rests between recruitment and Pardew so rather than re-run that argument I was looking forward rather than backward.

Who's better who would work for the money Pardew is on though?...

You pay peanuts you get ....

When Pardew took over it wasn't clear what the business model was or where the Club might be heading. It's crystal clear now and i'd be confident a better quality coach / manager could be enticed.

Are we happy to suggest Pardew is a head coach figure rather than what would be percieved as a 'manager' in it's normal sense. IE; Player recruitment. Does anyone think Pardew gets the final yes or no on a player? Or, is a player added to the squad who fits the Ashley remit. Maybe Pardews involvement is dentifying positions to strengthen.

Shameless wummery from CT.

Explain, what exactly is genius about failing to recruit more than one first team player in the summer, leaving the squad and manager horribly exposed and a team that finished 5th the previous season in a relegation battle

Thank fuck he sorted out the mess of his own creation in the January window - finally some evidence that he's learning not to repeat previous fuck ups.

But Mike Ashley has barely looked competent for most of his time in charge so you'll have to forgive me for not decreeing him a genius just yet.

You pay peanuts you get ....

When Pardew took over it wasn't clear what the business model was or where the Club might be heading. It's crystal clear now and i'd be confident a better quality coach / manager could be enticed.

Are we happy to suggest Pardew is a head coach figure rather than what would be percieved as a 'manager' in it's normal sense. IE; Player recruitment. Does anyone think Pardew gets the final yes or no on a player? Or, is a player added to the squad who fits the Ashley remit. Maybe Pardews involvement is dentifying positions to strengthen.

Well yeah we could get a better coach in, but Ashley likes someone who "owes" him and if they dont jump to his tune and accept decade long contracts in lieu of a shorter but better paid one, there may be problems. The list of better coaches than Pardew willing to accept this is short I imagine. And more than likely not English. It could work. But I'd be very wary.

The other thing as you say is Pardew's role....he's the coach, part of the recruitment "team" but nowhere near the head of it. He's part of how a modern football club is set up. My mates dad has just retired from being Facilities Manager at St Mary's for Southampton FC. He says Adkins was seen as being on the same level as him, another "middle manager". For me, it looks like Ashley likes a similar set up.

Edited by PaddockLad

And CT certainly didnt mention that the complete and uttter football genius that is Mike Ashley actually continues to employ a certain Mr A. Pardew....so everything in CT's NUFC garden isnt as rosey as he's painting it...he wants to break the most important relationship at the football club.

We are where we are, and we'll be this sort of club for as long as Ashley is in charge. Unless FFP somehow magically cripples the 3 wealthiest clubs we'll be very fortunate indeed to win anything. We can challenge for the top 4 regularly if Graham Carr keeps on delvering the goods player wise. Am happy enough with that, but am fucked if I'm going to give Ashley any credit for it. Trotting along like this is the bare minimum we should expect. Competence doesnt = genius.

He's as bad as Leazesmag who lauded FFS but derided Souness and anyone who wanted to give him time.Deluded caths

I'm ignoring that point for a few reasons. The blame for that rests between recruitment and Pardew so rather than re-run that argument I was looking forward rather than backward.

Who is it that appointed Pardew and continues to support him? Who is it that sanctions the fees that allow the recruitment team to do their job?

Edited by ewerk

football genius ffs. it's just blatant fishing for bites. ashley's made so many spectaculaar fuck ups over the years, a more appropriate title for this thread would be: Mike Ashley - the long, slow and painful road to redemption

I think most un biassed onlookers will look at a shambles of a club just a few short years ago on the brink of heading into the depths of the football league never to be seen again. This week they will see a club that hasnt gambled on quick fixes but has instead ploughed a course to leave it as the envy of many in the premiership.

A solid foundation built on policies put in place by Ashley be that the cost cutting, the recruitment policy, the pay structure, the youth program, the long contracts, the season ticket price freezes and finally profit.

Obviously there have been mistakes along the way, this season included, but there is no denying that we head into the summer into a very solid position.

I was merely interested in how others think we should build on this and was trying to avoid making it about moi or my "agenda" (although mine and Tooj's agenda seems pretty similar) ;)

Personally I would have like to have seen Pardew upgraded, I still would, but its unlikely.

So putting that to one side, how can the club move from where we are now to challenging for the top four?

Paddock Lad thinks its unlikely and clings to his suspicions thats it's all about profit and finishing in the top 10. Thats fair enough, but Ashley has always struck me as the sort of person that wants more than that.

Of course they can just keep chucking improved players at Pardew and edge up that way but so far I am unconvinced that he has the ability to blend all of that together to create a slick team that can defend well and attack well.

I like the players we have in and around the midfield but I feel uneasy about Cisse on his own.

As we continue to grow, will Ashley return to a director of football or increase the coaching staff, moving Pardew gently up as he does it?

I think Ashley can consider the first half of the job done, but the next two / three years are the most important and will determine whether we can be a force for the future or just another mid table mediocre club.

If Mike Ashley strikes you as someone who wants "more" than Profit , then I believe you are very misguided.

The only "more" I could say, is personal fame / bragging rights.

Edited by scoobos

If Mike Ashley strikes you as someone who wants "more" than Profit , then I believe you are very misguided.

The only "more" I could say, is personal fame / bragging rights.

My point entirely! Its not about money its about being right, proving the football establishment wrong. Much more powerful motivators for him than simply money.

I'm not clinging to anything CT......Ashley's already shat himself once financially during his time here. After that he made changes; "we wipe our own mouth" etc...if thats the case the income has to be generated. Outside of selling the very good players we have, how do we steal a march on the other clubs with a similar income? If we do (when we do?) start selling to increase revenue for other hopefully better players, perhaps on bigger wages, then we may kick on. If not, we'll probably stay mid table ish. Doesn't take a genius to work that out, which is good news for you..and Mike :)

My point entirely! Its not about money its about being right, proving the football establishment wrong. Much more powerful motivators for him than simply money.

Accurate, but QF of the Europa does not yet vindicate him.

If FFP does indeed level the playing field then Ashley might come out of it looking better than he does now. if, as i suspect, it does little to change anything, then we will continue to blow hot and cold and are unlikely to regularly challenge the top 4, as a club of our size and potential ought to.

ashley still has to prove that performances on the pitch are as important as performances off the pitch. to do that we need to stop the revolving door transfer policy. keep hold of our best players and try to rid the current image we have as a stepping stone club for players to put themselves in the shop window then move on to better things after a season or two. only sell players for silly money in other words.

tbf to the so-called 'football genuis' he's yet to better the much maligned previous regime in terms of performances on the pitch and he helped guide us to a relegation. he has got a lot of ground to make up before we start talking about him in glowing terms.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I'm not clinging to anything CT......Ashley's already shat himself once financially during his time here. After that he made changes; "we wipe our own mouth" etc...if thats the case the income has to be generated. Outside of selling the very good players we have, how do we steal a march on the other clubs with a similar income? If we do (when we do?) start selling to increase revenue for other hopefully better players, perhaps on bigger wages, then we may kick on. If not, we'll probably stay mid table ish. Doesn't take a genius to work that out, which is good news for you..and Mike :)

Well we could have asked both those questions a couple of years ago and Ashley "the genius" found a way to do it by recruiting great talent, for pennies by concentrating on France.

Regardless of anything else its being a good policy that has paid off (and thats before we cash in on some of the players we have got for buttons).

The point of this thread was to venture a guess at what he'll do next?

Will we have a similar master stroke to play?

Does he have another plan to get us to the next level without simply throwing money at big signings on big wages (a policy which I agree is unlikely).

While the top four might be 4 or 5 years away in "his" grand plan, securing us as regular top six players would be good and may be doable.

Im sure he must look at some of the "smaller" clubs within the top 10 and wonder how they can do what they do without pots of money and lesser squads / players.

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt