Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

Asked whether Ashley took calls about player transfers at Newcastle United during the meeting in the pub, he said he could not recall that and that managers at his club were “really not interested in my opinion on football”.

“Do you think I make the decisions for Newcastle United?” he said. “I’m like the last person to know.”

14 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Asked whether Ashley took calls about player transfers at Newcastle United during the meeting in the pub, he said he could not recall that and that managers at his club were “really not interested in my opinion on football”.

“Do you think I make the decisions for Newcastle United?” he said. “I’m like the last person to know.”

He's probably telling the truth there, but he's set the framework that everyone will be operating under. The methodology will be approved by him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What's largely concerning me are two things from that:

1. It's a bit worrying that he's (probably) done this interview as a reaction to Rafa's repeated comments throughout the window which just continues to show that he's a big bairn who can't do two things right in a row. If this is going to end up with Rafa and Ashley throwing mud at each other indirectly in interviews, then it helps nobody and it's never going to end well.

2. Why is he mentioning £200 million cheques? There's no chance Rafa has asked for it, nobody expects us to spend that so who is he actually talking to? Once more, there's a middle ground between penny pinching and flagrant spending that he just doesn't understand. He gave Allardyce a fortune and it didn't work so he's give nobody else anything, regardless of the circumstances.

In the grand scheme, there's still players hanging around who refuse to take pay cuts to sign for Dinamo Binbag or whoever and that's a problem but it's a problem that Ashley's control has caused! Handing off money to Graham Carr to sign sub-par shite on big money that were always going to hang about like a bad smell. They're problems Rafa has inherited and he's absolutely right to be pissed off that less is being done about getting rid of them. What grates is that Ashley, whenever he speaks, doesn't appear to have any grasp on anything past the here and now. There's never been long-term thinking, it's always been whimsical decisions and they've nearly always been stupid. Granted, this isn't as bad as appointing Joe Kinnear or giving Dennis Wise control over transfers but it similarly helps nothing and will probably only piss Rafa off when he's trying to keep us in the league. 

It's just the same as he said before summer though, that the club can spend what it generates. I don't think Rafa's beef is how much there is to spend. Whoever fucked the Abraham deal up has pissed him off. Fuck knows what happened there. Now we're in a position where we're going to have to spend on a position that we could have filled with a loan. Should probably ask for Bony for a year.

7 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

What's largely concerning me are two things from that:

1. It's a bit worrying that he's (probably) done this interview as a reaction to Rafa's repeated comments throughout the window which just continues to show that he's a big bairn who can't do two things right in a row. If this is going to end up with Rafa and Ashley throwing mud at each other indirectly in interviews, then it helps nobody and it's never going to end well.

2. Why is he mentioning £200 million cheques? There's no chance Rafa has asked for it, nobody expects us to spend that so who is he actually talking to? Once more, there's a middle ground between penny pinching and flagrant spending that he just doesn't understand. He gave Allardyce a fortune and it didn't work so he's give nobody else anything, regardless of the circumstances.

In the grand scheme, there's still players hanging around who refuse to take pay cuts to sign for Dinamo Binbag or whoever and that's a problem but it's a problem that Ashley's control has caused! Handing off money to Graham Carr to sign sub-par shite on big money that were always going to hang about like a bad smell. They're problems Rafa has inherited and he's absolutely right to be pissed off that less is being done about getting rid of them. What grates is that Ashley, whenever he speaks, doesn't appear to have any grasp on anything past the here and now. There's never been long-term thinking, it's always been whimsical decisions and they've nearly always been stupid. Granted, this isn't as bad as appointing Joe Kinnear or giving Dennis Wise control over transfers but it similarly helps nothing and will probably only piss Rafa off when he's trying to keep us in the league. 

In some ways what he says is fair enough.  But yet again it shows that he has no real understanding of the football club or its supporters.

5 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

In some ways what he says is fair enough.  But yet again it shows that he has no real understanding of the football club or its supporters.

He's shown no understanding of anything really, other than how to stop momentum dead in it's tracks at a moment's notice. He's like a human brick wall.

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt