Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

7 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Speaking of dysfunctional clubs...

make of it whatever you want...

i've made my peace with the fact this isn't happening. 

seems like we’re not being bought. mike making it too difficult for whatever reason. money undoubtedly. so clock is ticking for a new manager and signing some players who know where the goal is. blinking desperate times 

8 minutes ago, zerosum said:

seems like we’re not being bought. mike making it too difficult for whatever reason. money undoubtedly. so clock is ticking for a new manager and signing some players who know where the goal is. blinking desperate times 

Will be interesting to hear what the actual number of people not renewing are. Shrinking attendances and another season with the prospect of relegation will hopefully show that he has gone too far this time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trophyshy said:

I can't recall if I found this on here but here it is anyway.  I loved this pub, often went there before the match in the early 90s.

Cracking place. Slalom D and Old Peculier on tap.

Some tremendous bands blues/rock/punk. Council wanted rid.... for some reason. Bastards.

41 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the egypt cottage, another belter 

Got made posh (ruined it) and is also no more 

Broken doll was an old school rough as fuck pub and great with it.

Just up from Svens there was a pub on the corner of Westgate Road called the Waterloo I think which did a roaring trade during a strike at S&N which lasted about six weeks in about 1983.  I have no idea if its still there. 

I was passing the site of the Barley Mow yssterday as it happens. Sad sight, something needs doing to it as it looks dangerous. My favourite ever pub. Who could forget old George Vickers and his harmonica. "Aye son." 

Broken doll i only ever went to to score drugs tbh. It was wierdly rough as fuck without actually feeling threatening. Btw, the Trent has had a bit of a makeover without ruining it, surprisingly. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

Broken doll was an old school rough as fuck pub and great with it.

Just up from Svens there was a pub on the corner of Westgate Road called the Waterloo I think which did a roaring trade during a strike at S&N which lasted about six weeks in about 1983.  I have no idea if its still there. 

Dog and Parrot area? 

53 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Loads of old class places got closed. Or 'upgraded'.

Ha the Percy became the Bee's Knees...... that went well

My favourite pub in town was The Haymarket Hotel. They served a cracking pint & the jukebox was really loud. Saturday afternoons in The Percy Arms playing pinball drinking cans of Red Stripe & double Jack & Coke chasers. Then trying to cross Percy Street to get to the Haymarket bus station, happy days 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

Dog and Parrot area? 

Further up - opposite the Tyne theatre. 

Looking on Google maps it's not there anymore. 

15 minutes ago, trooper said:

The Broken Doll used to sell Slalom D lager. You didnt need many of them mind 

CdIpf1EW0AAOA5n.jpg

931ff77c-5240-11e5-9906-cd1b81e42885.jpg

that looks a classy tipple.

bit like this belter from back in the day. i spewed my guts up after drinking four cans of the stuff when i was about 15

Image result for force 10 lager purple can

3 hours ago, trooper said:

The Broken Doll used to sell Slalom D lager. You didnt need many of them mind 

CdIpf1EW0AAOA5n.jpg

931ff77c-5240-11e5-9906-cd1b81e42885.jpg

that's a later picture of the doll after it was taken over by s&n.

matthew brown who sold slalom d (shudder!) and theakstons were subject to a hostile takeover by s&n in about '87ish.

the original matthew brown sign of a broken doll is really difficult to find, although i have got it somewhere, ill try and find it an old tower pc in the loft.

hat doffed to those who mentioned the barley mow, was another cracking pub back in the day, although the doll and the mayfair will always give me the fondest memories!

anyway, just thought id mention the s&n takeover by virtue of an ambiguous link to the thread itself! 

:)

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt