Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

I think he can rely on the likelihood that Newcastle won't get into Europe. We'd either need a cup victory, which is laughable, or gaining access via the league which, in the current model, is just as laughable. How many spots go to England now? 6? I cannot see it being an issue we need to face any time soon.

I'm not so sure wafa cup via the league is so out of the question. We had a horrendous start to the season and we aren't a kick in the arse off that position now. I'm in no way suggesting that will finish there this season but you currently have Liverpool, Manure & Spurs all looking shite so it's not out of the question that an unfancied team will get at leaset one of the league positions.

Given that Ashley has given up the naming rights to Ibrox (which to me suggests he's realised he won't be able use it to advertise SD in Europe) I agree with HF that he'll soon have SD all over their shirts. In which case he'd much rather them be in Europe than us. With us he can just get all the free advertisng from the premier league.

I wonder why sports direct isn't our shirt sponsor already

Is there much need for it when their name is plastered all round the ground already? Would the benefit of having their names on our shirts be greater than the loss of income from Wonga. I assume they have decided not (same as having Wonga pay for the stadium naming rights).

Obviously I'm working on the assumption that they woudln't pay us anything if their names were on the shirts.

he's hangiung in hoping some idiot foreigner will see us as a well established side, big ground (so no big building programme needed), massive support, where kicking in £ 200 mm would make us a serious player

he isn't going to put that money in but we must be an attractive bit of goods to the right investor - and then exit MA laughing his head off at us punters

Is there much need for it when their name is plastered all round the ground already? Would the benefit of having their names on our shirts be greater than the loss of income from Wonga. I assume they have decided not (same as having Wonga pay for the stadium naming rights).

Obviously I'm working on the assumption that they woudln't pay us anything if their names were on the shirts.

don't know. the exposure SD would get from the being plastered right there on the shirt on TVs around the world every time we play a game no matter the ground might be worth more to him than the money we receive from the likes of Wonga.

don't know. the exposure SD would get from the being plastered right there on the shirt on TVs around the world every time we play a game no matter the ground might be worth more to him than the money we receive from the likes of Wonga.

The money has been important in the past when he was subsidising us. Now that we're turning a profit every year he may decide that he can get his brand on our shirts without it costing him a penny.

he's hangiung in hoping some idiot foreigner will see us as a well established side, big ground (so no big building programme needed), massive support, where kicking in £ 200 mm would make us a serious player

he isn't going to put that money in but we must be an attractive bit of goods to the right investor - and then exit MA laughing his head off at us punters

Stunning analysis. :lol:

...and yet depressingly accurate

Is it though?

I don't think he's "hanging around" on the off chance Richie Rich fancies spunking £200m. I think that he's built one of the only professional football clubs on the planet that actually turn a profit, he's got his real passion thrust into the Premier League spotlight and has seen it blossom.. he's almost benefited from receiving a shit storm of abuse, in that he doesn't care either way about how he's perceived by the fans of the club he owns. Now, distanced from the emotion of a football club, he can make whatever decision best progresses his agenda with a cold objectivity that many owners do not have.

Even Mansour and Abramovic want their team to win stuff because it's an extension of their egos, Ashley couldn't give a fuck what Newcastle do, as long as we stay up and his baby stays bathed in the glow of a million TVs.

...and yet depressingly accurate

It's cliche-ridden speculation. He's actually refused to turn up to meetings with potentially serious investors in the past as well.

i reckon if some billy bollocks came along with enough wedge ashley would sell up sharpish

Obviously. That's different to just hanging onto the club in the hope of a buyer. He's got a strategy for the club which appears to be medium term at least.

i reckon if some billy bollocks came along with enough wedge ashley would sell up sharpish

Yeah, but that's not the same, is it. I mean, that's true of pretty much every owner.

• 2 weeks later...

If it means we don't play the Europa league games Mike will be happy. Fewer games to distract from the ultimate aim of surviving in the premier league

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt