Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

HFs credentials will be shot if he's 39 million out like :D

It's all complete guesswork. That's why Luke Edwards has gone for £30m to £50m.

Typo above though, absolute max is £65m. Think that would shock some people but no reason to suppose it shouldn't be that.

At 50 he's the richest person in Britain under 62 year old.

7 of the other 10 richest Brits inherited their wealth or the companies they grew into that wealth too.

Basically the most successful British businessman of a generation, and entirely self-made.

I'm opening myself to a world of hurt come the summer but I become more certain every day that he'll be pushing the club on with a better manager and a host of prudent signings for next season.

At 50 he's the richest person in Britain under 62 year old.

7 of the other 10 richest Brits inherited their wealth or the companies they grew into that wealth too.

Basically the most successful British businessman of a generation, and entirely self-made.

I'm opening myself to a world of hurt come the summer but I become more certain every day that he'll be pushing the club on with a better manager and a host of prudent signings for next season.

Have you banged your head recently?

Have you banged your head recently?

Maybe I've been duped. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

I've written a few times that the finances are still a disgrace. But we're gettting to the point now where the TV income makes that an irrelevance. We'll report an operating profit for the first time in the 13/14 accounts and the club spends what it earns on improving the club.

What does it matter if the Matchday income is down £5m over 8 years? Or commercial income is down £10m even, when the TV deal goes up £50m every 3 years?

Net spend was £41m more in 14/15 than it was in 13/14. He's recouped his £29m from relegation and the club can now spend EVERYTHING it earns.

It CAN. Fairly sure it won't though. There's no 'extra' money to be made by spending £30mil on players. The TV money stays the same whether we finish 6th or 16th. It doesn't serve any purpose for Ashley to make us competitive.

The same reason applies to him having his entire workforce on zero hour contracts. He can afford not to but why bother?

It CAN. Fairly sure it won't though. There's no 'extra' money to be made by spending £30mil on players. The TV money stays the same whether we finish 6th or 16th. It doesn't serve any purpose for Ashley to make us competitive.

The same reason applies to him having his entire workforce on zero hour contracts. He can afford not to but why bother?

There's a £24m difference between 6th and 16th on the current package. in 2016/2017 that's expected to grow to £38m.

http://swissramble.blogspot.de/2015/02/the-premier-league-tv-deal-master-and.html

I suppose there's a bit of extra prize money (£1m a place or something I think). Plus success leads to extra TV money in theory I think as you get more per appearance. I think HF might be onto something as I think he might get a decent coach in. I don't think it's because of any particular desire to see us win things (and I certainly don't see the 'value' for Ashley in spending the money required for a challenge for a Champions League place). What I do think is that, as the TV money grows, he can spend some of it on making sure he's protecting his investment / keeping us in the league. Aiming for 12th-ish and ticking over is alright in theory but I think Ashley would perhaps regard doing that as an unnecessary risk. Also, the Pardew compensation would probably pay for a decent manager in any case. Carver and relegation (which would be entirely possible and almost certainly too close for comfort doesn't make business sense). I'm no less cynical about Ashley but I could see him spending a bit more (though not necessarily all it earns). You also have to factor in the loss of the exposure to Sports Direct overseas if we went down again.

I was thinking about last years summer window, we spent £37m, right? Well while it's fair to say Ferreyra, De Jong and (arguably) Riviere were gambles that didn't pay off, the others arguably did. Perez and Janmaat have been quality, Cabella probably would have been more important if he'd been played properly by Pardew throughout.

I've not given up on SDJ or Riviere, but I'd be massively surprised if FF features at all.

So my point is this; next season we'll go into the window with a good 'keeper, young defenders with potential (Lascelles, Haidara), a quality RB (Janmaat) Decent midfielders like Cabella, Sissoko, De Jong, some options upfront; Perez, Cisse.

Some squad players like Darlow, Colo, Dummett, Colback, Tiote, Anita, Sammy, Aarons, Obertan, Gouffran, Armstrong, Riviere

We'd need another window like last summer (£37m) to fill the gaping holes; Centre back, Centre mid, Striker. Especially as we're likely losing MS.

I can't imagine that we'll spend big, I think the hope will be that Garde brings in a new coaching team and improves the players we've got + another summer of initial excitement as we sign 2 or 3 young exciting players (only to find out we'll not see them until 2016/17) a decent wide player and totally fail to address the problems.

Edited by The Fish

I think he'll still be with us as I don't think he's a Champions League standard player and if he went to a big club he'd get lost in the shuffle and probably be a squad player for most. So I don't see a club spending big money on him.

Yeah, I see him the same way as Tiote. Much more valuable to us than he would be to just about any CL club, so we'll not sell at the prices offered.

Not to say he won't go cheaper as we approach 2019, or for free in 2019. But think he's staying put for a couple of years, no matter how much he touts himself about.

I think he'll still be with us as I don't think he's a Champions League standard player and if he went to a big club he'd get lost in the shuffle and probably be a squad player for most. So I don't see a club spending big money on him.

That won't stop him leaving.

Yeah, I see him the same way as Tiote. Much more valuable to us than he would be to just about any CL club, so we'll not sell at the prices offered.

Not to say he won't go cheaper as we approach 2019, or for free in 2019. But think he's staying put for a couple of years, no matter how much he touts himself about.

Yeah as I wrote it I realised I see him as the same as Tiote a few year ago! He's our standout player but that he wouldn't be a standout player at a higher profile club.

He's not a 10 goal a season midfielder, he's not a dominant midfielder (like Yaya Toure or even Matic) or massively creative so unless he has a full season consistently proving he can make a step up to a Champions League Club then I think he'll stay until his price goes down because his contract will be wearing down.

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt