Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

£600m for a bigger club, closer to the promised land, with an excellent playing squad, a good manager, and so on.

Or trying to strike a deal with Mike Ashley, Justin Barnes and Luke Charnley. The A, B, & C of corporate cunts. Where the goal posts will move during the negotiations, the valuation is already inflated, the club need more investment on the squad, on the facilities etc.

fwiw I think Newcastle United are a better proposition for investors than most club in the country, but Liverpool are one of the most famous clubs on the planet and wouldn't need a sizeable investment to actually compete with Man City et al.

I don't know where the promised land is or who Luke Charnley is.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

I don't know where the promised land is or who Luke Charnley is.

Title challenging, and Lee Charnley. Pretty hungover tbf.

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Klopp isn't a good enough manager to challenge for the title imo.

It's interesting, when the parts click, they're excellent. But there must be something to explain why, when they stop clicking, they struggle so much to win games. They have the talent, the workrate, the invention and "game management". 

He doesn't seem able to get them to grind out a win. That might be a lack of a goal scorer who can have a pretty quiet game, but still be relied upon to put the ball in the back of the net like Kane, Lukaku, Joselu. Or it might be that Klopp's coaching is lacking that department.

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

So she's gone to an away game as a guest of NUFC related folk and sat with them, then disappeared down the tunnel with a Benitez associate because she wants to buy LFC? Unlikely. It was reported that she was looking at more than one club though so perhaps she's having a last throw of the dice with them before moving on. A billion quid valuation will kill off that anyway though.

Likely just the mirror stirring the pot.

This. You don’t go to an away game to make enquiries. You also don’t go to NUFC v Stoke unless you’re interested. It could be that she’s made enquiries about both clubs about a possible purchase as she did with both us and City when they got bought over.

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

This. You don’t go to an away game to make enquiries. You also don’t go to NUFC v Stoke unless you’re interested. It could be that she’s made enquiries about both clubs about a possible purchase as she did with both us and City when they got bought over.

Aye maybe so, and if the choice was between us and West Ham, or Everton I'd fancy us to win out. But Liverpool are a different beast entirely.

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aye maybe so, and if the choice was between us and West Ham, or Everton I'd fancy us to win out. But Liverpool are a different beast entirely.

Yes but if they’re playing hardball with pie in the sky figures she has shown that she’ll walk away and go to a more reasonable vendor. Hopefully Justin Barnes is easier to work with than Ashley and Llambias were.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:13 AM, Howay said:

Charnley can’t even handle sacking Steve McClaren during a disasterous run that made it easy as fuck to sack him. I’ve no doubt Ashley will have him heading up the negotiation team for this possible £400m transaction. 

It would be better if they had Joe Kinnear involved.  The price would end up being $400.

20 hours ago, ewerk said:

Yes but if they’re playing hardball with pie in the sky figures she has shown that she’ll walk away and go to a more reasonable vendor. Hopefully Justin Barnes is easier to work with than Ashley and Llambias were.

That's the kernel of my concerns. Ashley is a notoriously difficult negotiator, and Barnes apparently has a reputation for being a pain the arse.

But he's willing to sell now, which is the key difference to last time. Of course they'll want the best deal they can get but the club has effectively been up for sale for years and we don't appear to have seen any serious interest so he knows what an opportunity this could be. On the other hand I don't think that FSG have any interest in selling Liverpool barring an offer too good to turn down.

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But he's willing to sell now, which is the key difference to last time. Of course they'll want the best deal they can get but the club has effectively been up for sale for years and we don't appear to have seen any serious interest so he knows what an opportunity this could be. On the other hand I don't think that FSG have any interest in selling Liverpool barring an offer too good to turn down.

No, I get all that, but I'm tempering any excitement at the prospect of any possible new owner because of Ashley's intractable nature. He says he's happy to sell, but the price tag seems high and he's known for shifting the goalposts (apparently), on top of that the only thing he's ever cared about is the promotion of Sports Direct so I wouldn'tbe surprised if he insists on some kind of SD deal for merchandise or whatever.

I dunno, perhaps I am being too cynical, but if Staveley wants to buy a Premier League club I'm convinced Ashley and his cronies would prove too much of a pain in the arse to deal with?

19 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think you're better just sitting back and waiting to see if anything develops like the rest of us.

I'm just thinking ahead mate, like the rest of us.

Chronicle reporting that ashley has reduced his asking price for the club from more than £450million to around £380m in an attempt to attract interest.
Could he really actually be trying to shift it now?

I mean its from chronicle like so he's probably actually renamed the tea lady sports direct, but..

4 minutes ago, ToonMarshy said:

Chronicle reporting that ashley has reduced his asking price for the club from more than £450million to around £380m in an attempt to attract interest.
Could he really actually be trying to shift it now?

I mean its from chronicle like so he's probably actually renamed the tea lady sports direct, but..

Those numbers have been doing the rounds quite a bit recently, so I think we can safely say that £380m is the asking price.

Still feel like we're getting a bit invested in this though. It ain't gonna happen.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Those numbers have been doing the rounds quite a bit recently, so I think we can safely say that £380m is the asking price.

Still feel like we're getting a bit invested in this though. It ain't gonna happen.

100% with you.

Similar to the Rafa appointment - its one of those things that i would rather wake up one morning and go 'Holy shit, Rafas our manager! / Ashley sold the club! / Diame remembers how to play football!' completely out the blue and against all odds, than to try and put all the pieces together making 2+2=5 and then getting disappointed.

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

To be fair I think we're mostly coming up with reasons why it won't happen. Even those who're coming up with reasons why it might are probably just doing so to have a conversation about it. 

I don't think anyone is convinced it will happen.

Chinese consortia are “sniffing around” Newcastle United - and a football-takeover expert insists he would advise them to purchase the Magpies because they “have the potential to be a Champions League club every year”. 

:unsure:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chinese-consortia-sniffing-around-newcastle-13761614

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt