Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

Middle East powerbroker fuels rumours of takeover

Before kick-off, there was a minute’s applause in memory of Freddy Shepherd, an opportunity for Newcastle United to consider what they were. There was a time, not too long ago, when the club gazed at the stars and if they occasionally tripped over their bootlaces while they did so, their failure was in execution rather than ambition. They have rarely lined both up seamlessly at St James’ Park.

Shepherd, who died last week, Sir John Hall and Freddie Fletcher were the businessmen who hauled Newcastle back from a state of financial decrepitude in the early 1990s, renovating the stadium, modernising the club and providing a platform for Kevin Keegan and his successors to compete in the Premier League. Their legacy stands in concrete and steel and glass, in the statues of Alan Shearer and Sir Bobby Robson outside the ground.

In the directors’ box yesterday, there was a glimpse of what Newcastle could be, fragile and early though it was. Amanda Staveley was present for the match against Liverpool, albeit in an unofficial capacity, sitting beside Margaret Aspinall, the Hillsborough campaigner, who was Rafa Benítez’s guest of honour. A woman with great wealth at her disposal, Staveley is widely reported to be interested in purchasing a Premier League club.

Newcastle are for sale, there is no doubt about that. More than once, Ashley has officially placed the club on the market and, more than once, the asking price or the febrility long associated with his ownership — two relegations, those bizarre decisions — has conspired against a successful resolution, but the background noise has increased recently, in part because of the sportswear retailer’s own words.

There was more than a hint of wishful thinking to suggestions this summer that Chinese investors were looking at Newcastle, but several interested parties are now understood to have signed non-disclosure agreements with the club. That means they are talking. “If somebody would like to come along and take this seat and fund Newcastle with a nought on the end with their wealth more than me, I will not stand in Newcastle United’s way,” Ashley said recently.

Staveley is not at that stage. Not even close. There have been no direct discussions between her and Ashley and no formal communication between her and the club — she was on Tyneside with friends, associates said — but the financier has a pedigree in football, playing a role in the takeover of Manchester City by Sheikh Mansour and, in early 2008, attempting to buy Liverpool for Dubai International Capital, when Benítez was at Anfield. There was another attempt last year.

It has been written of Staveley, a former girlfriend of Prince Andrew, that she manages a fund of as much as £28 billion, mainly originating from the Middle East. It does not take much imagination to wonder what Newcastle might do with a fraction of that sum, particularly with a man like Benítez at the helm. A club who have always been defined by potential might finally have the means of converting it.

Staveley saw what Newcastle are, what Benítez has made them. She saw the banners fluttering in the Gallowgate End, the flag which echoed a song which Valencia supporters sung about their fellow Spaniard: “We will follow you everywhere, we’ll always have your back. In spite of the lies they tell us, we’ll never doubt you. We are with you.” She will have heard fans chant the name of Shepherd, their former chairman.

Ashley’s predecessors were not without flaws. There was too much interference with managers, a fascination with Hollywood signings over team-building. Newcastle made them wealthier and they left behind an overstretched club, but when they changed managers, their thinking was usually clear. It would be: maybe this fella will finally win us something.

Benítez is their kind of manager, which is precisely what made Ashley’s decision to appoint him so out of character. Ashley knows the bottom line, cost-cutting, saving money. Above all else, he knows how to promote and protect Sports Direct, his company. When Benítez arrived at Newcastle, he talked about history and stature, the number of fans, concepts that had been lost. And that word once again: potential.

On the pitch, Newcastle are drilled, organised, adept and rigorous in defence, everything you would expect of a Benítez team. It is populated by youngsters, by triers, by players such as Joselu, an unheralded £5 million addition from Stoke City, who worked prodigiously and warranted a goal that was brushed by good fortune. They could be more, though, which Ashley never quite appears to grasp.

Benítez was asked if he had heard anything new about a takeover. “In the last 90 minutes?” he asked. “I was just focusing on the noise.” On days such as this, it can still be rousing, still stir the soul. The obvious question: was Staveley or anybody else listening?

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Weren't those pictures taken during a failed bid to buy Liverpool? 

I've not seen anything to say she's categorically a Liverpool fan, and even if she is why hasn't she been spotted at other games? Certainly she's more likely (if she's a Liverpool fan) to go to Anfield for a game against Man Utd, or Chelsea? Rather than a Sunday away trip to Newcastle?

I'm skeptical that we're about to bought out by some Oil rich billionaire, but when you add her attendance of a less than glamourous tie, to the previous rumours about Ashley looking to sell, it adds weight to the rumour doesn't it? It could just be that she's mates with Rafa and she was just another in the long list of famous faces in the crowd, I mean there were plenty of ex-players and managers with links to both clubs, but given everything else I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it out of hand.

I get all that but it's partly her sitting with Rafa's guest for the day that makes me think she's just a fan (at the moment) She's certainly more likely to be a Liverpool fan than to have some sort of connection to Steve Wraith id imagine :lol:

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I get all that but it's partly her sitting with Rafa's guest for the day that makes me think she's just a fan (at the moment) She's certainly more likely to be a Liverpool fan than to have some sort of connection to Steve Wraith id imagine :lol:

I just don't get the connection between her and this fixture. Why this game? Liverpool host Manchester United next. If Amanda Staveley is a Liverpool fan that rarely attends games, surely she'd pick that one, rather than the game at St James'.

Clear to me that we're being bought out by some Scrooge McDuck type, we're going to show that Messi, Neymar and the a magically restored Pele can do it on a cold Monday in Stoke and we'll win the league on the last day of the season. :nufc:

Only this place could completely ignore the repeated reportings of a billion pound takeover of the club because one of the women in question is a Liverpool fan. I reckon that would definitely stop her brokering that deal and forgoing any massive fortune that would come of it.

5 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Only this place could completely ignore the repeated reportings of a billion pound takeover of the club because one of the women in question is a Liverpool fan. I reckon that would definitely stop her brokering that deal and forgoing any massive fortune that would come of it.

We're not a fan base that has a great track record of getting things we hope for though :lol:

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I just don't get the connection between her and this fixture. Why this game? Liverpool host Manchester United next. If Amanda Staveley is a Liverpool fan that rarely attends games, surely she'd pick that one, rather than the game at St James'.

Clear to me that we're being bought out by some Scrooge McDuck type, we're going to show that Messi, Neymar and the a magically restored Pele can do it on a cold Monday in Stoke and we'll win the league on the last day of the season. :nufc:

Could it not just be that she's a busy woman and was available to attend this game?  I mean it's not like it will be difficult for her to scrape together the money for the mega bus up here is it.

It's an interesting story that I'll be following, but I'll avoid wanking myself silly over it (although she might just about be worth knocking one out over regardless) until we have something a little more concrete.

She's definitely there to broker a deal, there's no doubt about it.

I take it we've all seen the bizzare flag that popped up in the Percy a few weeks ago with her face on it? :lol: 

18 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Could it not just be that she's a busy woman and was available to attend this game?  I mean it's not like it will be difficult for her to scrape together the money for the mega bus up here is it.

It's an interesting story that I'll be following, but I'll avoid wanking myself silly over it (although she might just about be worth knocking one out over regardless) until we have something a little more concrete.

No, it couldn't be that. Don't be ridiculous. Clearly we're going to witness the start of an era of total dominance of the domestic and European leagues, the kind of dynasty that defines the sport.

53 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No, it couldn't be that. Don't be ridiculous. Clearly we're going to witness the start of an era of total dominance of the domestic and European leagues, the kind of dynasty that defines the sport.

Oh well in that case :nufc::nufc::nufc::nufc::nufc::nufc::nufc:

In my vast experience of football takeovers I've found that those involved in the deal tend to look like Tory wide boys. So this is good news.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He’s not buying us so I don’t give a shit.

I was more meaning he doesn’t have the Liverpool connection like that Amanda does to give another reason for him being there. If it’s in reference to him being a total bell whiff, then aye completely agree he’d only be a middle man. 

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt