Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another billionaire has rolled into town

Fucking depressing that they'll immediately surpass us, in terms of ambition at least.

Fucking Fulham. :lol:

Fucking depressing that they'll immediately surpass us, in terms of ambition at least.

Almost everyone passes us in terms of ambition, Swansea Southampton Norwich take your pick :lol:

@@aimaad22

Again, the window isn't shut yet unless I'm much mistaken. Perhaps you should judge as at a fair time, not now?

Havent we had this discussion before?

Its all too familiar mate, Im expecting a couple of signings but thats not really the point here. Point is smaller clubs seem far more agile and better planned than us.

His NFL team are not known for lavish expenditure.

That and Mike Ashley is better off financially than him.

Not saying he won't be more ambitious regardless, with that said.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

They are bankrolled, but in sporting terms they've been stronger for years.

Fulham: 12th - 9th - 8th - 12th - 7th

Newcastle: 16th - 5th - 12th - division below - 18th

Not sure Fulham will improve much under the new owner,

think it will be more a case of them being able to keep up with the level they've been at in recent years.

They are bankrolled, but in sporting terms they've been stronger for years.

Fulham: 12th - 9th - 8th - 12th - 7th

Newcastle: 16th - 5th - 12th - division below - 18th

Not sure Fulham will improve much under the new owner,

think it will be more a case of them being able to keep up with the level they've been at in recent years.

For Years?

I don't think that's true. We've finished just ahead of them on average position over the past ten years (that's including being skewed by our season out of the league). We've had 3 top 5 finishes to their 0 and that's just in the past 10 years. Since the Premier League's inception out average league position is tenth. Theirs? 30th. For 30 years? Ours is 15th, theirs is 37th.

Their Average attendance? 25,394 (16,616 all time), ours was 50,517 (can't find overall average)

That's why I baulk at a club like that potentially surpassing us in terms of ambition.

5 years is a long time, they've been better in that periode.

10 years ago is for the history books, Newcastle was even in Champions League back then, can't live on that forever.

They are as said bankrolled by their owner, and yes has little support.
But their team has been solid since Hodgson saved them from relegation back in 2008.

People in the stands doesn't matter as much as it used to, due to tv money and owner input.

5 years is a long time, they've been better in that periode.

10 years ago is for the history books, Newcastle was even in Champions League back then, can't live on that forever.

They are as said bankrolled by their owner, and yes has little support.

But their team has been solid since Hodgson saved them from relegation back in 2008.

People in the stands doesn't matter as much as it used to, due to tv money and owner input.

By any measure you'd care to put forward we're a bigger club than Fulham, and as such our owner should appreciate that and show a suitable level of ambition. I'm not expecting him to bankrupt himself on the off chance we win the league, just that when I look around and see Southampton, Norwich et al throwing money at their shortcomings and securing some genuine talent, we're chasing a kid to fill one of our stronger areas... 3rd choice 'keeper.

Fulham FFS

Edited by The Fish

Agree that Newcastle at least should keep up with those clubs spending yes,

really no excuse not to spend £20m net this summer as that is the increase clubs get from tv rights.

I know Ashley has lost money on this project, but he have to make sure the club is doing well in the Prem and is attractive

if he intend to sell the club. He won't get the money he's after from location that's for sure

Edited by 1977

Agree that Newcastle at least should keep up with those clubs spending yes,

really no excuse not to spend £20m net this summer as that is the increase clubs get from tv rights.

I know Ashley has lost money on this project, but he have to make sure the club is doing well in the Prem and is attractive

if he intend to sell the club. He won't get the money he's after from location that's for sure

Strange assertion.

I think it can now be officially considered 'concerning' that we haven't signed anyone. I actually miss Llambias - at least he'd have been out there looking for deals based on value rather than whether or not he's actually heard of the player.

It's not actually that long until the season starts now. I think what some people here have been saying is 100% right; we'll end up with Darren Bent and that's about it. So that'll be two goal poachers, both equally frustrated that they have no strike partner to play off, and both getting into the same positions. Unless the plan is for only one to be playing, in which case we're ultimately no stronger than last year, except the team is more disillusioned.

From where we are now, I would actually consider it satisfying if all we did this summer was buy two strikers, even if one was Bent. Could do with another central defender and perhaps some fullback support, but let's not push it.

Do you reckon we can get Ba back? I saw he was being touted with a move to Villa today...

If the complaint is how come Fulham are spending more than us, what the fuck does 'we're a bigger club' have to do with it?

The only metric relevant to the complaint is spending power, in which case history or lack of it is unfortunately irrelevant. Supporter number are increasingly less important too. If the average Fulham fan has twice the income then having half the support becomes less relevant.

Other clubs have money too and some have more disposable income despite less historical success or support.

If the complaint is how come Fulham are spending more than us, what the fuck does 'we're a bigger club' have to do with it?

The only metric relevant to the complaint is spending power, in which case history or lack of it is unfortunately irrelevant. Supporter number are increasingly less important too. If the average Fulham fan has twice the income then having half the support becomes less relevant.

Other clubs have money too and some have more disposable income despite less historical success or support.

It's fairly straight forward. Newcastle United should be spending sums in accordance to their ambition. Newcastle United should have designs on the top 6 at least. If other clubs are spending more than Newcastle, they are likely to replace Newcastle United in the pantheon of "big clubs". Ashley couldn't give a toss about anything other than Premier League survival and when I see fans of clubs around us excited about the season to come, I grow more and more dejected and less and less bothered about football.

Fulham have a new owner who is likely to have ambitions on Europe, at least. We have an owner who has ambitions to flog his pikey tat.

I think I'm approaching the end of it with Newcastle to be honest, I just can't get excited about this season yet. I hope I'm proved wrong and we go off and sign a few players, but I think what is more likely is that Ashley will hold off spending money until 1) Pardew goes, 2) the player's price comes down by £500k. Another mediocre midtable season is approaching and under this manager there seems like that is the height of his ambition.

Exactly what we need. New keeper and new defender. Meanwhile the club are doing their best to force our only striker to ask for a transfer

And Norwich have went and got Leroy Fer, another player I'd of had at Newcastle. The Cisse move is a nightmare, whatever your stance is on the topic he's our only option at the moment.