Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-distance-themselves-stewart-5668714

Does noone (including the man himself) read Ryder's articles before they get published?

"out sister paper the Liverpool Echo"

"Jonas, Hatem Ben Arfa, Yoan Gouffran and Hatem Ben Arfa"

The guy is a moron.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does the idea of just a one year loan for Remy want to make me puke just a little.

I would have felt better identifying a young stud and signing him to a proper contract instead.

Like Dan Gosling?

No smartass. I don't ever recall Gosling described as a young CF stud.

Aulas has lodged a complaint about destabilising players. Not sure who the complaint is against, could be us, his agents or someone else.

Alan Pardew has ordered Newcastle stars to up the intensity and scrap for their places.

For a start, the Newcastle boss wants every first-team player to have a rival snapping at their heels - rather than last season’s situation when too few fringe men mounted firm bids for a run in the team.

Pardew fielded what represents his strongest current line-up in a friendly at Scottish side Rangers on Tuesday (minus new signing Loic Remy), proving what a decent first XI the Magpies still have despite an unsettled summer with the distractions of off-field politics and the arrival of Joe Kinnear as director of football.

That meant the likes of France international Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Jonas Gutierrez - regulars last season - were left on the bench for the 1-1 draw.

And others could be similarly dropped if significant new signings arrive.

Pardew admits he has toughened up training in pre-season to improve fitness levels, and brought in strength and conditioning coach Faye Downey - who has worked with elite rugby players - to improve the squad's injury record.

Downey has impressed with her attention to detail and revealed this week that she has held specific sessions on “intensity on the pitch” and strength sessions and also reviewed player nutrition.

Pardew has conceded that Newcastle’s training was on the light side last season because of the recovery sessions needed after Europa League games.

That left the handful of players who didn’t play in Europe to train as a small group.

Pardew wants that number to be up to 10 this year, with more of a focus on those 'outcasts' winning back their places.

"There are no excuses this year," he said. "The guys are in great condition. Their levels have been very high. We have worked very, very hard and have got everyone back fit now.

"Everyone is looking forward to the opener against Manchester City. It is on a Monday night and there will be hundreds of millions watching.

"We must start well. Our performance levels need to be the highest.

"If we had a bigger group last year, maybe we would have had a bit more intensity in the group.

"Mistakes were made last season. You need to be honest enough to admit them and look at when and why they were made.

“I also think that the Thursday-Sunday scenario [Premier League matches had to be put back 24 hours because of playing in the Europa League] took away from a lot of the good work we were doing on the training ground because we didn’t have enough time to recover.

“I think you see Jonas Gutierrez’s point that training last year was probably a bit too easy.

“A lot of that was down to recovery. It was difficult to get in the amount of work we were doing the year before.

“We didn’t purchase enough players in the summer to carry us through two programmes. We took injuries on board when those two competitions were running parallel and that impacted on us massively when we were moving towards Christmas and we got ourselves into a bad situation.”

To create competition, Pardew wants two or three new faces.

The club have denied moving for Liverpool winger Stewart Downing, though.

Top target Bafetimbi Gomis has described his proposed £8m switch to Newcastle as “complicated” and not only his decision, as his French club Lyon haggle with him over a pay-off and his agent fees.

However, the France striker has been “liking” pictures of Newcastle sent to him on the social networks, hinting yhat a move is still possible, and writing: “I hope score a lot of goal here or somewhere else.”

Scott Sinclair looking to leave Man City, but wants a permanent move, not just another loan. He's on £50k a week. Would you take him?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10227164/Luis-Suarez-calls-on-Liverpool-to-keep-promise-to-let-him-leave-the-club-this-summer-as-Arsenal-waits.html

Luis Suárez told Telegraph Sport on Tuesday night that he will hand in a transfer request before the end of the week if Liverpool do not clear the way for him to move to Arsenal.

“I want to move to play in the Champions League and there is a club offering me that opportunity,” he said. “I have told the manager that I want to leave the club.

"I am being accused of showing a lack of loyalty but last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we did not qualify for the Champions League the following season then I would be allowed to go.

“I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish. Now all I want is that Liverpool honour our agreement.

“Last season, we told Liverpool there was interest from a top European club but they told me: ‘we have a new coach, we are going to push for the Champions League’. I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me: ‘stay another season, and you have my word, if we don’t make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave’.

“Liverpool is a club with a reputation for doing things the right way, I just want them to abide by the promises made last season.”

Suárez says his contract was amended to include a clause, which, to his understanding, would allow him to leave if an offer for over £40 million came in.

“I have the club’s word and we have the written contract and we are happy to take this to the Premier League for them to decide the case but I do not want it to come to that,” insisted Suárez. “We have the backing of the PFA.”

Suárez signed for Liverpool in January 2011 from Ajax for £22.8 million and starred under Kenny Dalglish scoring 21 goals in 52 games, although his time at Anfield has often been marked by controversy, including being banned for racist comments against Manchester United’s Patrice Evra and also for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.

When new manager Rodgers came in he wanted to tie the player down until 2016 and increase his wages to £80,000 a week. But Liverpool had a fight on their hands because there was an offer – understood to be from Juventus – on the table.

Suárez says: “That was the moment to show my loyalty to Liverpool and I did. They had given me my chance in England and stood up for me through my ban. I know I have made mistakes in my time here but I have apologised many times over. This is not about that. This is about the club having agreed to something both verbally and in the contract which they are now not honouring.”

But now the player believes Liverpool are unfairly painting a picture of an ungrateful player who simply wants to abandon his club.

“I am 26, I need to be playing in the Champions League. I feel I have done enough to be playing in the Champions League at this stage of my career. Now there is an option for me to do that and I want very much to take it.

“I don’t feel betrayed but the club promised me something a year ago just as I promised them that I would stay and try everything possible to get us into the Champions League.

“They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. It is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract.

“I don’t think the supporters are angry, I think they understand a player when he has the ambition to triumph at the highest level. I am 26-years-old, I was a long time at Ajax without playing many games in the Champions League. I’m not going to another club to hurt Liverpool.

“I am always going to be grateful to Liverpool for everything. But I have to put my career first. People say Liverpool deserve more from me but I have scored 50 goals in less than 100 games and now I could double the money they paid for me.

“I just ask that they respect the objectives I have in my career. I don’t want things to end badly. I just want us to come to an amicable agreement according to what was agreed.”

Suárez was initially linked this summer with a move to Real Madrid but he denied a move to another English club would simply be a stepping stone to a move to Spain in the near future. He said: “Right now the Premier League is the biggest and most important. My record shows that I am not the kind of player who wants to change clubs every season.

“I have no problem playing in England for many more years. If we are just talking about the level of the football and the way the supporters are then it is an incredible league. Any player in the world at the moment would like to play in the Premier League.”

He has also been criticised for citing his relationship with the British press as a reason for wanting to move and then pushing for a switch to another Premier League club.

“I had just arrived in Uruguay where the press are very good to me because I am one of theirs,” he says. “They asked me about the press in England and what am I going to say? Of course I don’t like the fact that my wife goes to the supermarket and there are photographers. But I realise that the press attention is the same wherever you go.”

Suárez has a foot injury and will miss Wednesday night’s final pre-season friendly against Valerenga.

However, he says most of his team-mates at Liverpool understand his situation: “Some of them had urged me not to go but others understand and especially when I explain to them what was promised last year.”

Steven Gerrard urged the player last week to stay at the club until there in an opportunity to move to Real Madrid or Barcelona and admitted that Liverpool would be taking a step backwards if they allowed him to leave.

Suárez said: “He and the other players have always supported me and I am grateful for that. It is the same with the supporters. I got a great reception at the weekend.

“When you are at a club for as long as you are together you stick up for each other but that does not give the club the right to go back on their commitment.”

Most Arsenal fans I know continue to be bemused by their transfer business so far this window. They're the only club yet to bring in a major new face, and the only one they seem to get linked to (even in the tabloids) is a player people love to hate who will be banned for a significant part of Arsenal's season should he join. Got a feeling Wenger will end up panicking and rushing through a bunch of deals on deadline day like he did a couple of summers ago (Andre Santos etc).

One thing Suarez might be forgetting though - don't Arsenal still have to actually get past the Champions League qualifying round? All the above and they might well not actually be in the CL...

Scott Sinclair looking to leave Man City, but wants a permanent move, not just another loan. He's on £50k a week. Would you take him?

I read WBA are closest to signing him, but on a loan deal. I read it today, can't remember source, although I think it was on that BBC Transfer page thingymajjig and seemed pretty confident it would go through.

I read WBA are closest to signing him, but on a loan deal. I read it today, can't remember source, although I think it was on that BBC Transfer page thingymajjig and seemed pretty confident it would go through.

Yeah the Mirror is saying he doesn't want a loan move.

Suarez strikes me as a man with no honour. However he has high standards when it comes to his club. Never mind that he dragged lfc' s name through the mud over the biting incident last season, a deal's a deal.

Shola could have scored a hatrick in every pre season game and I still wouldn't believe he is ready to play a decent part this season. 13 seasons of shite and still on the pay roll

He has proven many a time he's a good player to bring on in the last 10-15 minutes if we're want to nullify a game, have someone we can pump it up to when where under pressure etc,

but as a player for 90 minutes, starting from scratch with fresh defenders, well he hasn't been that player ever really and yet we start him so often.

It's all good and well buying XI new players and flogging another XI at the behest of a new manager. But what happens when their heed the ball manager enevitably self destructs, punches a player, racially abuses another one and leaves the club?