Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

Benteke scored 23 in 39, including a goal on his debut. But don't let the facts get in the way of an ill-informed rant.

;)

Only five of which came before the turn of the year. Not exactly hitting the ground running.

Facts, dear, facts. ;)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last two years we've spent twice as much on transfers as we've brought in. But don't let the facts get in the way of an ill-informed rant.

So selective tho that statement isn't it? How about you extend that window to when Ashley arrived to today, or even 3 years. He only bought in Jan to get hold of the extra prem cash.

Look I know I can come across as a miserable sod, but supporting your team is one thing, but trying to paint the club in a positive light is just delusional. In my view its a bloody miracle were still in the premiership after this year on year downsizing of the squad. To not buy anyone this window should illustrate our predicament perfectly.

But I guess most others think that we cant do anything , so grin and bear it. I'm more a go to protests sort of person, any bad publicist to Ashley and co is not necessarily bad for the club (in my opinion) he's taking the piss.

Edited by scoobos

And what have the past protests achieved?

well for me, that's no reason to then turn full circle and just put the blinkers on and defend the actions of an idiot.

MT , I do think the quality of the squad has dropped, and you kind of say that in your own post, its not the first XI its the whole squad - its absolutely impossible for any club to go a season without losing a player to medium term injury. I still don't think the first XI is as good as the one that Ashley inherited either, but its a matter of subjective opinion .

But nuff said, season starts soon so its time for my happy face again. Come on Pards ! fight the good fight , don't let the bastards grind you down etc. The alternative is unthinkable.

Edited by scoobos

Ok, well it came across that way to me, it seems no matter what we do there's a few posters on here who respond to any slur on his behaviour quite strongly. People defend Wonga, and the same say that Sports Direct branding and advertising wasn't just a clever way to shift taxable profits from one of his companies to another (he never pitched St James to anyone I don't reckon) , the same say that we've spent as much as we've brought in.

I'm not saying all those points are wrong, cos they are all arguable either way, but to back ALL of them is just as pro as I am negative.

Blaming pardew upsets me, its not his fault no one could do anything with the hand he was dealt last year, January signings count for shit, it takes months to integrate / gel. I could go on, but I've done it enough this season break .... I should say I'm not a massive Pardew fan btw, but to say he had a good squad isn't the year I saw, he was absolutely on his bare arse for most of it. Colo flouncing didn't help either.

On with me happy face from here on in though, I'm just pleased the seasons starting again and who knows, we may well have another logic defying year of unprecedented success, and if we don't I'll still back the toon no matter what.

Edited by scoobos

Ok, well it came across that way to me, it seems no matter what we do there's a few posters on here who respond to any slur on his behaviour quite strongly. People defend Wonga, and the same say that Sports Direct branding and advertising wasn't just a clever way to shift taxable profits from one of his companies to another (he never pitched St James to anyone I don't reckon) , the same say that we've spent as much as we've brought in.

I'm not saying all those points are wrong, cos they are all arguable either way, but to back ALL of them is just as pro as I am negative.

Who are you referring to? Name and shame.

Also, how exactly is Vossen a "dream"? Did you even know he existed before today? He's not Messi, or even Benteke. I still fully expect us to land another strike, he's not exactly a household name in Europe, so why the defeatist attitude?

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Downing to West Ham - trying to provide Carroll with some service?

I've never really rated Downing too much, yet every time I see him play against us he seems to play well. Hopefully Big Sam get the worst out of him.

I think we'll sell cabaye if psg come in for him. I don't think pardew will want him mooching around depressed for another season. I'd have serious concerns though about replacing his creativity and goals given we're reaching the end of the window and pisshead joe's in charge.

Who are you referring to? Name and shame.

Also, how exactly is Vossen a "dream"? Did you even know he existed before today? He's not Messi, or even Benteke. I still fully expect us to land another strike, he's not exactly a household name in Europe, so why the defeatist attitude?

First off, why do you fully expect us to get another striker, what part of the last 4 years makes you think we will buy anything other than the skeleton requirements, or if we do buy another striker it'll be a kid for less than 2 mil I reckon. This is what I was whining about, its just so hopelessly optimistic given the evidence of the past 5 years.

If we were going to buy, why didn't we get Cornelius? He's arguably a better prospect.

I know of him because fellaini was singing his praises and I thought Everton went for him but he knocked them back. He plays for his local team doesn't he, been there years and years. He also is a regular on the bench for Belgium but I think he's scored a small number for them already in a few appearances.

(I also worked with a Belgian fellaini fan, so that's where I've really got it from)

Ill bet you a fiver (to bobby foundation), we haven't a hope in hell. If he's snubbed Everton , he's got no baggage like most of our signings and his wage demands to leave his own supported club will be too much for him to *cough* get over the line.

That said, I will cream my nickers if we get him.

Last edit, I just texted my mate and he reckons he's refused the following clubs so far in the past 4 years, West Ham, Everton, arsenal, Aston villa and you wouldn't believe it Sunderland....... now Marco is known to exaggerate so I guess 60% of that is accurate :) a quick Google shows this.

http://www.caughtoff...-villa-hitlist/

http://www.sportsmol...hase_49412.html

http://avillafan.com...ink-for-vossen/

So 60% accurate as suspected !

Edited by scoobos

I think we'll sell cabaye if psg come in for him. I don't think pardew will want him mooching around depressed for another season. I'd have serious concerns though about replacing his creativity and goals given we're reaching the end of the window and pisshead joe's in charge.

I wouldn't complain, its been far too long now since he looked like anything near good enough. We need to buy in first though, but I suppose you could say we are strongest in midfield anyway. I just don't think that marveaux is good enough either.

Okay, so this is where you begin to lose credibility. Most of what you said is simply untrue. CT aside, there is no one on here who defends Ashley to the hilt. Take a look at a couple of opinion polls that were carried out on here:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/31945-mike-ashley-approval-rating/

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/29824-ashley-in-a-click/

Also, bear in mind that these polls were created when we were sitting in 4th and 6th (just one point off 4th) respectively. I think it's clear that there's no great love for him.

You also make the point that the Sports Direct naming of SJP was a tax dodge, could you please elaborate and explain how that deal in any way had a tangible effect on Ashley's tax bill? I just can't see it.

I think you'll find that many on here share your pessimism regarding our prospects under Ashley, it's just that most of us have been around long enough that it's getting harder and harder for us to be surprised by what goes on at the club. I made that point yesterday that your claim that we had brought in more in transfer revenue than we had bought in the last two years was untrue because it was untrue, it was factually incorrect. Just as your above claim that the SD branding is a ploy to reduce Ashley's tax bill, again it is untrue. There are more than enough sticks with which to beat Ashley, there's no need to be making things up.