Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

You don't need to spend yourself into oblivion. Arsene Wenger's done OK on a limited budget. But for all that to happen you need a technical coach that will stay loyal to your club. Roberto Martinez would have been a good target, our club has a larger budget to work with than Everton. Even Glenn Hoddle. A manager who works to a certain football philosophy and certain system. But these things are far beyond the thinking of the club's hierarchy. Newcastle United - Back to the Future.

Wenger spent a fortune on Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud last season. Hardly a limited budget

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wenger spent a fortune on Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud last season. Hardly a limited budget

That was all paid for by the sales of Song and Van Persie though.

To be fair like, one of the options I gave was the one Spurs have taken. It still doesn't make them competitive though, which is the point I was making. If you're being pragmatic about it and you think well we can spend all this money and we might keep the fans happy but ultimately we'll still fall short, why bother?

Accepted. But Tooj has made my point. A technical coach who has a certain philosophy and certain system with an eye for talent who develops players.

Think we need to disassociate the transfer dealings from the running of the club.

The transfer dealings have been widely praised for their shrewdness.

It's the other areas that sap any momentum whatsoever that can be built up.

Keegan was poddling along comfortably in mid-table, we had improving team spirit and were fighting for each other. Getting a draw at Man U wasn't a bad start....but Ashley had decided...Fucking Dennis Wise was his man.

Hughton was poddling along comfortably in mid-table, we had excellent team spirit and were fighting for each other. Best exemplified by the Arsenal 4-4 that stayed his execution....but Ashley had decided...Fucking Pardew was his man.

Pardew was poddling along semi-comfortably in mid-table, team spirit was on the edge, but there had been a great improvement since the transfer window closed....but Ashley had decided...Fucking Kinnear was his man.

It's a pathetic cycle of mis-mamagement of the personell at the club, not the players we buy.

To be fair like, one of the options I gave was the one Spurs have taken. It still doesn't make them competitive though, which is the point I was making. If you're being pragmatic about it and you think well we can spend all this money and we might keep the fans happy but ultimately we'll still fall short, why bother?

Liverpool were just as dominant as manu in the 70s and 80s though on a much more even playing field. Would you have expected them to go without a title for 23 years? Why didn't we all just give up then? What you're saying is mind numbmingly logical and goes against the very concept of football fandom. Few things in life make real sense, least if all following a football club. It makes no sense but millions continue to do it.

a lot of it is the players we buy and sell though. the squad has been too thin for as long as i can remember. we got lucky the season we finished 5th. the first team loos ok on paper but there's zip in terms of competition for places. our bench last night was appalling. shola is still our second choice striker ffs.

a lot of it is the players we buy and sell though. the squad has been too thin for as long as i can remember. we got lucky the season we finished 5th. the first team loos ok on paper but there's zip in terms of competition for places. our bench last night was appalling. shola is still our second choice striker ffs.

Better team/squad than Hull, Palace, Cardiff, Norwich, WBA, West Ham, Southampton, Sunderland...?

They won't go to Man City exppecting to win, but not many of them will look as poor as we did. The indifference on the field is bred from the very top of the club. If the bloke paying the wages just pisses about bringing in cheap, unprofessional dinosaurs, why would they do any different.

Hughton did an excellent job of spreading pride into his group of players despite the owner. It seems to be beyond Pardew.

i still think if he just showed an ounce of ambition and signed four or five players this summer then we'd have competition for places we don't have now and a genuinely better mood about the place. and among supporters.

look at the teams around us that have shown more ambition. swansea got bony, fucking norwich got van wolfspecker. even fulham beat us to darren bent ffs.

Liverpool were just as dominant as manu in the 70s and 80s though on a much more even playing field. Would you have expected them to go without a title for 23 years? Why didn't we all just give up then? What you're saying is mind numbmingly logical and goes against the very concept of football fandom. Few things in life make real sense, least if all following a football club. It makes no sense but millions continue to do it.

Liverpool did that through an excellent coaching setup and continuity of management though, in a time when most football clubs were unprofessionally run. That was a bridgeable gap. That's far removed from the "financial doping" situation we have going on at the minute.

I mean even more recently (albeit 20 years ago) we got promoted and were immediately competitive at the top of the Premiership. If you transplanted that setup to 2013, all the goodwill and the Keegan magic intact, you couldn't make a dent in the Premiership of 2013. It's completely rigged and it just renders the game pointless for the vast majority of teams. And I think over time more and more fans will walk away from the game completely disillusioned.

i still think if he just showed an ounce of ambition and signed four or five players this summer then we'd have competition for places we don't have now and a genuinely better mood about the place. and among supporters.

look at the teams around us that have shown more ambition. swansea got bony, fucking norwich got van wolfspecker. even fulham beat us to darren bent ffs.

I'm not saying we don't need to sign anyone. Clearly we're lacking.

But what we have is capable of more. Whoever we bring in will come down to the clubs current level, rather than lifting the club to better things. this is the club that thinks Joe Kinnear should be empowered with oversight of the entire operation. It's bound for failure.

Liverpool did that through an excellent coaching setup and continuity of management though, in a time when most football clubs were unprofessionally run. That was a bridgeable gap. That's far removed from the "financial doping" situation we have going on at the minute.

I mean even more recently (albeit 20 years ago) we got promoted and were immediately competitive at the top of the Premiership. If you transplanted that setup to 2013, all the goodwill and the Keegan magic intact, you couldn't make a dent in the Premiership of 2013. It's completely rigged and it just renders the game pointless for the vast majority of teams. And I think over time more and more fans will walk away from the game completely disillusioned.

Nobody outside of ManU, Chelsea and ManC will be able to win the league for the forseable future. You only have to look how quick and how far Arsenal and Liverpool fell behind.

Nobody outside of ManU, Chelsea and ManC will be able to win the league for the forseable future. You only have to look how quick and how far Arsenal and Liverpool fell behind.

And yet again you state the obvious...

Think we need to disassociate the transfer dealings from the running of the club.

The transfer dealings have been widely praised for their shrewdness.

It's the other areas that sap any momentum whatsoever that can be built up.

Keegan was poddling along comfortably in mid-table, we had improving team spirit and were fighting for each other. Getting a draw at Man U wasn't a bad start....but Ashley had decided...Fucking Dennis Wise was his man.

Hughton was poddling along comfortably in mid-table, we had excellent team spirit and were fighting for each other. Best exemplified by the Arsenal 4-4 that stayed his execution....but Ashley had decided...Fucking Pardew was his man.

Pardew was poddling along semi-comfortably in mid-table, team spirit was on the edge, but there had been a great improvement since the transfer window closed....but Ashley had decided...Fucking Kinnear was his man.

It's a pathetic cycle of mis-mamagement of the personell at the club, not the players we buy.

Aye. If we bought 5 top quality players tomorrow I'd still be fearful for the future as Ashely would no doubt find some way of screwing things up. Its hopeless as long as the fat one is here with his penchant for ultimate fuckery.