Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Key players wont stay fit. At some point this season we will have injuries and suspensions.

Cabaye, here and back on form

Coloccini head sorted and playing well

Ben Arfa stays fit

Lots of cover for midfield

Loads less games

Remy adding a new dimension

There's a lot can go right without too much praying to the gods.

Plenty of reasons to be pessimistic too.

An interesting bit of data to think about injuries would be the average expected for a premier league side. We were way out ahead on the injury front last year and no rational decision-maker should plan to be a statistical outlier. In other words, you dont invest in the squad to ensure that in an extreme case of luck around injuries, you are as strong. Not even Man City do that (c.f. Kompany).

If we have bad luck again we will suffer. The question should be if we have average luck, where will we be?

We looked good last 20 mins against Fulham an Remy looked good when he came on. Although we really do need a striker I still worry about cover at the back, I like Taylor an his passion for the shirt is second to none but he really isn't that good. We just rely on cisse an amoebi though, Shola has looked good though an I think if we sign someone early he could be off as he wants to be at a World Cup next year.

RM agreed fee with Arsenal for Ozil, just has to agree personal terms, which would mean breaking the wage structure. Either way, I think their interest in Cabaye is dead.

Man U desperately need class in the centre, AND some one use to Moyes' system. Voila; Fellaini. They could probably do with 2 or 3, I don't think they'll get anyone bar the mop-topped one.
Can't see Liverpool or Chelsea bringing anyone else in, I think they've done their business... maybe one more for Spurs Coentrao?

A lot of mackems on twitter thinking the team they fielded on the weekend is Di Canio trying to show to Short that he needs more players, Mental. He'll be gone before 01/01/2014, mark my words. They just don't look like they have a clue.
Think it's likely WBA will get Lukaku back as he doesn't seem to be in Mourinho's plans. Either he or Ba would turn their faltering start into a midtable finish with impressive performances. But Clarke is right, they need a depth to the squad they just don't have at the moment and it's not his job to find that depth.
Fulham need about 5 less Ballerinas and a couple more bulldozers (rumours they're in for Cattermole?!). Hangelaand has wasted his career (if he'd moved to Arsenal he'd have won something by now.) and it doesn't look like Jol is going to be the man to get consistent performances from Berbatov, Bent and Taraabt. So I see a season of struggle for them

With Everton... I don't rate McCarthy that highly to be honest. I think he looked decent at Wigan because of Martinez's style and the lowered expectations. Compare him to Arteta.

If Cabaye hadn't come on against Fulham, I'd be sure he was leaving, but now I think he's staying. Though I don't think we'll see anyone bar a kid come in. Pardew will say we tried our best, but in truth I think the parameters within which JFK, Carr (and whomever else is involved), have to operate are so narrow as to preclude any genuine business getting done. In short we'll not see movement until January, when we'll get Gomis for nothing, plus a couple others, whose arrival will spur us from 14th to 12th.

For what it's worth, I don't think Striker is the real issue. We have Cisse, Remy, Gouffran, Shola who can all play up front as a partnership or a variety of a lone striker. My worry is midfield and at the back; Colo is class as is Mbiwa, Taylor is gutsy but limited. After those it's what? Williamson? Streete? we have no (ZERO) back up right back.

A perfect window that's a reasonable scenario is a striker, a versatile midfielder, a winger a right back and a centre half. We'll get nowt.

RM agreed fee with Arsenal for Ozil, just has to agree personal terms, which would mean breaking the wage structure. Either way, I think their interest in Cabaye is dead.

Man U desperately need class in the centre, AND some one use to Moyes' system. Voila; Fellaini. They could probably do with 2 or 3, I don't think they'll get anyone bar the mop-topped one.

Can't see Liverpool or Chelsea bringing anyone else in, I think they've done their business... maybe one more for Spurs Coentrao?

A lot of mackems on twitter thinking the team they fielded on the weekend is Di Canio trying to show to Short that he needs more players, Mental. He'll be gone before 01/01/2014, mark my words. They just don't look like they have a clue.

Think it's likely WBA will get Lukaku back as he doesn't seem to be in Mourinho's plans. Either he or Ba would turn their faltering start into a midtable finish with impressive performances. But Clarke is right, they need a depth to the squad they just don't have at the moment and it's not his job to find that depth.

Fulham need about 5 less Ballerinas and a couple more bulldozers (rumours they're in for Cattermole?!). Hangelaand has wasted his career (if he'd moved to Arsenal he'd have won something by now.) and it doesn't look like Jol is going to be the man to get consistent performances from Berbatov, Bent and Taraabt. So I see a season of struggle for them

With Everton... I don't rate McCarthy that highly to be honest. I think he looked decent at Wigan because of Martinez's style and the lowered expectations. Compare him to Arteta.

If Cabaye hadn't come on against Fulham, I'd be sure he was leaving, but now I think he's staying. Though I don't think we'll see anyone bar a kid come in. Pardew will say we tried our best, but in truth I think the parameters within which JFK, Carr (and whomever else is involved), have to operate are so narrow as to preclude any genuine business getting done. In short we'll not see movement until January, when we'll get Gomis for nothing, plus a couple others, whose arrival will spur us from 14th to 12th.

For what it's worth, I don't think Striker is the real issue. We have Cisse, Remy, Gouffran, Shola who can all play up front as a partnership or a variety of a lone striker. My worry is midfield and at the back; Colo is class as is Mbiwa, Taylor is gutsy but limited. After those it's what? Williamson? Streete? we have no (ZERO) back up right back.

A perfect window that's a reasonable scenario is a striker, a versatile midfielder, a winger a right back and a centre half. We'll get nowt.

This

Ozil will be unreal at Arsenal if that happens. Such an outstanding player.

Aye cant believe Real are letting him go, and that Man Utd arent in for him. Will be a real coup for Arsenal though you get the feeling someone might sneak in at the last moment. PSG fans are pretty pissed at Sakho leaving,

Interesting analysis. On the above point, perhaps Santon could cover RB with Haidara coming in at LB?

I don't mind Santon filling in at right back because Debuchy and Simpson were injured, but I don't want my first choice left back moved to the wrong flank when we could have a young fullback in reserve (think Haidara). I perhaps over-stated it, but I think we need a back up right back, not an out of position left back.

I don't mind Santon filling in at right back because Debuchy and Simpson were injured, but I don't want my first choice left back moved to the wrong flank when we could have a young fullback in reserve (think Haidara). I perhaps over-stated it, but I think we need a back up right back, not an out of position left back.

Isn't he really a right back we play out of position at left back?

He was a winger as a kid, but has played nearly all of his senior career at LB. A handful at Left mid. I'm sure he could do a job at right back or right mid. Was it Wigan away last year that we switched to 352, with Santon on the right, who end up scoring?

Wrong, his preferred position is on the right, covered it loads of time on previous threads on here ;)

you could go dig up the Santon thread io explained it in there at the time and why he ended up playing on the left or rwing during inters injury crisis

and fwiw Jonas has never been played on the left side anywhere but newcastle, even at argintina they had him at right back :lol:

Hmmm, I'll take your word for it, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Plenty of reasons to be pessimistic too.

An interesting bit of data to think about injuries would be the average expected for a premier league side. We were way out ahead on the injury front last year and no rational decision-maker should plan to be a statistical outlier. In other words, you dont invest in the squad to ensure that in an extreme case of luck around injuries, you are as strong. Not even Man City do that (c.f. Kompany).

If we have bad luck again we will suffer. The question should be if we have average luck, where will we be?

Not sure average injury lengths are readily available. Got me wondering about total/average first team appearances in a squad, or outside the top 11 players in a squad though. To be continued....

Wrong, his preferred position is on the right, covered it loads of time on previous threads on here ;)

you could go dig up the Santon thread io explained it in there at the time and why he ended up playing on the left or rwing during inters injury crisis

and fwiw Jonas has never been played on the left side anywhere but newcastle, even at argintina they had him at right back :lol:

He did an interview last year iirc about his settling in at newcastle and his preferred position.

Victor Moses has gone to Liverpool on loan.

Shame we never got him when Wigan outbid us.

They actually never outbid us, he wanted 20k a week but we wouldn't pay that for him.