Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure out posts are inconsistent. We buy in the winter as its easier to judge if money is needed to coast along. To be fair, the squad is better than last September. So is everyone else's obviously.

Think that strategy is asking for trouble tbh. The fifth placed finish was built on a good start brought on by signing the likes of Ba and Cabaye early. Granted, Cisse helped a lot in January but that's how clubs shooting for Europe each season operate. I know you're not defending it btw.

I think the first XI is stronger (with Marveaux, Steven Taylor, Anita as your subs to make it 14) but after that, I think we're poor. Players like Simpson and Perch were at least dependable, solid options and we lack those decent hands now. Dan Gosling is ineffectual a central midfielder as we'll ever have.

Is January 13 not a special case because of a possible relegation threatening Ashley's asset? If we're operating on the idea that is being floated around regarding Ashley hoping to coast along and profit along the way?

January windows are fairly productive for us. worth noting Cissé & Debuchy were both summer targets we put off until the January window.

2010: Williamson, Routledge, Simpson

2011: Ben Arfa*, Ireland

2012: Cissé

2013: Debuchy, Mbiwa, Gouffran, Haidara, Sissoko

*made permanent

January windows are fairly productive for us. worth noting Cissé & Debuchy were both summer targets we put off until the January window.

2010: Williamson, Routledge, Simpson

2011: Ben Arfa*, Ireland

2012: Cissé

2013: Debuchy, Mbiwa, Gouffran, Haidara, Sissoko

*made permanent

The special case was in the money we spent. Had we been relatively safe, I'd have argued it was only Debuchy that would have came in. Maybe Sissoko's contract situation would have seen him come in too. Obviously, we don't know anything, mind.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

The special case was in the money we spent. Had we been relatively safe, I'd have argued it was only Debuchy that would have came in. Maybe Sissoko's contract situation would have seen him come in too. Obviously, we don't know anything, mind.

Agreed.

Sissoko was all set for a pre-contract, but we moved it forward. I vaguely remember his club having a moan about it.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/190169.html

Can someone please collate quotes from the club/Pardew/Kinnear regarding our transfer intentions and dealings in the summer and arm a credible journalist with them.

I'd guess that any credible journalists are already close to the final draft of their Kinnear assassination.

If we're deemed to be worthy of the bother.

Since no new striker has been brought in we're massively reliant on the form and fitness of the rapist. Shola is a sub at best and gouffran is a support striker. We can't rely on hba to score wonder goals each week and cisse is also out of form. Myopic transfer policy imo.

We buy in January because the season ticket cancellations are in February.

There may be more than a grain of truth in this

I'd guess that any credible journalists are already close to the final draft of their Kinnear assassination.

They'd be missing the point though. Ultimately its not Kinnear's money and if he'd turned round to Ashley and said "we need four players priced 5-10 million each Mike" it wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference.

All the idiots saying we did our summer spending in January, yes we did, but it was the previous summers' spending not this one ffs.

Not sure if thats actually true. We get what we get, I dont think there are any hard and fast rules as such. We've spent in the previous two January windows, both for completely different reasons.

As predicted, Pardew had been royally stitched up for the second summer running. Our second string is appalling. We're a couple of injuries away from another relegation battle. It's going to be another long, hard season.