Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

Newcastle United managing director Derek Llambias has revealed the Magpies’ impressive set of financial accounts has paved the way for Alan Pardew to bolster his squad this summer.

Work is already well underway to improve both the first-team squad and development pool with United eager to avoid a repeat of last summer.

Back then, only Vurnon Anita of Ajax arrived at St James’ Park in the shape of a senior star but, with Newcastle announcing their best set of financial figures of the Mike Ashley era, Llambias told the Chronicle: “We have two things going on.

“We will always be looking at the first team and the development team.

“They go hand in hand.

“We are focusing on our squad depth, we need more of that.”

United were due to sign both Yoan Gouffran and Moussa Sissoko in June, but the deals were brought forward to January due to the Magpies being sucked into relegation trouble.

Llambias added: “Quite honestly, what we did in January was spend £10m more than we needed to. Did we need to? Yes.

“Gouffran and Sissoko were the two players we brought forward.”

Newcastle have already had stars like Hatem Ben Arfa, linked with Liverpool, and Yohan Cabaye, linked with Arsenal and Tottenham, talked about as potential departures this summer.

Llambias, though, pointed to last summer’s business plan when stars such as Cheick Tiote, Cabaye and Fabricio Coloccini were retained.

He insisted a price of £25million will be slapped on Toon players this summer.

With Steve Harper’s contract up and the goalkeeper already going public by declaring his future lies elsewhere, others like Danny Simpson, Dan Gosling and Mike Williamson could also be moved on.

Yet speaking on the prospect of sales, Llambias said: “We are going to be difficult sellers.

“I think we will have that reputation.

“There will be certain players who need to move on with the end of contracts coming up.

“Certain players will have reached the end of their contracts and some have short-term contracts which are either not negotiable or negotiable.

“It is a work in progress. Every window is a work in progress. Our plan is to hold on to what we need to hold on to.”

The United MD also insisted tthe same oversights as last year won’t be repeated.

He added: “We excelled last year with the squad we had.

“We could have finished in a Champions League spot last season.

“This year the lesson has been learned that we did not have enough depth.

“We are working on that.

“It is a question of going forward year on year.

“It is a question of what we put on the field.

“If you look at our international players, we only had nine players left over the international break at our training ground.

“The value for us is we have a good squad of mainly international player.

“We are buying good, good players.”

United will focus hard on their development pool but Willie Donachie’s and Peter Beardsley’s young guns will not be considered for the NextGen Series.

The NextGen Series is an under- 19 tournament for European sides into which big guns like Inter Milan, Paris Saint Germain and Barcelona enter their development teams.

Llambias added: “No, that is not for us yet.

“I don’t think we are ready for that yet.

“We do not have enough depth for that competition.”

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we'll see a striker brought in and a centre half to replace Coloccini. We could really do with some solid hands up and down the side but if Europe is no issue next year, then I suppose it can wait. I expect the young lads to round off the squad, hopefully with better results than this year.

Think we'll see a striker brought in and a centre half to replace Coloccini. We could really do with some solid hands up and down the side but if Europe is no issue next year, then I suppose it can wait. I expect the young lads to round off the squad, hopefully with better results than this year.

I'd like us to get in that Next Gen series, so a few new young faces would be appreciated.

I imagine they need to get the academy status up first so we can have first pickings of the local lads. Imagine the poor little fuckers marooned at the mackems.

think_of_the_children.jpg

Let's hope they dont repeat the same mistakes as last season. Definitely a new forward and I would like two centre backs brought in, one to replace Colo and the other to replace Williamson.

In place of Tiote, Cabaye and Sissoko? Righto

Cabate Sissoko

HBA Marveaux Goufron

Cisse

Would work great against a lot of the teams outside of the top 8. We dont need Tiote the destroyer against teams who simply park the bus.

However as we seem to be going strongly for this striker in the summer maybe we are heading back to a 442.

So Andy Carroll for Ben Arfa is being whispered behind closed doors according to the mirror and others.

Would you take it?

I think I would given where we are now.

If we want Carroll back , buy him.

We can't keep waiting for Ben Arfa to come back into the frame, for him to only play 15-20 games a season. I wish we could keep him and buy a striker (but not Carroll), but my head says they're losing patience.