Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are everything we could and should have been, cant help but be envious.

Apart from the fact that they're now selling their best player for a world record transfer fee.

Do you think they'd be spending like they are if they weren't going to get £80m+ in the bank off of Real Madrid over the next couple of years?

Your post doesn't make sense (they are everything we could/should have been... if we had a different owner [Lewis is considerably more wealthy than Ashley for the record]?) and looks like you're just using any angle you can to have a go at them.

Apart from the fact that they're now selling their best player for a world record transfer fee.

Do you think they'd be spending like they are if they weren't going to get £80m+ in the bank off of Real Madrid over the next couple of years?

Your post doesn't make sense (they are everything we could/should have been... if we had a different owner [Lewis is considerably more wealthy than Ashley for the record]?) and looks like you're just using any angle you can to have a go at them.

No you just dont get it. They're using the Bale fee to improve several positions. They planned for it, did their homework, identified their targets and have already gotten most of them. Bale was never going to stay, they've used the situation to their benefit and imo will be better off as a whole after this. This is so much more than their owner being richer than ours.

Yes obviously 'if we had a different owner' Im glad you got that :lol: that was the whole point they are now miles ahead of us mainly because of how the two clubs have been managed.

No you just dont get it. They're using the Bale fee to improve several positions. They planned for it, did their homework, identified their targets and have already gotten most of them. Bale was never going to stay, they've used the situation to their benefit and imo will be better off as a whole after this. This is so much more than their owner being richer than ours.

Yes obviously 'if we had a different owner' Im glad you got that :lol: that was the whole point they are now miles ahead of us mainly because of how the two clubs have been managed.

So what's comparable about that situation to anything going on with ours?

Your point is pretty pointless then, it's like saying "if we had better players, we should be a better team"..

Hold on, we finished above them 15 months ago.

They continually sell their best players but still can't compete with the mega rich clubs.

Eh? Yes, they're selling their best player and are making up for it by signing not one but several great players. Whereas we'll probably sell our best player and not replace him at all, as with Ba. Strange post that, MT.

We tried (and failed) to replace Ba with Remy in January. In the end the club decided that Gouffran would have to suffice, and (somewhat rightly) decided that it was the defence that simply had to be improved, along with some extra dynamism on midfield via Sissoko.

Cabaye hasn't left yet and whilst I'm no apologist of the regime I'll hold off attacking them based on an assumption that proceeds from his sale won't be reinvested adequately. Bale has been off for a long, long, long time and Spurs have known that hence the spending.

Don't get me wrong aimaad is right to be envious, it's just that "could and should" thing I'm not sure about, since we're not in particularly comparable situations.

We tried (and failed) to replace Ba with Remy in January. In the end the club decided that Gouffran would have to suffice, and (somewhat rightly) decided that it was the defence that simply had to be improved, along with some extra dynamism on midfield via Sissoko.

Cabaye hasn't left yet and whilst I'm no apologist of the regime I'll hold off attacking them based on an assumption that proceeds from his sale won't be reinvested adequately. Bale has been off for a long, long, long time and Spurs have known that hence the spending.

Don't get me wrong aimaad is right to be envious, it's just that "could and should" thing I'm not sure about, since we're not in particularly comparable situations.

We were left with Cisse only, had he got injured we would have been in the championship right now, so I dont know how wise that decision was.

Anyway it seems Spurs have tried to make the most of whatever resources are available to them whereas we just seem to want to get by. Which is why they are in a much stronger position now.

The Tottenham management has dealt with the loss of Bale exemplary, yes they've had the time to get it right but nevertheless they've had a fantastic transfer window. It's a striking contrast compared to Ashley & co and I think that's what we're really discussing here.

Hold on, we finished above them 15 months ago.

They continually sell their best players but still can't compete with the mega rich clubs.

Spurs finished 4th, we finished 5th. How that equates to finishing above them I'll let you explain :lol: We did finish above Chelsea and Liverppol though.

When Bale goes Spurs will remain a stronger team than they were last year. Instead of having one megastar, they now have 5 or 6 superstars. They've strengthened in areas they were weak and while I personally don't think they've resolved the most obvious weaknesses in their squad, they're certainly more likely to challenge for 3rd with this team than with Bale.

Vlad Chiriches - Centre Back - Steaua Bukarest - £8.624.000
Érik Lamela - Right Wing - AS Roma - £26.400.000
Étienne Capoue - Defensive Midfield - FC Toulouse - £9.680.000 £
Roberto Soldado - Centre Forward - Valencia CF - £26.400.000
Nacer Chadli - Left Wing - FC Twente Enschede - £7.172.000
Paulinho Central - Midfield - Sport Club Corinthians Paulista - £17.358.000

£95,364,000

They've made £23.5m in sales already and will probably end up making £25m profit on the window because of Bale's departure.

Fuck You Mike Ashley

When Bale goes Spurs will remain a stronger team than they were last year. Instead of having one megastar, they now have 5 or 6 superstars. They've strengthened in areas they were weak and while I personally don't think they've resolved the most obvious weaknesses in their squad, they're certainly more likely to challenge for 3rd with this team than with Bale.

£95,364,000

They've made £23.5m in sales already and will probably end up making £25m profit on the window because of Bale's departure.

Fuck You Mike Ashley

I think they'll miss Bale a lot more. From my limited memory he got them a shit load of extra points with individual wonder goals etc. sometimes no amount of extra bodies can make up for that.

They would have to pull something ver special out of the bag to get me up for this season. Currently at my lowest ebb for a while with NUFC.

Graham Carr doesn't seem as good as we were lead to believe.

The Frenchies are fairly average.

Shola's still getting a game.

Pardew seems no better at moulding these players.

Ashley seems more disinterested than ever and looks like he's now playing out the end game.

Which probably means another shit owner with big ideas but no money.

Shane's on loan.

£95,364,000

Fuck You Mike Ashley

Looking forward to seeing Lamela play. Comes with some reputation. Wunderkint.

we should be sniffing around victor moses. he's not looking like getting any games this season for chelsea. he'd be an ideal signing. but we won't, of course.

Was thinking the same the other day.

They would have to pull something ver special out of the bag to get me up for this season. Currently at my lowest ebb for a while with NUFC.

Graham Carr doesn't seem as good as we were lead to believe.

The Frenchies are fairly average.

Shola's still getting a game.

Pardew seems no better at moulding these players.

Ashley seems more disinterested than ever and looks like he's now playing out the end game.

Which probably means another shit owner with big ideas but no money.

Shane's on loan.

Rugby next?

I particularly like the Carr line :D. The fact that you thought 2 or 3 signings meant we had a magic formula in the transfer market that would yield world class players on a shoestring doesn't mean anyone else did.

Poor Leazes was hounded from the board for highlighting the stupidity of putting faith in the current regime.

I think they'll miss Bale a lot more. From my limited memory he got them a shit load of extra points with individual wonder goals etc. sometimes no amount of extra bodies can make up for that.

A mate of mine said similar, but I don't think that's the full picture.

Ok, so Bale's latestrike got 3pts at home to a ten man Sunderland. However, that was the following Spurs team

• 25 Lloris
  • 05 Vertonghen
  • 20 Dawson
  • 28 Walker
  • 32 Assou-Ekotto (Sigurdsson - 83' )
  • 02 Dempsey (Defoe - 73' )
  • 06 Huddlestone
  • 07 Lennon
  • 08 Parker (Dembele - 64' )
  • 11 Bale Booked
  • 10 Adebayor

Substitutes

• 24 Friedel
  • 16 Naughton
  • 33 Caulker
  • 22 Sigurdsson
  • 23 Holtby
  • 18 Defoe
  • 19 Dembele

That squad has been significantly improved, gone are the ageing Parker, the limited Huddlestone and temperamental Adebayor. Instead they have Capoue, Paulinho and Soldado. Bale may have earned the 2012/13 Spurs team a large proportion of their points, but the 2013/14 will be able to spread that responsibility over the shoulders of several players instead of just one.

The line-up (without a few of the newer signings) against Swansea was:

• 25 Lloris
  • 02 Walker
  • 03 Rose
  • 05 Vertonghen
  • 20 Dawson
  • 08 Paulinho
  • 15 Capoue
  • 17 Townsend (Sandro - 88' )
  • 19 Dembele (Sigurdsson - 64' )
  • 21 Chadli
  • 09 Soldado Booked (Defoe - 81' )
Substitutes
  • 24 Friedel
  • 04 Kaboul
  • 16 Naughton
  • 22 Sigurdsson
  • 28 Carroll
  • 30 Sandro
  • 18 Defoe

Make no mistake this Spurs team is much stronger despite the loss of Gareth Bale. It's like swapping Park Lane for the final Green so you can put houses and hotels on there.

Edited by The Fish