Christmas Tree

Summer Transfers 2013

Cabaye is going nowhere. Arsenal

Just dropped £45mil on a player in the same position.

Papers saying nothing doing for nufc today. Training ground deserted. One loan signing who we haven't even got an option on. £60mil of TV money and we are near enough the only club not to spend any of it. We were 1 game away from relegation ffs

You expect Giroud to play like he did last year too?

Cabaye is going nowhere. Arsenal

Just dropped £45mil on a player in the same position.

Papers saying nothing doing for nufc today. Training ground deserted. One loan signing who we haven't even got an option on. £60mil of TV money and we are near enough the only club not to spend any of it. We were 1 game away from relegation ffs

No need to fret...WKL says we're ace :lol:

4) Newcastle may yet thrive without signings

So far Loïc Rémy, borrowed on loan from QPR, is Alan Pardew's sole recruit. Joe Kinnear clearly isn't quite the director of football he thinks he is but even so, providing Yohan Cabaye stays or is adequately replaced (admittedly a big caveat), Newcastle look strong enough to confound the doubters. During last season's relegation travails they were missing the injured Hatem Ben Arfa – now fit, and the matchwinner against Fulham – and the personally troubled Fabricio Coloccini, who is back playing well at centre-half and captaining the side. Moreover, Pardew's five recruits from France last January are now bedding in properly, with Moussa Sissoko looking a particularly good buy. They still possess the excellent Tim Krul in goal and Davide Santon at left-back. And Rémy's outstanding pace and attacking movement promise great things. All is far from lost for Newcastle – and Pardew. Who is to say that, contrary to received wisdom, he will not outlast Kinnear at St James' Park? Do not bet against it. Louise Taylor

bingo-banana-splits.jpg

How does she rate Sunderland's chances of not imploding?

:lol: Dear Drooper....

She says the same as most other folk...criticising players in public is on page one of "things not to do as a football manager".

I agree with Louise, hence the point about Giroud. Written off by many last season he was nearly unplayable against Spurs yesterday. Wenger smiled afterwards saying 'new country, new league, takes time to settle'. I think Sissoko definitely looked like a better player (was harshly blown for a couple of fouls that would have been superb turnarounds), Ben Arfa will deliver if fit, Cisse will score again.

There are some reasons to be postive. @@Renton I wonder if you are still as certain about our fate this season? There are reasons to believe that we can get into the top 10.

For all the talk of Norwich and Southampton spending 60m between them, not sure either of them are better than us (or am not sure yet anyway :lol: ). Not sure Everton are either, especially if they lose one or two today. Fulham? Nope. West Brom? Not so far? Hull? No, despite their performance. Cardiff? Not sure but probably not. Crystal Palace? Sunderland were wank. Ditto.

Swansea? They looked good against a v poor West Brom yesterday and despite Laudrup's comments on MOTD2 last season about us, his sides have for falling away due to Europa League.

West Ham? Lucky to get us when they did if you ask me and look to be needing some time to find form themselves.

Villa? Think they will do a lot better this season to be fair.

So top 10 doesnt look that impossible and who knows with a bit of luck and a following wind, we might be the new Everton.....

Ozil will be unreal at Arsenal if that happens. Such an outstanding player.

9.35am BST 'Ozil has chosen to stay at Real Madrid'

So says Spanish newspaper Marca, who tend to be on the ball when it comes to life at the Bernabeu. Here's the link to their story (in Spanish), but the gist is that Real's Florentino Perez had agreed a €45m fee with Arsenal, only for Ozil to opt against the move. Unless there is "a sudden change at the last minute" he'll be staying in Spain.

Wonder what Arsenal will do now? :unsure:

Must say although Im going through a trough Newcastle wise, there is still a lot that could go right this season, particularly if key players say fit, recoup form and Pardew let's them attack more.

No Europe, more time training, international coaches to impress, new jan recruits settling in etc etc

But this is Newcastle so any outcome is possible.

Personally a lot more excited to watch the next game having seen the last 20 minutes v Fulham.

But Key players wont stay fit. At some point this season we will have injuries and suspensions.

But Key players wont stay fit. At some point this season we will have injuries and suspensions.

Cabaye, here and back on form

Coloccini head sorted and playing well

Ben Arfa stays fit

Lots of cover for midfield

Loads less games

Remy adding a new dimension

There's a lot can go right without too much praying to the gods.

Plenty of reasons to be pessimistic too.

An interesting bit of data to think about injuries would be the average expected for a premier league side. We were way out ahead on the injury front last year and no rational decision-maker should plan to be a statistical outlier. In other words, you dont invest in the squad to ensure that in an extreme case of luck around injuries, you are as strong. Not even Man City do that (c.f. Kompany).

If we have bad luck again we will suffer. The question should be if we have average luck, where will we be?

We looked good last 20 mins against Fulham an Remy looked good when he came on. Although we really do need a striker I still worry about cover at the back, I like Taylor an his passion for the shirt is second to none but he really isn't that good. We just rely on cisse an amoebi though, Shola has looked good though an I think if we sign someone early he could be off as he wants to be at a World Cup next year.

RM agreed fee with Arsenal for Ozil, just has to agree personal terms, which would mean breaking the wage structure. Either way, I think their interest in Cabaye is dead.

Man U desperately need class in the centre, AND some one use to Moyes' system. Voila; Fellaini. They could probably do with 2 or 3, I don't think they'll get anyone bar the mop-topped one.
Can't see Liverpool or Chelsea bringing anyone else in, I think they've done their business... maybe one more for Spurs Coentrao?

A lot of mackems on twitter thinking the team they fielded on the weekend is Di Canio trying to show to Short that he needs more players, Mental. He'll be gone before 01/01/2014, mark my words. They just don't look like they have a clue.
Think it's likely WBA will get Lukaku back as he doesn't seem to be in Mourinho's plans. Either he or Ba would turn their faltering start into a midtable finish with impressive performances. But Clarke is right, they need a depth to the squad they just don't have at the moment and it's not his job to find that depth.
Fulham need about 5 less Ballerinas and a couple more bulldozers (rumours they're in for Cattermole?!). Hangelaand has wasted his career (if he'd moved to Arsenal he'd have won something by now.) and it doesn't look like Jol is going to be the man to get consistent performances from Berbatov, Bent and Taraabt. So I see a season of struggle for them

With Everton... I don't rate McCarthy that highly to be honest. I think he looked decent at Wigan because of Martinez's style and the lowered expectations. Compare him to Arteta.

If Cabaye hadn't come on against Fulham, I'd be sure he was leaving, but now I think he's staying. Though I don't think we'll see anyone bar a kid come in. Pardew will say we tried our best, but in truth I think the parameters within which JFK, Carr (and whomever else is involved), have to operate are so narrow as to preclude any genuine business getting done. In short we'll not see movement until January, when we'll get Gomis for nothing, plus a couple others, whose arrival will spur us from 14th to 12th.

For what it's worth, I don't think Striker is the real issue. We have Cisse, Remy, Gouffran, Shola who can all play up front as a partnership or a variety of a lone striker. My worry is midfield and at the back; Colo is class as is Mbiwa, Taylor is gutsy but limited. After those it's what? Williamson? Streete? we have no (ZERO) back up right back.

A perfect window that's a reasonable scenario is a striker, a versatile midfielder, a winger a right back and a centre half. We'll get nowt.

RM agreed fee with Arsenal for Ozil, just has to agree personal terms, which would mean breaking the wage structure. Either way, I think their interest in Cabaye is dead.

Man U desperately need class in the centre, AND some one use to Moyes' system. Voila; Fellaini. They could probably do with 2 or 3, I don't think they'll get anyone bar the mop-topped one.

Can't see Liverpool or Chelsea bringing anyone else in, I think they've done their business... maybe one more for Spurs Coentrao?

A lot of mackems on twitter thinking the team they fielded on the weekend is Di Canio trying to show to Short that he needs more players, Mental. He'll be gone before 01/01/2014, mark my words. They just don't look like they have a clue.

Think it's likely WBA will get Lukaku back as he doesn't seem to be in Mourinho's plans. Either he or Ba would turn their faltering start into a midtable finish with impressive performances. But Clarke is right, they need a depth to the squad they just don't have at the moment and it's not his job to find that depth.

Fulham need about 5 less Ballerinas and a couple more bulldozers (rumours they're in for Cattermole?!). Hangelaand has wasted his career (if he'd moved to Arsenal he'd have won something by now.) and it doesn't look like Jol is going to be the man to get consistent performances from Berbatov, Bent and Taraabt. So I see a season of struggle for them

With Everton... I don't rate McCarthy that highly to be honest. I think he looked decent at Wigan because of Martinez's style and the lowered expectations. Compare him to Arteta.

If Cabaye hadn't come on against Fulham, I'd be sure he was leaving, but now I think he's staying. Though I don't think we'll see anyone bar a kid come in. Pardew will say we tried our best, but in truth I think the parameters within which JFK, Carr (and whomever else is involved), have to operate are so narrow as to preclude any genuine business getting done. In short we'll not see movement until January, when we'll get Gomis for nothing, plus a couple others, whose arrival will spur us from 14th to 12th.

For what it's worth, I don't think Striker is the real issue. We have Cisse, Remy, Gouffran, Shola who can all play up front as a partnership or a variety of a lone striker. My worry is midfield and at the back; Colo is class as is Mbiwa, Taylor is gutsy but limited. After those it's what? Williamson? Streete? we have no (ZERO) back up right back.

A perfect window that's a reasonable scenario is a striker, a versatile midfielder, a winger a right back and a centre half. We'll get nowt.

This

we have no (ZERO) back up right back.

Interesting analysis. On the above point, perhaps Santon could cover RB with Haidara coming in at LB?

Ozil will be unreal at Arsenal if that happens. Such an outstanding player.

Aye cant believe Real are letting him go, and that Man Utd arent in for him. Will be a real coup for Arsenal though you get the feeling someone might sneak in at the last moment. PSG fans are pretty pissed at Sakho leaving,

Interesting analysis. On the above point, perhaps Santon could cover RB with Haidara coming in at LB?

I don't mind Santon filling in at right back because Debuchy and Simpson were injured, but I don't want my first choice left back moved to the wrong flank when we could have a young fullback in reserve (think Haidara). I perhaps over-stated it, but I think we need a back up right back, not an out of position left back.

I don't mind Santon filling in at right back because Debuchy and Simpson were injured, but I don't want my first choice left back moved to the wrong flank when we could have a young fullback in reserve (think Haidara). I perhaps over-stated it, but I think we need a back up right back, not an out of position left back.

Isn't he really a right back we play out of position at left back?

Isn't he really a right back we play out of position at left back?

Nope. It's like Jonas, he's just a right footed left sided player.

He was a winger as a kid, but has played nearly all of his senior career at LB. A handful at Left mid. I'm sure he could do a job at right back or right mid. Was it Wigan away last year that we switched to 352, with Santon on the right, who end up scoring?

WBA trying to sign Sessegnon

Mackems trying to get Borini on loan from Liverpool

Palace had a bid rejected for McManaman, and trying for Bannan(Villa) on loan.