Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do with some more quality out wide too. A couple of pacy wingers with some end product. Someone that's not total gash at set pieces too

squad?...he looks a better player than Gouffran...

He's also playing for a manager that allows him to express himself. I'm loathe to judge any of our new signings at the moment due to how badly our players are being mis-managed tactics wise.

Look at the early impact the likes of Gouffran and Sissoko made compared to now. They look a shadow of the players that arrived.

I think after January's splurge we might need to be a tad more realistic....there again, suppose it depends on if and then who we sell...

I think Ashley and co have realised that it's not possible to rest on your laurels and there is at least one key area that is definitely losing it's best player. When Colo goes we're losing the best centre half the club has seen in my time and an influential captain. We need an authoritative Centre back, those don't come cheap. We also have shown a clear need for a striker, they're not cheap either.

I think Ashley and co have realised that it's not possible to rest on your laurels and there is at least one key area that is definitely losing it's best player. When Colo goes we're losing the best centre half the club has seen in my time and an influential captain. We need an authoritative Centre back, those don't come cheap. We also have shown a clear need for a striker, they're not cheap either.

Yanga-Mbiwa has proven at Montpellier that he is an authoritative centre-back, he just needs time to settle in. We need another footballing centre half if Colo goes IMO.

I've got a bucketload of faith in Yanga. I'd like to see us look at building a squad of almost equals.

So another defender, another left midfielder, a defensive midfielder , and of course a striker (but ideally 2 for competition).

Dream on dreamer.

My prediction is :/ Ben Arfa out for a reasonable fee , no one in.

Yanga-Mbiwa has proven at Montpellier that he is an authoritative centre-back, he just needs time to settle in. We need another footballing centre half if Colo goes IMO.

I see that Mbiwa has the tools to be an imposing centreback, but I suppose I meant that we needed a player that the other defenders look to take their positions from. I don't think he receives that from the others yet. He's maybe too young? Maybe too inexperienced for the likes of Debuchy to take his queue from? Perhaps I should have said "An authority", rather than "authoritative"?

I see that Mbiwa has the tools to be an imposing centreback, but I suppose I meant that we needed a player that the other defenders look to take their positions from. I don't think he receives that from the others yet. He's maybe too young? Maybe too inexperienced for the likes of Debuchy to take his queue from? Perhaps I should have said "An authority", rather than "authoritative"?

He was Montpellier's captain at a ridiculously young age so has that experience already.

He was Montpellier's captain at a ridiculously young age so has that experience already.

I don't think that being named captain means anything really. Dyer has worn the armband for us in the past, as had Jonas and I'm pretty sure Michael Owen has as well.

I don't think that being named captain means anything really. Dyer has worn the armband for us in the past, as had Jonas and I'm pretty sure Michael Owen has as well.

It does when he lead them to their league title and was a leader of men. Ridiculous comparing his captaincy at Montpellier to those that you have mentioned.

Colo was pap when he first played for us, didn't settle in for the first season and a half. I reckon Mbiwa will fine once he's got to grips with the language, got used to the league and is an established player for us. I think we need to concentrate more on a top end striker, a 20 goal a season machine, then some wingers for the service in. If Colo goes we could do with a replacement but with a bit of confidence our defence should get back to some semblance of what it was last season hopefully - mind it's all dependant on someone in the team grabbing the reigns out on the pitch from the player's side of things.

It does when he lead them to their league title and was a leader of men. Ridiculous comparing his captaincy at Montpellier to those that you have mentioned.

So given he lead them to their league title and was a leader of men; why hasn't he shown any of that here? I don't mean why hasn't he lead, but he's still taking his cues from other players, he's yet to impose his will on any of the back line.

Look, I know that you're delighted he's signed for us and you're a massive fan of his, but I don't think he's the finished article and won't be for some time. I also believe that putting the pressure on him to lead this club at the back is too much too soon. I think we need to go and buy a man who is ready to immediately lead the back line. A Hangeland, a dominant centre half who knows the league and can allow Mbiwa to grow into the role without being rushed into it.

So given he lead them to their league title and was a leader of men; why hasn't he shown any of that here? I don't mean why hasn't he lead, but he's still taking his cues from other players, he's yet to impose his will on any of the back line.

Look, I know that you're delighted he's signed for us and you're a massive fan of his, but I don't think he's the finished article and won't be for some time. I also believe that putting the pressure on him to lead this club at the back is too much too soon. I think we need to go and buy a man who is ready to immediately lead the back line. A Hangeland, a dominant centre half who knows the league and can allow Mbiwa to grow into the role without being rushed into it.

Agree with that in theory but it's not our policy is it? Proven premiership players come at a premium. We buy players that have performed well overseas because they're generally cheaper. And that means we have to accept there will be period of adjustment/ settling in/ learning the language etc for most of our signings as long as Ashley is in charge.