Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This appears to be the clubs way of making any signing seem like a bonus. At the start of the window there was an expectation that three or four signings were necessary, then with the inactivity people were reassessing the existing first team and deciding that one or two will be enough, now there's more talk of the younger players coming through and a hope that a striker gets bought. By the end of the window they'll be expecting rejoicing in the terraces when few players get sold.

Another possible explanation is that Ashley gave Pardew money to spend in January and since it did not improve results much overall he wont give him any more until he has shown he can get more out of the current lot. Personally i think we would have gone down without the spend in Jan but results-wise, not sure there was much of a difference.

13 games prior to the new guys debut (villa) = 7 points (on this form it's a 20 point season)

13 games following the new guys debut = 17 points (on this form it's a 49 point season)

How many times do you think he had to practice that?

bunch of names spelt phonetically on the back of a fag packet tbh

I'm not even sure I'm joking :jesuswept:

Ba's goals kept us up last season. With Cisse likely to be the only player with double figures this season, us not signing another striker will see us relegated. I have no doubt about that

Agreed. If we don't get two decent strikers - i.e even if we sign one we'll be flirting with relegation. It's weapons grade stupidity from ''the board''. Even signing a couple of players could looked upon as lack of ambition but the way we are going on is simply carelessness with a callous disregard for the fans.

They want £12 mill for a player in the last year of his contract: :lol:

What's your source? I heard 10 million euros.

If we weren't utterly fucking desperate due to our own stupidity maybe they wouldn't take the piss?

What's your source? I heard 10 million euros.

If we weren't utterly fucking desperate due to our own stupidity maybe they wouldn't take the piss?

Err...thought I read 12 something last week, could be wrong, I'll just get me coat..

Your thinking is very logical, but that sort of money for a player who can go for free next summer is unrealistic to say the least and all clubs in for him will know this.

Edited by PaddockLad

We'll definately buy a forward.

Gomis is in the last year of his contract and has said he's leaving. There's much better value out there. Salomon Kalou being a good example.

If the papers are to be believed, we'll end up loaning Remi and buying Bent. Both would tide us over until January when Gomis value will have dropped.

There's no way Ashley will let the window shut with Shola as second choice forward.

Their chairman has apparently said he's going, we make what appears to be a perfectly good offer for a player in the last year of his contract and they're now taking the piss over the fee. I don't blame us at all for telling them to do one but by acting so slowly we've backed ourselves into a corner which is going to mean that getting any good deals becomes harder and harder.

If we really want to sign anyone (and I'm far from certain we do) we are going to have to accept that we might have to pay more for them than we want.

We'll definately buy a forward.

Gomis is in the last year of his contract and has said he's leaving. There's much better value out there. Salomon Kalou being a good example.

If the papers are to be believed, we'll end up loaning Remi and buying Bent. Both would tide us over until January when Gomis value will have dropped.

There's no way Ashley will let the window shut with Shola as second choice forward.

I'd be happy enough with Remy & Bent - but I'd still be dissapointed with the overall window & complete lack of ambition.

There's plenty of teams that have given this transfer window a good go & signed some great players and obviously - most of them finished above us.

I'm still surprised that people expect anything different. I've been banging this drum for months. Ashley doesn't care for success, I'm not sure what his agenda is, but its not to win anything. I think he sees us as a vehicle for his own brand and a plaything , I seriously think he's following the same model as his superstores.

Expect no one, or someone shit on the cheap at the last minute, or someone with great value, whos cheap - possibly carrying an injury that has seen other clubs lose interest - then sell them as soon as you get a >100% markup. Tell the fans you'll use the cash to replace, then buy someone for no more than 20% of the sale value and call it done. It's his model, he'll take his 200 mil back and hopefully not try and do it all again.

Edited by scoobos

I'm still surprised that people expect anything different. I've been banging this drum for months. Ashley doesn't care for success, I'm not sure what his agenda is, but its not to win anything. I think he sees us as a vehicle for his own brand and a plaything , I seriously think he's following the same model as his superstores.

Expect no one, or someone shit on the cheap at the last minute, or someone with great value, whos cheap - possibly carrying an injury that has seen other clubs lose interest - then sell them as soon as you get a >100% markup. Tell the fans you'll use the cash to replace, then buy someone for no more than 20% of the sale value and call it done. It's his model, he'll take his 200 mil back and hopefully not try and do it all again.

I certainly don't think it's his agenda to have us as a plaything unless he's like the neighbour kid on Toy Story who just likes to torment the toys.

I think he got rinsed somewhat by Hall and his orginal idea of having us a quick moneymaker got fucked when he found out about the debt. Now his only interest is getting his money back out in the quickest way he can which means taking back a sum each year until he can sell it for a reasonable amount and get his money back. On that basis he wants us to stay up but won't finance an attack on the top of league as doesn't represent value for money for him.

Working to that I think we will always be very tight on what we will pay for any player and we will always have a few on their resale value.

*sob* but only 1 of those players is proven good (HBA) - I'd argue Gouffran isn't a winger so I'm not counting him.

Sammy, Obertan, Marveaux, Sammy, Shane are all not good enough yet (if ever)

Jonas is getting old and slow , but I still give credit for his workethic and teamwork.

Obertan, Marveaux, Jonas, Gouffran, HBA, Sammy, Shane

We were never going to be signing anymore wingers this summer

Dogshite, no good on the wing, no longer plays as a winger, a striker, not really a winger but certainly the best player we have there, not a footballer and never going to be a premiership player (not this season at very least).

A winger should be a priority if we want to progress but if I'm honest I never expected it to be this summer and I really don't think Ashley is bothered in the slightest about us progressing for the reasons I've stated above.

I never once saw him play that role last season. He may have been our wide midfielder but all he wanted to do was defend (either that or that was the instruction he was given). He doesn't try to beat his man either to get in to the box or get a cross in like a winger should. Like Scoobos I'll always give him credit for his workrate but he's not doing the job of a winger (it could be argued that he was never particularly great at that role anyway and even if he was playing like he used to in front of Ricky, we should have still been looking to upgrade).