New Strips?

Christmas Tree

28 minutes ago, Noelie said:

Why are they called 'strips'?

It is derivative of the germanic word "stropen" and is used in this context as the uniform to which a sportsman strips down.

32 minutes ago, Noelie said:

Surely you can remember first hand when in 1897 Braithwaite Academicals had their shirts ripped off by the fans of opposing Newbiggin United and the FA at the time adopted the word ‘strip’?

Come on man Noelie

2 hours ago, Noelie said:

In the early days of football 1880s players wore all kinds of "jerseys" goalies wore caps, confusion all over the shop

Popular designs were self-coloured or hooped, (described as "striped")  is probably where "strip" came from.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/History.htm

5 hours ago, Dougle said:

Surely you can remember first hand when in 1897 Braithwaite Academicals had their shirts ripped off by the fans of opposing Newbiggin United and the FA at the time adopted the word ‘strip’?

Come on man Noelie

C'mon Dougle, simple question to see what answers would come up.

Remember being told to strip by a medical doctor but can't remember what war, Boer maybe. :mad:

1897 was a couple of years before my interest in football piqued. :)

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Nice. Can you get adult size minus the sponsor logo?

You couldn't last time out (officially).

Unfortunately even the largest kids one would be too small for even the skiniest of adults (me)

The sponsor, man. :jesuswept:

This years home shirt is actually a very good effort especially by recent times but it's all somewhat wasted by a sponsor who wouldn't look out of place on the front of a lower league side like Hartlepool, Carlisle, Darlington or a Sunderland.

• Haha 2

Looks canny to me, as long as we have stripes on the back.

And just to add... whilst the FUN88 looks shite I'd prefer anything to the previous thing.... christ even Netto would have beat that.

Edited by Dougle

19 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Ummm, have they just changed the collar to this year’s shirt?

Pretty much.... but also reversed the stripes..... still beat some of the absolute carbuncles we've had in recent years.