New Strips?

Christmas Tree

This is exactly what I mean btw. Immediately going at fans, creating this us v them sentiment which they will then be outraged about. It’s an away kit you twat, we had highlighter yellow and orange ones under Ashley. The best part is that, while they’d have done it anyway, we have had a green and white away kit in the past so his point is even worse :lol:

If these people were genuinely worried about sportswashing they wouldn’t throw around these sort of quips and lazy, pathetic trolling statements. If he really wants to discuss why Mike Ashley was disliked he should imagine what it’s like if his clubs new owners earliest moves were to hire not one, but two club legends as managers of the club, mug them off, blame them and force them out the club before taking down any connection they have with the club - that was just the first couple of years :lol: but sure something about changing the colour of away or third kit. 

I’m also fairly sure this bloke is a chelsea fan, a club which very recently had a very Russian themed away kit while owned by a Russian puppet.

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

Does Rob Harris think that all football shirts should be in colours clubs have used previously? They're not allowed the freedom to select a different colour? 

Funny, I thought the rules around change kit colours were simply that it contrasted from the first choice kit. I didn't realise we had a Dulux palette card to choose off 

• Like 2

His bio used to be - 

Journalist UK-based robharris.co.uk Joined February 2009 ... Chelsea. USA. Bundesliga. Premier League stats. Christian Pulisic. La Liga. Jurgen Klopp.

I wonder why he changed it 🧐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

His bio used to be - 

I wonder why he changed it 🧐

Thought he was. He can comment all he likes regarding sportswashing but I just always take note of the journalists that immediately attack fans. For me they clearly don’t have any interest in the sportswashing debate and just want to use it as a tool to attack fans/express their jealousy. 

• Like 1

Portadown massacre 1641

Rathlin Ireland massacre 1642

Glencoe Massacre 1692

Peterloo massacre 1819

siege of DroghedaBachelors walk massacre 1914

North King Street massacre 1916

Croke Park massacre 1920

Bloody Sunday 1972

Miami showband 1975

2nd Iraq war

Invasion of Afghanistan.

anyone who waves a union jack is actively complicit in these and other atrocities. These are just a small portion of the ones committed on British soil.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Howay said:

Could go either way I guess. I don’t think they’d have ever let it go mind, which is why I think it’s more a long term plan to make the changes and take the outrage now rather than 3-5 years time. 

The other side to this, if we want to launch into the whole sportswashing debate, is the journalists fuming over EVERYTHING like this also aids SA’s sportswashing agenda (or whatever the journalists will call it). If they’re going to attack every single thing the club does while the club go about their business in a professional manner that leans into/creates connections with the fans, it quickly creates this us v them mentality which we are already starting to see. I’m not saying avoid talking about it but they have to be reasonable, fair and targeted with their discussion - going after every single thing the club does and then also screaming “you show sportswashing works” at every single Newcastle fan that says they’re not bothered by this, or that it makes sense that this happened, isn’t helping “defend” sportswashing, as I say it’s just pushing people more into it. 

I dunno if reporters reporting on fairly obvious sportswashing is aiding the sportswashing, mind you. 

I think if the reporters left the fans out of it, they'd get a better reaction, but fewer clicks.

If this is Castore's idea, it's a pretty bad one. If they're trying to increase NUFC's footprint in KSA, I'm not sure a strip that is very similar to their own national kit is good strategy. Surely Aramco/Saudia/KSA Bonesaws as a sponsor on the black and white shirt is a better way to get the club recognised over there?

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I dunno if reporters reporting on fairly obvious sportswashing is aiding the sportswashing, mind you. 

I think if the reporters left the fans out of it, they'd get a better reaction, but fewer clicks.

If this is Castore's idea, it's a pretty bad one. If they're trying to increase NUFC's footprint in KSA, I'm not sure a strip that is very similar to their own national kit is good strategy. Surely Aramco/Saudia/KSA Bonesaws as a sponsor on the black and white shirt is a better way to get the club recognised over there?

I would say it’s more so the attacks on the fans through the guise of attacking sportswashing, but I do think them going on about every little thing that happens helps turn many away from their point too, if you wanted to show that somebody did something annoying so your way of doing it was to follow their mates about constantly pointing out any annoying thing the person did, no matter how small, the people you’re trying to convince would get annoyed by you. For me it starts to belittle their own point and makes it noise/discontent rather than really highlighting or proving things.  Remember this shirt hasn’t even officially been released yet, and this is the way they’re going on.

I personally don’t even see this as sportswashing. I think sportswashing moves are more like big money signings, getting good favor from fans (such as moving the Shearer statue, renaming the bar etc), tours abroad. Would this be a move to sell more shirts in SA and perhaps show the SA ‘brand’ off? Yeah but I associate sportswashing more with trying to clean their image through the sport with activities like I mentioned above, which I don’t see how having a similar change kit to their national team kit really does. There’s probably an argument that it is but I just think it’s more them doing something they want to do rather than a sportswashing move, not that it stops the journos who are chomping to call anything and everything sportswashing. 

I can’t help but feel the saying Castore thought to do it is a bit of an out being used, maybe even done knowing it’ll annoy these same journalists. 

Edited by Howay

4 minutes ago, Howay said:

I would say it’s more so the attacks on the fans through the guise of attacking sportswashing, but I do think them going on about every little thing that happens helps turn many away from their point too. Remember this shirt hasn’t even officially been released yet, and this is the way they’re going on.

I personally don’t even see this as sportswashing. I think sportswashing moves are more like big money signings, getting good favor from fans (such as moving the Shearer statue, renaming the bar etc), tours abroad. Would this be a move to sell more shirts in SA and perhaps show the SA ‘brand’ off? Yeah but I associate sportswashing more with trying to clean their image through the sport with activities like I mentioned above, which I don’t see how having a similar change kit to their national team kit really does. There’s probably an argument that it is but I just think it’s more them doing something they want to do rather than a sportswashing move, not that it stops the journos who are chomping to call anything and everything sportswashing. 

I can’t help but feel the saying Castore thought to do it is a bit of an out being used, maybe even done knowing it’ll annoy these same journalists. 

For me it's inexorably linking Newcastle United with KSA. Whenever Newcastle take to the field in that strip, they might as well be taking to the field in the Saudi national strip. When that's normalised, the sportswashing is working. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

It’s been that way for a very long time tbh! Players haven’t played with embroidered badges for ages, it’s uncomfortable. 

More often than not matchworn shirts will have iron on logos.

17F29C3F-0F85-4702-AFB6-9676EA440BCB.jpeg

Two of the most Magnificent men ever.

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

For me it's inexorably linking Newcastle United with KSA. Whenever Newcastle take to the field in that strip, they might as well be taking to the field in the Saudi national strip. When that's normalised, the sportswashing is working. 

Aye that would be the counterpoint. Like I say I see a difference between that and sportswashing, as I see sportswashing as making their image softer and more welcoming rather than just aligning/combining brand with the club - I think doing that wouldn’t particularly change the view of them and arguably is counter to that goal since it could be a more in your face thing that riles people up and conjures up thoughts about SA directly rather than the UAE/Qatar moves where they don’t particularly tie that imagery to the clubs. 

Edited by Howay

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Did anyone really think that the takeover isn’t about polishing Saudi Arabia’s image?

For me it always has been about how we cope with it and how to make the best out of it in not just giving a platform to a state with an horrendous record regarding human rights but how we can use the takeover as a platform to show what our society stands for.

I don’t mind the new shirts at all but think it would be fantastic for us to wear them with a captain’s armband in rainbow colours to promote gay rights.

A women’s team wearing those colours will be fantastic, too.

• Like 3

Still love the fact journos and politicians from countries that have caused immeasurable pain and conflict around the world get to judge the Saudis. 

I'll be getting the shirt and maybe ordering this for good measure:

image.png.e7a44d32cf7081ab03500987c033fb13.png

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

I don’t mind the new shirts at all but think it would be fantastic for us to wear them with a captain’s armband in rainbow colours to promote gay rights.

It’d be even better if our gay players felt comfortable enough to be open whilst playing for us. 

The brain cogs down the road would seize up. :lol:

As much as I want to join the rejection of media sentiment on this, my stomach turned when I saw that strip. Yes we've been bought to sportswash, yes the journos and fans piling in on this don't actually give a fuck about the people they're claiming we all endorse the killing of, but I do. And while I can handle SA owning the club and basking in some reflected glory as an inevitability of the regime, I do not like that strip and what it says about the club.

• Sad 1

My primary issue is the lack of consistency. It's OK to have a pop at Newcastle but not other clubs who have clear links to nations and represent their colours in their kit. As has been said, Chelsea effectively had the Russian flag on the collar of their away shirt at a time where the Russian flag was banned from being used in sport. But no-one said anything about that.  If you're going to berate NUFC for electing to have national colours in one of their shirts, then every culprit needs the same response.

Nike launch 'mod-inspired' 2019-20 Chelsea away kit - We Ain't Got No  History

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Portadown massacre 1641

Rathlin Ireland massacre 1642

Glencoe Massacre 1692

Peterloo massacre 1819

siege of DroghedaBachelors walk massacre 1914

North King Street massacre 1916

Croke Park massacre 1920

Bloody Sunday 1972

Miami showband 1975

2nd Iraq war

Invasion of Afghanistan.

anyone who waves a union jack is actively complicit in these and other atrocities. These are just a small portion of the ones committed on British soil.

image.gif.da67f4bff59df99277410b0072152cc3.gif

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye that would be the counterpoint. Like I say I see a difference between that and sportswashing, as I see sportswashing as making their image softer and more welcoming rather than just aligning/combining brand with the club - I think doing that wouldn’t particularly change the view of them and arguably is counter to that goal since it could be a more in your face thing that riles people up and conjures up thoughts about SA directly rather than the UAE/Qatar moves where they don’t particularly tie that imagery to the clubs. 

After seeing who liked the below tweet I’ve changed my mind, disregard my post above lads. 

C445BF9E-1648-4F30-9DD2-551AC36B552D.jpeg

• Haha 1