Paolo Di Canio Hounded out by the mackems

Tooj

Paolo Di Canio spat in his OWN face in a bizarre rant at his Sunderland players at the end of his managerial reign, writes Alan Nixon in the Sunday People.

The fiery Italian remarkably showed his anger at the team’s display against West Brom with his party trick before a furious verbal assault on his flops.

Di Canio took a drink of water, sprayed it upwards, let it fall on his face and rubbed it in. He did this a few times in front of his shocked men.

Then the Black Cats' under-pressure boss told his team “that is what you have done to me, spat in my face” before telling them to do it to themselves.

Di Canio made an even more rude suggestion about what he would like to have thrown at his team – one we cannot print in a family newspaper.

This prompted a war of words, with some players saying that is exactly what he has been doing to them with his insults.

Di Canio would not back down and then questioned their character and willingness to get hurt in tackles.

One player said they would have shown more spirit for a manager they respected rather one who criticised them in public.

The rage between Di Canio and his disenchanted side went on – and continued the next day at the training ground.

Di Canio ended the ranting session by telling the players they could phone owner Ellis Short if they wanted him sacked.

The Italian gave the team permission to call Short and apparently did not think that would make any difference – as he felt he would be backed.

However, a series of calls were made to the London-based American and that swayed the decision and forced his exit.

Short had told confidantes that Di Canio “would get until the Newcastle game” to turn it around.

He made that decision in the aftermath of West Brom but his time-table changed entirely when he found out the depth of anti-Di Canio feeling.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin `Hardman' Ball

He took the clowns down in 2005/6 yet the Wearside clowns want him to be appointed the new head clown at the sos circus.They have a clueless yank as owner,an ex-solicitor as CEO and a football agent as Director of Football.

Maybe things aren't as bad as we think at SJP

You can't think your house being flooded is grand, just because your neighbours' roof has fallen in.

We're still in the shit

Kevin `Hardman' Ball

He took the clowns down in 2005/6 yet the Wearside clowns want him to be appointed the new head clown at the sos circus.They have a clueless yank as owner,an ex-solicitor as CEO and a football agent as Director of Football.

Maybe things aren't as bad as we think at SJP

And get this, it's a 32 year old WOMAN!

men-laughing-with-mayonnaise-o.gif

Paolo Di Canio has defended his tenure at Sunderland and insists he should have been given more time after a troubled start to the season.

Di Canio was sacked following the 3-0 defeat to West Brom last month amid reports of a player revolt at the training ground the following day.

In an exclusive statement to Sky Sports News issued on Tuesday afternoon, the Italian pointed to his achievement in keeping Sunderland in the Premier League after succeeding Martin O'Neill last season and has denied there was a bust-up with the players.

His statement read: "When I joined the club last season with the aim of saving them from relegation I was happy to be offered the opportunity to manage in the Premier League. I walked into a challenging situation but achieved what I was asked to do, the highlight of which was the fantastic performance and win against Newcastle, which is something I will always remember.

"I love English football and I feel that my time at the club has been unfairly cut short as given the chance, I am certain that had I been allowed longer, I would have been able to develop the team to achieve the success Sunderland fans desire."

"When you bring in 14 new players, many from overseas and very few with Premiership experience it is going to take time for them to adapt to the English game and to gel as a team. As I have said many times, I love English football and I feel that my time at the club has been unfairly cut short as given the chance, I am certain that had I been allowed longer, I would have been able to develop the team to achieve the success Sunderland fans desire.

"There has been a lot written in the media in recent days, much of it wholly untrue. There was no training ground bust-up as some are reporting and many of the players have since sent me messages thanking me for my time as their manager and helping them to improve as footballers.

"We could see that results had not gone as well as any of us had hoped, but I felt as a team we could turn things around.

"I remain confident in my ability and I want to manage again in England as soon as I can. When things like this happen it is important to take something positive from it. I have learnt a lot from my brief time at Sunderland and I am sure that this will only make me a better manager in my next job.

"There was no training ground bust-up as some are reporting and many of the players have since sent me messages thanking me for my time as their manager and helping them to improve as footballers."

"Even though my time at the club ended prematurely, I would like to thank Sunderland for giving me my first opportunity to be a Premier League manager."

Sunderland defender John O'Shea stated over the weekend that several players had made a stand to call for Di Canio to lose his job as manager at the Stadium of Light.

Asked if Sunderland's players felt something needed to be done about Di Canio's regime, O'Shea told the Shields Gazette: "That was obviously done. But we have to move on now.

"Because of the position we're in in the league, we can't keep going back to it.

"We've got some difficult months ahead.

"Whoever comes in, whether it's Bally (Kevin Ball) or a new manager, we've got tough times ahead.

"We have to stick together and if we keep going back to it, it'll soon be too hard to pull back from where we are."

Interim boss Ball is to remain in charge of Sunderland for Saturday's Premier League clash with Manchester United.

O'Shea has given his backing to Ball, saying: "He's been fantastic. Everything is fairly straightforward. You know exactly where you lie with Bally and the players have enjoyed it.

"Hopefully that will continue but we'll wait and see."

So, it looks like it'll be Poyet replacing Di Canio, I wonder if that irks Mike Ashley at all? I got the impression that had Pardew walked Poyet would have been amongst those ex-Spurs players that he likes so much... though I suppose that was before JFK came back on the scene.

Edited by TheMoog

Who says Poyets a racist then?...

He went on about Suarez being the victim over the racism incident slagged of EVra for crying about it and then claimed Britain went over the top in it's hatred of racism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15789703

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/17/gus-poyet-luis-suarez-racism

http://www.eyefootball.com/news/11356/Poyet-backs-Suarez-on-racism-charge.html