Cabaye and Sissoko

Kid Dynamite

The best games I have seen Cabaye play were when he played in the hole for France at last years Euros. This season he is almost playing as a sweeper for us picking the ball up on the edge of our own box practically.

Sissoko made his name as a Viera type midfielder, sitting deeper and bossing the midfield. We are playing him as a second striker despite him obviously not being a natural in that position.

Am I missing something or does it not make sense to switch these 2 to get the best out of them?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best games I have seen Cabaye play were when he played in the hole for France at last years Euros. This season he is almost playing as a sweeper for us picking the ball up on the edge of our own box practically.

Sissoko made his name as a Viera type midfielder, sitting deeper and bossing the midfield. We are playing him as a second striker despite him obviously not being a natural in that position.

Am I missing something or does it not make sense to switch these 2 to get the best out of them?

It paid off having Sissoko up there when he first came here, but now teams have sussed it out. I'm one who has faith in Pardew, but I'm starting to question the formation now and the use of certain players. Last season, our 442 formation worked like a charm when it was used, even when Obertan was out on the right wing. We only switched to a 433 to accommodate Ben Arfa. Why on earth have we not gone back to 442 and tried to bring some stability in? At least that way, Cisse wouldn't be so isolated all the time. Sissoko is no second striker, Cabaye is no sweeper. Tbh Sissoko would probably be an ideal swap for Tiote it the centre, got a head on him and can advance too when necessary. I know we're lacking on the striker side, but Ameobi played a fair bit last season (I remember he flicked on for Ba against Utd) and we also have Campbell. I know he's young, but I just feel we should give him a shot, and get back to the good old "big-un" and "little-un" up front. One who can head and hold a ball up and the other with bags of pace.

Sissoko had 2 good games in that position. Granted he played a good ball last night but he is not a striker. We are desperate for another striker atm. Gouffran appears to be cut from similar cloth to Obertan, Marveaux, Pancrate etc.

As I said weeks ago ;) Sissoko should play with Cabaye with Marv in Sisokos current role.

That would leave Cabaye or Sissoko as great threats going forward and leave Marv as the perfect link between wings and attack.

Pardew will never realise the potential of this team sadly. Maybe that's just his defensive nature and he seems to prefer counter attacking. Fine when it comes off but so often it doesn't.

Keegan 1 would have this lot playing like the Harlem globetrotters never mind the entertainers.

As I said weeks ago ;) Sissoko should play with Cabaye with Marv in Sisokos current role.

That would leave Cabaye or Sissoko as great threats going forward and leave Marv as the perfect link between wings and attack.

Pardew will never realise the potential of this team sadly. Maybe that's just his defensive nature and he seems to prefer counter attacking. Fine when it comes off but so often it doesn't.

Keegan 1 would have this lot playing like the Harlem globetrotters never mind the entertainers.

The Marveaux who is fucking shite you mean? Yeah, good plan

The Marveaux who is fucking shite you mean? Yeah, good plan

The Marveaux who should have had two assists last night to go with his assist in our last European game. Wasn't perfect by any means last night but one of the few players we have who can feed Cisse.

Fucking shite? Clueless.

The Marveaux who should have had two assists last night to go with his assist in our last European game. Wasn't perfect by any means last night but one of the few players we have who can feed Cisse.

Fucking shite? Clueless.

Last night at half time, someone said Marveaux should come off for Anita. What - 5 minutes into the second half, he plays Cisse through 1-on-1 which should have made the score 1-2. He's the only creative player we have available at the moment, and the only one who seems to be able to provide for Cisse at the moment.

Marveaux does have the ability to create chances. But he disappears when he's not on the ball and it piles the pressure on the rest of the team. Tricky player to find a place for to be honest.

He only seems to disappear when we don't pass to him!

He should stand hands in pockets on the half way line and save his energy for when its needed. We should then try and find him with every forward ball.

Btw, I thought Cisses did very well winning and directing headers last night. Feeding him is the key to avoiding the drop.

Can't wait for Sunday.

It paid off having Sissoko up there when he first came here, but now teams have sussed it out. I'm one who has faith in Pardew, but I'm starting to question the formation now and the use of certain players. Last season, our 442 formation worked like a charm when it was used, even when Obertan was out on the right wing. We only switched to a 433 to accommodate Ben Arfa. Why on earth have we not gone back to 442 and tried to bring some stability in? At least that way, Cisse wouldn't be so isolated all the time. Sissoko is no second striker, Cabaye is no sweeper. Tbh Sissoko would probably be an ideal swap for Tiote it the centre, got a head on him and can advance too when necessary. I know we're lacking on the striker side, but Ameobi played a fair bit last season (I remember he flicked on for Ba against Utd) and we also have Campbell. I know he's young, but I just feel we should give him a shot, and get back to the good old "big-un" and "little-un" up front. One who can head and hold a ball up and the other with bags of pace.

You want shooting for that tbh! Also we clearly don't have any wingers who can deliver the ball into the middle so what's the point in playing 4-4-2?

I think the opening post is correct. Swap Sissoko and Cabaye round and get them playing in their favoured position. Pardew seems to think we need Sissoko playing up with Cisse but surely that's the point of the two players (Goufrann & Jonas/Marveaux) in the wide forward positions. A stronger midfield set up would improve us a lot imo.

Sissoko had 2 good games in that position. Granted he played a good ball last night but he is not a striker. We are desperate for another striker atm. Gouffran appears to be cut from similar cloth to Obertan, Marveaux, Pancrate etc.

Harsh on Goufrfan that like. Obertan is one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us for more than a couple of game and Pancrate was a joke tbf. Marveaux also doesn't put in near the graft of Gouffran.

I'd prefer Sissoko behind the strikers, he's more direct & more intelligent plus it's becoming more of a trend to have a more physical playmaker. Deschamps says that's where he wants him for france too. I think Cabaye has been a bit too deep but I think that's a lot to do with missing Tiote, so I think as the team gets back we'll see him slip into a more natural position, a deep lying playmaker.

Harsh on Goufrfan that like. Obertan is one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us for more than a couple of game and Pancrate was a joke tbf. Marveaux also doesn't put in near the graft of Gouffran.

That's a big issue with Marv - he's not good enough to be a luxury player. He had a lot of joy last night but the pickings were easy enough due to their high line, Cisse had the runs and nearly the finishing, quite gutting.

We haven't seen anywhere near that effectiveness in the league and we probably never will.

That's a big issue with Marv - he's not good enough to be a luxury player. He had a lot of joy last night but the pickings were easy enough due to their high line, Cisse had the runs and nearly the finishing, quite gutting.

We haven't seen anywhere near that effectiveness in the league and we probably never will.

Agreed.

442 is dead. It's all about variations of 433 now, like we're playing this season.

I reckon Sissoko is played up top behind Cisse for his pace on the counter, however, I reckon next season we'll see him play in central midfield. He absolutely has the attributes.

Feed cisse? the stupid cunt made a complete blunder to put cisse through in the first half because he was greedy and lost it to a fullback who was on the backfoot

And then set him up twice not to mention setting up the last minute winner against Anzhi to make sure we were still in the competition last night.

Stupid Cunt? Rightio ;)

We all know what Marveaux can do, we just need him to do it more often. Far too much for my liking when the chips are down he doesn't want to take responsibility and make things happen. Contrast this to Ben Arfa at the start of this season, we were playing dreadful yet whenever Ben Arfa was on the pitch he seemed to be the only one who wanted to take responsibility and make things happen. It's not much to ask is it for Marveaux to stand up and be counted when we need him? He's called a luxury because at the moment that's what he is as he doesn't stand up when we need him to do so. That doesn't even have to be creating chances, I'm talking more things like wanting the ball and dictating the tempo of things.

We all know what Marveaux can do, we just need him to do it more often. Far too much for my liking when the chips are down he doesn't want to take responsibility and make things happen. Contrast this to Ben Arfa at the start of this season, we were playing dreadful yet whenever Ben Arfa was on the pitch he seemed to be the only one who wanted to take responsibility and make things happen. It's not much to ask is it for Marveaux to stand up and be counted when we need him? He's called a luxury because at the moment that's what he is as he doesn't stand up when we need him to do so. That doesn't even have to be creating chances, I'm talking more things like wanting the ball and dictating the tempo of things.

Seriously, I dont understand what happened. ;) The first twenty minutes or so the play was directed towards him and we look good going forward. Then it all seemed to get very sloppy and the ball wasnt getting to him.

I imagine they probably saw the threat and reacted but I dont buy that after 20 minutes he simply decided he didnt want it any more.

I also remember last srason when Ben Arfa was in and out of the team (for Obertan) and everyone he was very poor, kept getting dropped because he couldnt defend. Most were calling Pardew worse than shite and saying fuck the tracking back, just give him a decent run in the team.

Well the same could be said for Marveaux. Give the lad a decent run and let him get better within the team.

We are without doubt not blessed with people who can "open the door" which is why for me he should start regardless. He is way out in front as the clubs top assister.

We need goals to stay up so we need people who can create goals.

He only seems to disappear when we don't pass to him!

He should stand hands in pockets on the half way line and save his energy for when its needed. We should then try and find him with every forward ball.

Btw, I thought Cisses did very well winning and directing headers last night. Feeding him is the key to avoiding the drop.

Can't wait for Sunday.

If professional footballers aren't passing it to you then you're doing something wrong. He doesn't move into the right areas often enough and make himself available. Probably cause he's a lazy fuck

And then set him up twice not to mention setting up the last minute winner against Anzhi to make sure we were still in the competition last night.

Stupid Cunt? Rightio ;)

You haven't got a clue man. It was Fergie who would turn us into Brazil 6 months ago according to you. It was Pardew who should be managing England. Do yourself a favour and stick to getting bummed in the politics thread and let the lads who actually enjoy football talk about the game

Seriously, I dont understand what happened. ;) The first twenty minutes or so the play was directed towards him and we look good going forward. Then it all seemed to get very sloppy and the ball wasnt getting to him.

I imagine they probably saw the threat and reacted but I dont buy that after 20 minutes he simply decided he didnt want it any more.

I also remember last srason when Ben Arfa was in and out of the team (for Obertan) and everyone he was very poor, kept getting dropped because he couldnt defend. Most were calling Pardew worse than shite and saying fuck the tracking back, just give him a decent run in the team.

Well the same could be said for Marveaux. Give the lad a decent run and let him get better within the team.

We are without doubt not blessed with people who can "open the door" which is why for me he should start regardless. He is way out in front as the clubs top assister.

We need goals to stay up so we need people who can create goals.

The difference being that Ben Arfa will always be a different level to Marveaux.