Hiddink: Count me out United

Craig

Top Dutch manager Guus Hiddink has made it clear that he is not interested in the St James' Park hot seat.

Hiddink and German Otto Hitzfeld are the two foreign managers whose names keep cropping up among the Newcastle United supporters should Graeme Souness leave his post.

Indeed, many United fans who know all about the European scene insist that Hiddink would be an ideal choice as the next manager at St James' Park.

Hiddink is aware of this - but the man who has taken PSV Eindhoven into the next stage of the Champions League, and Australia to the World Cup finals, has said that he would not be interested in coming to Tyneside because all his ambitions now lie on the international front.

I must stress that there has been no contact from Freddy Shepherd with Hiddink or anyone else for that matter regarding the managerial situation at St James' Park.

And certainly Shepherd must be a trifle bemused at his Bolton Wanderers' counterpart Phil Gartside, who keeps warning him off Reebok boss Sam Allardyce.

Shepherd has not approached Gartside for Allardyce - or any other chairman for their manager for that matter - but Big Sam's name just won't go away in relation to the Newcastle hot seat.

Souness had a bonding lunch with his players in tranquil Jesmond Dene yesterday but he could have been excused if it felt like the last supper.

On Saturday two of our leading national broadsheet papers not only had Souness sacked but said Allardyce would be installed as the new United boss by yesterday.

That has failed to materialise - but today Gartside was still being quoted as saying: "I have already decided that if Freddy Shepherd wanted to talk to Sam about the Newcastle job he would be denied permission."

First of all, Shepherd does not want to talk to Gartside about Allardyce, although I understand that Big Sam has a clause in his contract which does allow him to talk to other clubs in certain circumstances.

Headlines in the national papers screamed "One foot in the grave" and "Two seconds from the sack" regarding Souness after the draw with Middlesbrough.

But since the dust has settled on the "Wigan Reserves" debacle in the Carling Cup, the Chronicle has always insisted that Shepherd had no intention of making a managerial change at this moment in time for several reasons.

One of those reasons is the fact that he would have to pay the Scot alone around £3m to pay his contract up, and also because there was no obvious replacement.

The Chronicle has also always believed that when the time comes for Shepherd to make his next managerial appointment, he will not go back for anyone who turned him down last August - and this includes Allardyce and Birmingham City's Geordie boy Steve Bruce.

Of course, one manager who has not turned United down is Martin O'Neill, and I heard again from Glasgow yesterday that the former Celtic boss hopes to return to football in May, and would be interested in coming to St James' Park.

Nice to see him hanging on the idea that O'Neill will be coming, can't see it myself what with his missus still gravely ill - thought he didn't actually live in Glasgow though? :)

As for the Hiddink/Hitzfeld references, I take it Mr Oliver frequents this place :)

As for the Hiddink/Hitzfeld references, I take it Mr Oliver frequents this place :)

Or ours :)

He definetly goes on N-O, so I imagine he'll have had a gander over here.

77590[/snapback]

You might want to get your dictionary out before Gemmill has a spak-attack... :)

Its a surprise to see Anal Oliver (unlike Fat Fred) finally seems aware that many intelligent toon fans are wanting the likes of Hitzfeld, Hiddink, Le Guin etc. and that we aren't all obsessed with having a geordie/English/British manager!

Shepherd has shown more than once when the right player is available he will pay seriously big money to get the best. Yet when it comes to the manager, the most important man at any club instead of going for the best we go for an imbecellic fuckwitt who was in the process of getting Blackburn relegated and we actually pay them for the "privallege" of getting him!

Its no coincidence that the teams who go for some of europes best and respected coaches benefit and teams who go for shite Blackburn managers suffer:

Arsenal - got Wenger and have never looked back

Chelsea - Got Jose and are almost invincible

Liverpool - Got Rafa and are champs of europe

Spurs - Got Jol and could get into CL something they have never once looked capable of

Toon - Got Souness and now look second best to Mansfield

Its a surprise to see Anal Oliver (unlike Fat Fred) finally seems aware that many intelligent toon fans are wanting the likes of Hitzfeld, Hiddink, Le Guin etc. and that we aren't all obsessed with having a geordie/English/British manager!

77672[/snapback]

To be fair Papa L, Oliver is now obsessed with getting Souness out ever since h pissed him off and will probably use everything he can to do so...

As Ally and I have pointed out, he only has to read a few NUFC forums and he knows what the fans want and will write about it to add pressure...

I reckon these top managers must have been approached at some point but from some reason don't fancy it (FS maybe). I'd settle for Keegan/Shearer partnership with Rob Lee and Clarky on the backroom staff, at least until the end of the season

77672[/snapback]

To be fair Papa L, Oliver is now obsessed with getting Souness out ever since h pissed him off and will probably use everything he can to do so...

As Ally and I have pointed out, he only has to read a few NUFC forums and he knows what the fans want and will write about it to add pressure...

77867[/snapback]

It is quite obvious how shallow and transparent Oliver is and how quickly he's turned on Souness since he fell out with him!

What is sad though is that because of how easilly influenced/fooled alot of fans are and how thick Fat Fred is, had Oliver been doing his job as a journalist from day one, Souness would have been out long ago.

I'm no journalist but if i had been Oliver i guarentee i could have got Souness out before this season started. Its not hard, just put a negative spin on everything instead of kissing his arse, focus all stories on the bad stuff instead of hiding it, back Bellamy, Robert etc. instead of the boss and continually question his tactics, selections, coaching, fitness work and the like and sooner or later the fans and then Fred would react.

As for the Hiddink/Hitzfeld references, I take it Mr Oliver frequents this place :yes

Or ours :P

77590[/snapback]

Course he does - did HTT tell you? B) Although it would certainly explain why he talks so much shit. :yes

As for the Hiddink/Hitzfeld references, I take it Mr Oliver frequents this place :yes

Or ours :P

77590[/snapback]

Course he does - did HTT tell you? B) Although it would certainly explain why he talks so much shit. :yes

78502[/snapback]

Nope!

No idea if he's signed up on the forum, I highly doubt it. But he does read the site, remember he complained about the Anal Oliver stuff?

He also wrote a book that put newcastle-online as the 2nd best NUFC website, doubt he'll have just made it up :yes

Even if he's not signed up he'll still go on the forum, in the same way he'll go on here and other forums. He needs gossip to fill his columns and where better to get it?

B)

He also wrote a book that put newcastle-online as the 2nd best NUFC website, doubt he'll have just made it up :yes

78804[/snapback]

Well I hardly think he'd come to that conclusion having visited the site. They let YOU write articles on there, FFS! B)

He also wrote a book that put newcastle-online as the 2nd best NUFC website, doubt he'll have just made it up B)

78804[/snapback]

Well I hardly think he'd come to that conclusion having visited the site. They let YOU write articles on there, FFS! :P

78811[/snapback]

Take that back :yes

78804[/snapback]

Well I hardly think he'd come to that conclusion having visited the site. They let YOU write articles on there, FFS! :P

78811[/snapback]

We've been through this before, the site is good. The forum is shite B)

Or ours :yes

77590[/snapback]

Course he does - did HTT tell you? B) Although it would certainly explain why he talks so much shit. B)

78502[/snapback]

Nope!

No idea if he's signed up on the forum, I highly doubt it. But he does read the site, remember he complained about the Anal Oliver stuff?

Even if he's not signed up he'll still go on the forum, in the same way he'll go on here and other forums. He needs gossip to fill his columns and where better to get it?

:razz:

78804[/snapback]

Did he complain in person? Or was it a representative of the paper who complained??

My comment about him frequenting this place was largely tongue in cheek. I don't doubt that some office junior at Thompson House is given the thankless task of sifting through the forums to gauge supporter opinion, but Oliver doing it himself?

He's too busy doing comments for SSN and having afternoon tea with Fat Fred tbh.

:P

BTW - what's this book you're talking about? First I've heard of it and I'm surprised that HTT hasn't been over here gloating on about it tbh and telling us that this place was gonna die a perpetual death.... B)

Did he complain in person? Or was it a representative of the paper who complained??

My comment about him frequenting this place was largely tongue in cheek. I don't doubt that some office junior at Thompson House is given the thankless task of sifting through the forums to gauge supporter opinion, but Oliver doing it himself?

He's too busy doing comments for SSN and having afternoon tea with Fat Fred tbh.

:yes

BTW - what's this book you're talking about? First I've heard of it and I'm surprised that HTT hasn't been over here gloating on about it tbh and telling us that this place was gonna die a perpetual death.... B)

78857[/snapback]

Dampness in Buildings Alan Oliver

Or ours :yes

77590[/snapback]

Course he does - did HTT tell you? B) Although it would certainly explain why he talks so much shit. B)

78502[/snapback]

Nope!

:razz:

78804[/snapback]

:P

78857[/snapback]

You'd have to ask HTT who complained to be honest.

Oliver wrote that little book of everything Toon:

1843535602.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Picture doesn't match the title you've said though..

Authors of that book with the subbutteo man on it are Mikey Carr and Paul Simpson. You sure Oliver didn't just write the foreword? :yes