West Brom vs Newcastle United

2bias

We were unbeaten at home in 7 games before Sunday. including Chelsea and Benfica.

People talking shite saying stuff like "I don't see where the points will come from"

we've lost a fair few at home this season don't forget. and we've only won away once all season. the home games we've got left aren't the easiest too.

i think we'll stay up but it's going to be a lot closer than we'd like - might be a case of chalking up the odd win and enough draws to see us home. when we had 7 games left, i thought beat fulham and sunderland and we're fine. now it's not so straightforward.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were unbeaten at home in 7 games before Sunday. including Chelsea and Benfica.

People talking shite saying stuff like "I don't see where the points will come from"

The away record which has barely improved even with the new players is what causes me to worry.

Plus two difficult home games.

One bad game. We played well against Fulham and Benfica twice. We should be beating West Brom and I expect us to

I agree with that, everyone says "form counts for nothing in a derby" etc etc

then we lose and suddenly we're relegation certainties

Plus two difficult home games.

Liverpool haven't beaten anyone above us on the road.

Not sure where the Europa qualifying position will fall this season, but hopefully with Swansea having taken one place already Liverpools chances are slim and they have little to play for.

Bar a few injury time winners we would already be down. Its understandable that confidence is low heading into the last 5 games, particularly given how poor we play.

:lol:

If we didn't win the games we won we'd be down.

More top notch insight from CT.

It's such a tough position tactically though - we are in this position (in the latter half of the season) due to giving the opposition too much respect (IMO) and setting out defensively.

But then he plays an offensive formation against Sunderland and the players don't adapt (or he picks an offensive team and tells them to play defensively).

Either way, our current team seems hamstrung by a lack of creativity that can only come with confidence from playing offensively and beating opponents.

Going to be an interesting run in, and though I do feel that you can argue that we deserve to be in the relegation battle - I can't see us really getting dragged in.

I'm a minority that expects a bounce back against WBA, even if its just a point.

To be fair to people though, I think there's only one team who's lost more games than us.

I think we'll react to Sunday by putting in a good performance but you can't blame people for being worried.

I don't think we've played much football in the last two home games tbh. Without imagination and creativity we have to rely on battling qualities which I'm not sure we have.

Thankfully there are quite a few 6 pointers between the clubs around us.

I would fancied us to win this before the travesty that was last weekend. Not sure now. If last weekend was a totally isolated one off that was largely due to Benfica mid week as Pardew claimed, then sure, I see us getting something here.

If last weekend was just as much as we were capable of, we're gonna lose.

Jonas out or at the very least about as far from 'left back' as possible. Otherwise pretty much unchanged and hope Elliot has a blinder.

When we beat the unwashed 5-1, it seemed to give them a HUGE kick up the arse. They went on a bit of a run.

Time to see what Pardew is really made of now. I expect a similar response or we are up the creek.

No EXCUSES for Pardew to grab on to this time. I bet he's shitting himself, like I am.

When we beat the unwashed 5-1, it seemed to give them a HUGE kick up the arse. They went on a bit of a run.

Time to see what Pardew is really made of now. I expect a similar response or we are up the creek.

No EXCUSES for Pardew to grab on to this time. I bet he's shitting himself, like I am.

Maybe it'll do us a favour. I think people expected us to get 6 points from Fulham and Sunderland and that would see us nicely through to the summer. 4 points from those 5 games is doable, so I'm not panicking.

I'm not happy with the situation we are now in due to our poor performences, especially against Blunderland, and to be honest I think our safety will be dependent more on the teams below us losing rather than us gaining points from our remaining games.

After the effort that went into the wins against Fulham, Anzhi, Stoke, Southampton, Chelsea and Villa this year I can only assume this view that we cannot win games is defeatism solely on the back of Sundays performance.

Record for 2013...

P20 W7 D4 L9

35% win rate

42% points rate

The sack/resignation talk has escalated, but even Pardew's recent record is still better than the full records of Dalglish, Allardyce, Hughton, Souness, Keegan (2), Gullit & Kinnear.

Losses...

Tottenham

Man City

Benfica

Everton

Swansea

Brighton

Reading

Wigan

Mackems

So 4 out of 20 games have ended in embarrassing defeat, but 3 of them are off teams scrapping for their premier league lives. Wigan showed against Man City last night once again how the clubs in the shit lift their games.

In fact, if you take it from the end of January, when the squad got the boost it needed...

P15 W6 D3 L6

40% win rate

47% points rate

Losses...

Tottenham

Man City

Benfica

Swansea

Wigan

Mackems

Only 2 particularly disappointing defeats...and one of those in the last minute, to what CT would call a lucky goal. 47% points would be 54 points over the course of a season.

my `defeatism ' is not just down to Sunday's defeat.I am one of the few who thought we weren't that bad aginst relegation threatened sunlun.I am not one of the `Pardew out' brigade by the way.I can see every team in and around us picking up points.We are currently the 8th worst team in the league and we only have QPR to play who are below us.Only one team in the league have lost more games than us.Only two teams in the league have conceded more goals.If you're not worried about our position then fine,but the fixtures we have left are far from encouraging.

how many of the below fixtures can people see us winning? this west brom game is massive. if we lose this weekend, as i expect we will, it's squaky bum time for the run in. a victory and we're all but safe. massive game tbh

west brom a

liverpool h

west ham a

qpr a

arsenal h