Rooney Rule

The Fish

The FA want to bring in "Rooney Rule"-ish legislation whereby clubs must interview at least 1 black candidate for every senior position. They don't have to employ a certain number of black employees, but it's an effort to increase the awareness and therefore number of black coaches and managers.

Thoughts?

Could it just be an age thing? When Hughton and Ince were in their pomp were there as many non-white players then, as there are now? (reportedly 30%)

Could we see a dramatic (but natural) increase in black managers over the next 20yrs?

Given that there's perhaps only 20 black managers in the english game - it's a bit silly.

They'd argue they are trying to increase that number, but its football getting involved in politics and not really appropriate, I reckon.

The problem is that not enough black people want to be manager, or that club owners are slightly racist - this is a reflection of society or conditions, not football.

Edited by scoobos

Given that there's perhaps only 20 black managers in the english game - it's a bit silly.

There's five in the English game.

The PFA says that about 18% of players on their coaching courses are black or from other ethnic minorities

There are 192 Uefa Pro Licence owners in England and 14 of those are black coaches

Around 30% of players in the professional game are non-white

There are five black managers in English professional football: Chris Hughton (pictured), Chris Powell, Paul Ince, Chris Kiwomya and Edgar Davids

Edited by The Fish

As an aside, it's a disgrace there are only 192 Pro Licensed coaches in England. This article is 3 years old, but I can't imagine there has been a sufficient change to the status quo.

...new Uefa data shows that there are only 2,769 English coaches holding Uefa's B, A and Pro badges, its top qualifications. Spain has produced 23,995, Italy 29,420, Germany 34,970 and France 17,588.

There are 2.25 million players in England and only one Uefa-qualified coach for every 812 people playing the game. Spain, the World Cup favourites, have 408,134 players, giving a ratio of 1:17. In Italy, the world champions, the ratio is 1:48, in France it is 1:96, Germany 1:150 and even Greece, the Euro 2004 winners, have only 180,000 registered players for their 1,100 coaches, a ratio of 1:135.

There are 192 Uefa Pro Licence owners in England and 14 of those are black coaches - I assume that includes Chris Hughton, Powel at al.

so less than 20.

Sorry your sentence seemed to suggest it's not worth it because there aren't enough managers. The problem is that there aren't enough black managers at all, not that there aren't enough black managers already in jobs to be in a position to apply.

Mate of mine says the following

Regarding the Rooney Rule, I am against positive discrimination. I also fundamentally do not believe there is a lack of black managers in the leagues because of prejudice at boardroom or fan level, I just think it is because the generation of would-be black mangers haven’t come through yet. Also, in the 80’s there weren’t wholesale numbers of black footballers (they would be the 45-55 year old managers now) so the generation of premier league footballers in the 90’s are the ones who would be the current wave (i.e. the 35-45 year olds). However that is also the millionaire generation so they (and white footballers) have less desire to step into management. This point is proven by the likes of Fat Sam, Warnock, Redknapp, O’Neill, and to an extent Pardew, being the ‘old-boys’ club of managers who continue to get jobs at the highest level. They are the >50-55 year old managers who were footballers in the 60-70’s when there were very few black players, hence they are all white.

The other element is that the 90’s saw the influx of foreign players. They generally have a tendency to return to their home country to manage therefore the % of black players in the Prem over the last 15 years has been inflated by non-UK players, who were not ‘eligible’ to be UK managers as they returned to France, Holland, Africa etc.

And finally, it would be interesting to see the ratio of black footballers to black managers. I accept the average will less than it should be, but there have actually been a few black managers in the leagues over the last few years: Powell, Hughton, Alexander, Ince, Gullit (off the top of my head).

In summary, the issue isn’t white vs black but generation of old boys vs generation of new millionaires. Rooney Rule doesn’t solve that. Solution should be to encourage current/newly retired players (of all races) to take their coaching badges. The problem lies on the training fields, not in the boardroom

According to football writer Simon Kuper theres a saying in Holland that goes "He knows about as much about football as the average Englishman" :lol:

When you look at the number of qualified coaches there and in the likes of Germany, theyve got a point.

What about asian managers? Females? Transgender?

Stupid rule which does nothing but encourage racial discrimination. Better off encouraging any player of any background to get into the profession when they hang up their boots. Why should every club be forced to give a token interview to a candidate based on their race? This goes directly against the kick it out campaign.

If they think the current crop of club owners aren't giving interviews to the nominal number of black managers based on their race, what makes them think forcing them to interview one of said managers would change their mind? If a bigoted owner isn't going to give an interview to someone because of their race, they're just going to conduct shame interviews when forced to accept certain applicants.

I think I should be able to manage Newcastle, because there aren't enough Managers in the premier league with cysts on their balls that wont go away.

For every job given to a black manager I think they should have interviewed at least one person with a really uncomfortable cyst just in the "seating" area of his plums.

Lets call it the Buster Gonad rule.

Edited by scoobos

I think I should be able to manage Newcastle, because there aren't enough Managers in the premier league with cysts on their balls that wont go away.

For every job given to a black manager I think they should have interviewed at least one person with a really uncomfortable cyst just in the "seating" area of his plums.

Lets call it the Buster Gonad rule.

:lol: I will also be applying in this category. Unfortunately.

So the first question on the application form will have to be ...Are you black ?

They're not allowed to ask that question directly, instead they'll be asking the applicant to indicate on a scale of 1-10 just how much they love fried chicken.