The Battle for the Top Half

Happy Face

That's fair enough, but results did turn a bit post January and we played pretty well in Europe iyam. Not sure what it all means tbh, am not sure why with the talent we've got we're down the bottom. Don't know if the likes of Bird's article about cliques may be a bit of propaganda to blame the players rather than Pardew totally. Its probably both, Thursday/Sunday, piss weak squad to deal with it etc etc...what a fuckin mess...

Aye, we just one this one to be over and survive.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the players do as they were told last season?

Im not sure what you dont get. Post Christmas last year we played 433 with Ba out wide and Cisse up front. Pardew chose to change that system this season to pacify Ba. It didnt work.

He never addressed the lack of balance or creativity on the left.

He has played players who he knows to be out of form and set the team up to play a nervous, disjointed hoofball that hasnt worked.

Sissoko on the right, Gouffran on the bench etc etc.

These are all choices HE has got wrong this season and persisted with.

This is why we are fourth bottom.

The trailed Telegraph story from Luke Edwards..... seems to point the finger chiefly at Pardew's tactics :lol:http://www.telegraph...room-split.html

i read that similar to Birds and sounds a lot to me like a Pardew aide briefing against the French to deflect eyes off Pardew. Looks like the hacks are lapping it up as well.

a nothing article really just speculation.

No idea how colo commands respect now mind after his attempt at the forced move and then buggering off to south america

Absolutely. His behaviour in January rocked the boat far more than I think we give credit. The captain, the last strand of the 'spirit' of the team which we had when we went down and then came back up. I'm still really disappointed with him, and I can't imagine the playing staff feeling any different. We need someone of his calibre on the pitch, but it's so fucking depressing that his heart seems so far away from Newcastle.

he did really achieve little as a player you're right, but Wenger also won the french ligue1 within 3years of becoming a manager, won it in his first season with monaco as well as the coup de france after that before he left for japan won 2 cups there in a year then arrived at arsenal.

After his first season at arsenal he won the league and the fa cup. and obviously started picking up trophys year after year.

Pardews never won anything at any club in his 14 year managerial career. If you were a player and had someone young starting out but seemed like they might have something as your manager (villa boas for example) you're more likely to give them a go and a bigger chance than someone who has won fuck all anywhere in 14years of trying but has suffered relegation before.

All basically true. But the members of Arsenal's squad in 96 had never heard of him according to Tony Adams book and he was viewed with huge suspicion by the players there who had already won two titles and various cups under George Graham. Pardew was walking into a completely different changing room in 2010. That's changed, but he did get a lot out of Cabaye last season. Theres more to it than Cabaye turning round and saying "show us your medals". I think he's been in the huff the entire season (when fit) because any move last summer was blocked. The club is set up as a "stepping stone", so they'll have to deal with this situation more often than not. Spurs appear to be run on similar lines, but have managed to stay in the top 6 for the best part of a decade. We've been relegated in that time. And we're not in London. All this matters to one extent or another.

After all the debacle surrounding his move to Liverpoo and his subsequent return to SJP with them, Andy will be relishing the thought of kicking the boot into us.

Possibly the same for Nolan, too.

Edited by dbsweeney

After all the debacle surrounding his move to Liverpoo and his subsequent return to SJP with them, he'll be relishing the thought of kicking the boot into us.

Possibly the same for Nolan, too.

Not to mention Allardyce wanting to play the salt in the wound.

Wigan at West Brom on Saturday......Baggies still seem motivated this season, this won't be easy for the pie munchers...if we match or better Wigan's results we're home and hosed regardless of what they do in their game in hand v Swansea. Am daring to think we might get a point at the weekend. Maybe not. Actually, as usual fuck knows whats going to happen :scratchhead:

The players need a hefty kick up the arse as much as Pardew does if you ask me. You hear the word passion which is all and good but you also need sound common sense. It doesn't need someone standing on a touchline to tell you there's a bloke running free from you into space.

Im not sure what you dont get. Post Christmas last year we played 433 with Ba out wide and Cisse up front. Pardew chose to change that system this season to pacify Ba. It didnt work.

He never addressed the lack of balance or creativity on the left.

He has played players who he knows to be out of form and set the team up to play a nervous, disjointed hoofball that hasnt worked.

Sissoko on the right, Gouffran on the bench etc etc.

These are all choices HE has got wrong this season and persisted with.

This is why we are fourth bottom.

What I don't get is your shifting criticisms.

Last season he played Ba out of position for a few games. We put in some canny performances set up like that but it caused discontent in the camp. We cruised into Europe though, so you called him a coward and a pacifier for not sticking to his guns. However unhappy the players are, he should make them do it.

This season (largely out of necessity) he has also asked some players to play where they wouldn't normally. It has also caused discontent in the camp, but you're in support of the players this time, if they spit their dummies Pardew should pacify them. All of a sudden he should only ever play them where they are most comfortable.

It's almost as if you make it up as you go along.

Worst of all after complaining about the team being set up as it has been, you hoy up ANOTHER formation you've decided will be the dogs bollocks, irrespective of half the players in it not actually being available to Pardew in the real world.

tumblr_lt0vn4ShHZ1r02mipo1_400.gif

What I don't get is your shifting criticisms.

Last season he played Ba out of position for a few games. We put in some canny performances set up like that but it caused discontent in the camp. We cruised into Europe though, so you called him a coward and a pacifier for not sticking to his guns. However unhappy the players are, he should make them do it.

This season (largely out of necessity) he has also asked some players to play where they wouldn't normally. It has also caused discontent in the camp, but you're in support of the players this time, if they spit their dummies Pardew should pacify them. All of a sudden he should only ever play them where they are most comfortable.

It's almost as if you make it up as you go along.

Worst of all after complaining about the team being set up as it has been, you hoy up ANOTHER formation you've decided will be the dogs bollocks, irrespective of half the players in it not actually being available to Pardew in the real world.

tumblr_lt0vn4ShHZ1r02mipo1_400.gif

You can carry the team with you playing the odd player out of position when all is going well and it's working. When its evidently not working and you refuse to change then you deserve the shit you get.

You can carry the team with you playing the odd player out of position when all is going well and it's working. When its evidently not working and you refuse to change then you deserve the shit you get.

He's changed it every week this year man.

He's tried moving Sissoko, Cabaye, Marveaux, Gouffran, Gutierez, HBA, Perch and Tiote backwards, forwards left and right. The problem is not that he won't try anything different it's that he tries something different week in and week out and the players have little clue and little practice in fulfilling a role they've been assigned. They have no idea from one game to the next who will be either side of them, where the pace will be or where the covering man will be.

What he needs is a stable first 11, not more changes.

He's changed it every week this year man.

He's tried moving Sissoko, Cabaye, Marveaux, Gouffran, Gutierez, HBA, Perch and Tiote backwards, forwards left and right. The problem is not that he won't try anything different it's that he tries something different week in and week out and the players have little clue and little practice in fulfilling a role they've been assigned. They have no idea from one game to the next who will be either side of them, where the pace will be or where the covering man will be.

What he needs is a stable first 11, not more changes.

Managers have to cope when there is no stable first 11 which happens at many clubs.

He has tactically fucked up time and time again this season and continues to do so.

I can't be arsed to revisit every discussion and every mistake but they were all evident 10 games in.

Managers have to cope when there is no stable first 11 which happens at many clubs.

He has tactically fucked up time and time again this season and continues to do so.

I can't be arsed to revisit every discussion and every mistake but they were all evident 10 games in.

He HAS fucked up aye. You and Cabaye would not have done better though.

Have you got this....

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/football-manager-handheld/id580830559?mt=8

Perfect for your dream formations and hypothetical tactical solutions. Save us the pleasure ;)

He HAS fucked up aye. You and Cabaye would not have done better though.

Have you got this....

https://itunes.apple...d580830559?mt=8

Perfect for your dream formations and hypothetical tactical solutions. Save us the pleasure ;)

Me and Cabaye and half the fuckers on here would have done better man, thats half the problem. His decision making this year has been disastrous.

Would you have left Gouffran and HBA on the bench and started three in midfield at home to Liverpool?

No you probably wouldnt.

Are we now saying Krul, Debuchy, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Cisse, Sissoko, Ben Arfa etc are all shit players?

....HBA on the bench

I'm not saying that, but I am saying that due to the board mismanagement of the squad (Pardoo's got fook all to do with that) - we didn't have those players

Colo, Krul, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Tiote have all been out for horribly long periods.

CT, calling for the managers head with 3 games to go is absolute madness. This kind of knee jerk "I WANT WIN NOW, WE ARE WORLD BEATERS WHY ARENT WE WINNING" crap gets this clubs fans a bad name.

Any club, with a squad of 12 1st team players , 2 of which are long term injured in the first half of the season - would struggle.

After January - with 1st team striker left (shola doesnt count) - I'd bet the majority of managers would struggle to get 5 foreign players to instantly fit and gel in the team and its ethos. You can call Man City or something stupid like that, but they are WORLD CLASS established players - not the players we buy. (Deb perhaps excepted)

Sure someone could go out and ask them to attack, but the bottom line is we were playing with 6 or 7 1st teamers and the rest 2nd team who aren't good enough - they are still going to lose.

We did well in the Europa league with effectively a 2nd team as we didn't have the players (until the end).

Oh and given that Ben Arfa is clearly carrying weight, unfit and not all clear from his injury - I wouldn't play him in the 1st team against a team thats likely to beat us anyway. The last thing we need is another niggling long term problem a'la Cabaye. I'd love to see him come on for the first 20 mins though, then go off - than the last 20.

Edited by scoobos