The Battle for the Top Half

Happy Face

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from Pardew after the 2-1 win against Stoke back in March:

"To be honest, I think we are done. You have got to get 40 points, of course, but we are now seven points from that with nine games left, and you would expect this team to follow through with the standard it has got now to be able to do that."

The foot has come off the gas, hasn't it?

(As much as I agree that you would expect this team to have followed through)

Edited by BigWalrus

Quote from Pardew after the 2-1 win against Stoke back in March:

"To be honest, I think we are done. You have got to get 40 points, of course, but we are now seven points from that with nine games left, and you would expect this team to follow through with the standard it has got now to be able to do that."

The foot has come off the gas, hasn't it?

(As much as I agree that you would expect this team to have followed through)

Seems like the players thought the season ended after the West Brom game tbh.

Pards has talked a few times now about players thinking the season was 'over' some games back. What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Even if we had gotten mathematically safe, does it mean the players are allowed to play in the embarrassing manner of the last few games? Its just bloody ridiculous! He says it as some sort of a defence, as if its not really our fault we thought it was all over. Now we know it was wrong and we'll do something about it.

I know it probably didnt happen exactly like that but its all still very unsatisfactory. Makes you think all the talk about the foreigners making us soft may be true. Gary Neville going on about it on Sky apparently.

Edited by aimaad22

Not sure end of season drop off is anything to get worked up about. Seems assumed it will happen to Swansea and West Brom when they play Wigan.

Don't think the results against the Mackems or Liverpool were that though.

Not sure end of season drop off is anything to get worked up about. Seems assumed it will happen to Swansea and West Brom when they play Wigan.

Don't think the results against the Mackems or Liverpool were that though.

Problem was that we've been mentally "on the beach" recently. Its hard to turn that mindset around when our form and heart has gone.

Everyone has been guilty of waxing lyrical over Graham Carr and his amazing French signings, until now.

From that Mag article. :aye:

It seemed a good idea at the time when the squad needed strengthening but it's showing now that the French influx isn't working. Idle and spineless - get the Germans in.

NEWCASTLE United’s players don’t have relegation clauses in their contracts, it was revealed today.

The club is 17th in the Premier League with three games left to play.

And relegation to the Championship for a second time in five years is a very real threat.

Relegation clauses reduce a player’s salary in the event of the club dropping out of the Premier League.

However, it is not United’s policy to negotiate them.

The Gazette understands the issue for Newcastle with such deals is that many players are unwilling to even discuss a move if a clause is to be inserted in their contract.

An alternative is to sell players to balance the books in the event of relegation.

A number of high-earners left St James’s Park four years ago after the club’s last demotion to English football’s second tier.

I feel fucking sick, just ran through the BBC predictor and it came out with us relegated. Us, Norwich and Wigan all on 39 points and us losing out on goal difference... I can't handle another drop in to the Championship, I feel numb.

Incidentally, I wonder how many of our players have relegation clauses in their contracts? How many would leave? How much of the wages we'd need to shift off the books and what we'd be left with...

Anything less than 3 points against qpr and I think we're down.

If we can't beat QPR, away or home, when they have nothing more to play for this season, we deserve to go down tbh.