The Battle for the Top Half

Happy Face

I know I'm a stuck record on this point but any kind of reliance - and since January its been a huge one - on Shola has cost the club massively.

I don't understand it, if Pardew hadn't been so adamant playing his ever-failing direct style, which he obviously don't have the right players to do, instead of playing a pointless striker like Ameobi far beyond his best age, we could have come freakin far into the development of Adam Campbell. It frustrates the shit out of me...

Edited by Aeris

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, as it stands now.

Not sure why you and others are so certain we're down. It really isn't a foregone conclusion and it won't be even if Sunderland and WIgan win their games in hand.

Beating QPR is essential regardless though, that much is true. I reckon Wigan will get a win, a draw, and a loss from their 3 games. So one win for us will be enough.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I never said we are certain to go down. I am suggesting that it is viirtually out of our hands as it stands now, today. Let's just hope that we take care of our business and the fuck!n mackems lose tomorrow as well as wigan and a few other teams that are in this battle.

I've never really known us go into the last game of a season needing a result and getting one bar leicester away some twenty years ago. I cannot stress enough how important QPR is and I hope the players fully realise it although 9-0 in two games means the damage could already have been done by them. This will have been without doubt the most unnecessary relegation in the history of the PL since our last one if we fail to stay up, both on Ashley's watch. Scandalous we're in this position after three years hard work since their last big fuck up. Mike Ashley 'Genius' eh?

:jesuswept:

Edited by Howmanheyman

My concern, is that if we do go down, unlike last time I don't think we have the squad to come straight back up.

Half (at least) of the 1st XI will be away before the tears are dry on the faces of our less sturdy following, the thought of relying on those that would remain to fight a Championship season for us leaves me shuddering.

My concern, is that if we do go down, unlike last time I don't think we have the squad to come straight back up.

Half (at least) of the 1st XI will be away before the tears are dry on the faces of our less sturdy following, the thought of relying on those that would remain to fight a Championship season for us leaves me shuddering.

Half? Frankly, I can't think of any from our proper 1st XI who will stay. Possibly a few of the back-ups - Elliot, Perch, Williamson, Shola, Obertan (dear God!) - but none of our purples (whatever the fcuk that means)

We can expect our first team to include the likes of Perch Williamson Shola etc. Its bloody horrifying, we're bloody doomed. Saturday's game could well be the defining point of where this club is in 10 years time. Hope the lads are up for it.

As much as the QPR match is pivotal, I feel it's as much about the other teams as us. I am not confident of us getting better than a draw.....so I'm praying the likes of Norwich, Wigan and the mackems fuck it up in their remaining matches. It's as depressing as fuck we're in this position and so unnecessary

I've never really known us go into the last game of a season needing a result and getting one bar leicester away some twenty years ago. I cannot stress enough how important QPR is and I hope the players fully realise it although 9-0 in two games means the damage could already have been done by them. This will have been without doubt the most unnecessary relegation in the history of the PL since our last one if we fail to stay up, both on Ashley's watch. Scandalous we're in this position after three years hard work since their last big fuck up. Mike Ashley 'Genius' eh?

:jesuswept:

Its not just about Ashley. Its quite obvious the players thought we were safe a few weeks back. You can see that from the general lack of shit given in some performances, and even Pards has stated as much a couple of times. Now the fact that the players got into this mindset, and our management didnt notice then or think it necessary to shake them out of it is a complete and utter disgrace. Forget the complete lack of professionalism such laxness shows, or the lack of respect to club and fans, the fact we're in this position so soon again after the last great fuck up says everything really.

Edited by aimaad22

What would you put it down to if we were relegated?

Lack of summer investment coupled with a bad run of injuries? - I'm struggling to accept that since the latter half of the season we spent with a good crop of new players (though see below)

Lack of replacing Ba? We needed a new forward then we sold Ba. Gouffran is canny but we needed him and Ba. We never replaced Ba and playing Cisse on his own with an out of sorts HBA and poor form Jonas isn't cutting it.

Pards tactics? He seem to be following a similar pattern like at prior clubs. Playing Gosling over Anita? Players in strange positions as so on. A bigger concern for me over these is the seeming lack of motivation of the players. The lack of fight. I still believe we have a strong first team and average squad. When people are saying we are too strong to go down yet we are in the position we are in you have to ask why and while I've been reluctant to judge too swiftly, all things considered points towards poor management imo.

First time we were relegated I blamed Ashley's handling of the club, without question.

This time I don't.

Outside of Reading and QPR, has anyone actually been consistently shitter than us all season? Our play had been stuttering at best and then we sold our top scorer.

Looking at our final games...

QPR have scored more and conceded less than us in the last 8 games.

We currently have the worst away form in the league and Arsenal have the best away form. Arsenal won't be allowed to forget their capitulation here last season, I expect them to be very highly motivated.

Even if we achieve this season's SECOND away win at QPR we could still go down losing to Arsenal.

We don't just need to beat QPR, we need to put a few past them to improve our GD and even then I think we'll need to squeeze something from the Arse on the day to be sure.

Edited by trophyshy

As someone, thought provokingly, posted on another forum:

"The thought of relegation is much worse than the reality"

Which if you think about it is true. The team will still play games each week (more often than not on a Saturday) in a competition they realistically have a chance to win, as opposed to playing games all over the shop, each week, in a competition they have absolutely no chance to win.

Still rather stop up mind, but quite philosophical otherwise.

Lack of summer investment coupled with a bad run of injuries? - I'm struggling to accept that since the latter half of the season we spent with a good crop of new players (though see below)

Lack of replacing Ba? We needed a new forward then we sold Ba. Gouffran is canny but we needed him and Ba. We never replaced Ba and playing Cisse on his own with an out of sorts HBA and poor form Jonas isn't cutting it.

Pards tactics? He seem to be following a similar pattern like at prior clubs. Playing Gosling over Anita? Players in strange positions as so on. A bigger concern for me over these is the seeming lack of motivation of the players. The lack of fight. I still believe we have a strong first team and average squad. When people are saying we are too strong to go down yet we are in the position we are in you have to ask why and while I've been reluctant to judge too swiftly, all things considered points towards poor management imo.

First time we were relegated I blamed Ashley's handling of the club, without question.

This time I don't.

The lack of depth of the squad has been the boards fault and not made Pardew's easy.

Still the awful performances and the criminal missuse of some players are foremost down to the manager. With this squad we should be nowhere near the relegation zone even considering bad luck and/or injuries.

As someone, thought provokingly, posted on another forum:

"The thought of relegation is much worse than the reality"

Which if you think about it is true. The team will still play games each week (more often than not on a Saturday) in a competition they realistically have a chance to win, as opposed to playing games all over the shop, each week, in a competition they have absolutely no chance to win.

Still rather stop up mind, but quite philosophical otherwise.

We did very well to dominate the division last time we went down and come straight back. No guarantee it would be like that again. Could take years to come back. There's no positive spin to put on relegation tbh. We HAVE to survive.

Outside of Reading and QPR, has anyone actually been consistently shitter than us all season? Our play had been stuttering at best and then we sold our top scorer.

Looking at our final games...

QPR have scored more and conceded less than us in the last 8 games.

We currently have the worst away form in the league and Arsenal have the best away form. Arsenal won't be allowed to forget their capitulation here last season, I expect them to be very highly motivated.

Even if we achieve this season's SECOND away win at QPR we could still go down losing to Arsenal.

We don't just need to beat QPR, we need to put a few past them to improve our GD and even then I think we'll need to squeeze something from the Arse on the day to be sure.

Yup. It's not looking good. 42 points needed to be sure. 41 should be enough but you have to be worried about our GD

If we got these players in the summer we'd still be shite. Howay, look at them man ffs, they have not got a fucking clue and are a bunch of idle, spineless twats with no fight in them when the chips are down. Overrated, along with the scouting that everyone was raving about when the names started to come through the door, that's all they are, fancy French names, ooh la laa.

This time I don't.

It's both.

Pardew had his hands tied in the first half of the season. Ashley tried to fix the mess in January and did a decent job other than failing to sign a striker. Pardew has to take a lot of the blame of we do go down for failing to galvanise the dressing room, and ultimately the players too. There's a lot of talent in the squad but not a lot of heart, which is most disappointing given results from the previous couple of seasons were often built on a strong team spirit. Where the fuck has it gone?

We did very well to dominate the division last time we went down and come straight back. No guarantee it would be like that again. Could take years to come back. There's no positive spin to put on relegation tbh. We HAVE to survive.

Not looking for a positive spin tbh and I would much rather we stayed up, but in reality it doesn't matter, team will still run out on a weekend and win some/lose some. Was thinking about this over the weekend, Hull fans going mental because they'd come up, fair do's they've achieved something in the competition they were in, but next season they're likely going be on a hiding week in week out, it's all hype over substance.

Not looking for a positive spin tbh and I would much rather we stayed up, but in reality it doesn't matter, team will still run out on a weekend and win some/lose some. Was thinking about this over the weekend, Hull fans going mental because they'd come up, fair do's they've achieved something in the competition they were in, but next season they're likely going be on a hiding week in week out, it's all hype over substance.

Not concerned that we'll slide even further behind the teams who we have been competing with to a fair degree over the last 20 years? This is the worst possible season to be relegated given the money available to PL teams next year. How will this impact Ashley's attitude toward us (will he give even less of a fuck?), does this reduce the chance of getting a better owner? By extension, should we just drift down the conference as there'll still be games week in week out?

Does anything really matter?

Not concerned that we'll slide even further behind the teams who we have been competing with to a fair degree over the last 20 years? This is the worst possible season to be relegated given the money available to PL teams next year. How will this impact Ashley's attitude toward us (will he give even less of a fuck?), does this reduce the chance of getting a better owner? By extension, should we just drift down the conference as there'll still be games week in week out?

Does anything really matter?

Agreed. How can anyone with an ounce of ambition have that line of thought. Deep down I will always dream about NUFC one day competing with Europe's big boys. Not going to happen anytime soon but you have to believe and work towards something dont you?

As for JawD's post about relegation, I agree with it to some extent. I'm more inclined towards blaming Pards and the players for this absolute shambles of a season. Lack of heart and balls and utter rubbish tactics at times. The players and management have to hold their hands up.

Yup. It's not looking good. 42 points needed to be sure. 41 should be enough but you have to be worried about our GD

Wigan versus Swansea will be the biggest game of our season so far :lol:

This time I don't.

Well Ashley approves the transfers and appoints the manager, coaching & scouting teams... I have a gander at NO now and then and its pretty vehemently anti Pardew...fair shout, but what about the man who appointed him? theres hardly a note of criticsm...if we're (partly) blaming the sudden influx of half a dozen Frenchies in January, then the need for them was obvious the previous May when we qualified for Europe. But there again, the deals we got for 3 of them just weren't on the table in the summer, so anyone who does trace this back to a lack of recruitment in the summer can't have it both ways if they have a history of praising Ashley for his "buy em young, cheap as poss" policy. Possibly we should've bit the bullet a bit more in the summer and had a bit more rotation pre Christmas...possibly we should've signed another striker to replace Ba in Janauary, possibly we should've sacked Pardew before Christmas. If anyone thinks at least one of these things should've happened, then all those decisions are ultimately down to Ashley.