The Battle for the Top Half

Happy Face

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the final game I imagine they'll be no more than 3 teams who can still go down.... that'll be those still on 38 points or less... mackems, Norwich and Wigan. Ourselves and Southampton to win this weekend....perhaps... actually Norwich can conceiveably beat WBA at home, leaving a crapshoot between the tramps and Wigan on the final day with tramps at Champions League scrapping Spurs :) . Villa could well be safe by then just by Arsenal beating Wigan on Tuesday (shirley?) so they may not have a lot to play for :lol:

By the final game I imagine they'll be no more than 3 teams who can still go down.... that'll be those still on 38 points or less... mackems, Norwich and Wigan. Ourselves and Southampton to win this weekend....perhaps... actually Norwich can conceiveably beat WBA at home, leaving a crapshoot between the tramps and Wigan on the final day with tramps at Champions League scrapping Spurs :) . Villa could well be safe by then just by Arsenal beating Wigan on Tuesday (shirley?) so they may not have a lot to play for :lol:

As much as I do like the Derbys and normally hope Sunderland stop up, going into the last game with us safe and them not would be heaven and lead to a joyous day on the piss.

Wigan looked canny going forward against Swansea, but their defence was as bad as I've seen in a long time. Providing they don't do anything silly like get a man sent off, Arsenal should have no trouble picking them off.

Wigan looked canny going forward against Swansea, but their defence was as bad as I've seen in a long time. Providing they don't do anything silly like get a man sent off, Arsenal should have no trouble picking them off.

Also I think the fight that has kept them up in the past, isn't evident this term. Wouldn't be surprised to see Martinez leave if they do go down. Also wouldn't be surprised if the club fail to return for a long time. They've neither the finances, nor the fanbase to expect an immediate return.

Also I think the fight that has kept them up in the past, isn't evident this term. Wouldn't be surprised to see Martinez leave if they do go down. Also wouldn't be surprised if the club fail to return for a long time. They've neither the finances, nor the fanbase to expect an immediate return.

10 years of premier league income, selling players for (in some cases) huge profits (Valencia,Palacios,Cattatwat,Baines etc etc..) yet something I saw the other day says theyre in the bottom 3 wage-wise in the division....Whelan is trousering fuckin millions :lol:

10 years of premier league income, selling players for (in some cases) huge profits (Valencia,Palacios,Cattatwat,Baines etc etc..) yet something I saw the other day says theyre in the bottom 3 wage-wise in the division....Whelan is trousering fuckin millions :lol:

Yeah, Whelan is, but Wigan aren't going to be able to buy their way back.

They've got a low wage bill, but they also have quite a low turnover.

I think they actually turned over a profit last season, but they're just not a big enough draw to make sustained profits AND pay out the wages needed to attract and retain the top players.

Also, I think the club was bank rolled by Whelan in the past. If I remember correctly, they owed him something like £70-80m at one point, but this has come right down recently.

On that basis, he's taken some of his loan back, but he's still owed money.

All their players automatically take wage cuts in the event of relegation. That coupled with parachute payments means that they could conceivably keep most of their squad together for a tilt at promotion first time out.

Whether the players will want to stay is another thing.

Also, I think the club was bank rolled by Whelan in the past. If I remember correctly, they owed him something like £70-80m at one point, but this has come right down recently.

On that basis, he's taken some of his loan back, but he's still owed money.

Aye fair enough. Although if that was Ashley I'd be fuckin fuming :angry2:

Just had a quick look at their accounts. Whelan didn't draw any salary in either of the previous two seasons. The club appears to be supported by loans from various sources, the biggest creditor being the bank. The loans are secured by personal guarantee from Whelan himself, implying they don't own their stadium. Haven't got the time to dig deeper, and it's off on a bit of a tangent from the rest of the thread anyway...

Aye fair enough. Although if that was Ashley I'd be fuckin fuming :angry2:

Prepare to fume - that's exactly what Ashley is doing now. He'll probably take £10-20m of his loan back each season from now on, if we stay up.

Prepare to fume - that's exactly what Ashley is doing now. He'll probably take £10-20m of his loan back each season from now on, if we stay up.

As long as we keep getting good players in Im fine with that. Should he come to sell the club being debt free will only assist / keep the price reasonable.

tbh, I wasnt at my most serious...he's perfectly entitled to do that, the fat cunt.

Can't see Norwich getting anything out of WBA and City.

Villa are safe no question.

West Brom have lost their last two and aren't exactly on fire right now. Not saying that Norwich are but I woudln't entirely dismiss them just yet. I'd like to think Villa are worried about relegation in their final game of the season.