The Battle for the Top Half

Happy Face

Thank god I've been away for four days and missed most of this. Gut wrenching stuff and I can't see any hope of avoiding it. None.

As for the blame pie there is lots to go round, but the biggest chunk without doubt goes to Pardew. Ashley gets the blame for not getting rid of Pardew pre Xmas but like many on here, he rightly thought the January influx was enough to climb away from danger. Of course it should have been.

No benefits of relegation this time around. Only hope is Ashley gets a great manager who is happy to do a year in the championship and doesn't let the "star" players take the easy bus.

At least Shane has been getting Championship practice in ;)

Team negative

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they get beat they'll stay below us,

Well they didn't get beat Tom, and they're above us again with a draw due to our appalling goal difference.

If they draw, we are going to be the weakest of 4 teams and be at 17th when Wigan beats the shit out of Swansea (who can send their best players on an early holiday they want to really. They got nothing left to play for).

I'm not sure we are going to get any points from the next two matches either...we are a shite shite team atm.

What have QPR got left to play for? Less than Swansea I reckon.

There's something really snide about you BTW, I sense you're loving this.

What have QPR got left to play for? Less than Swansea I reckon.

There's something really snide about you BTW, I sense you're loving this.

There's a phenomenon when you're in a position like this where people assume the very worst of their own fixtures and the very best of their opponents. Understandable but irritating.

M'bia tweeting looks ominous for qpr, in disarray right now. If we can't get the 3 points there we deserve to go down and we'll have to just hold our hands up. Fwiw i think we'll be ok. 3 points against qpr and draw against arsenal. would make everything so much more relaxing were wigan to draw or lose tonight tho

Wins for us, the tramps and Norwich on Sunday puts half the division in danger of going down :lol:

Swansea are deemed to have had a good season but would possibly only be two points ahead of us.

West Brom look to be the key, obviously Swansea tonight but theyve also got Norwich at the weekend. Steve Clarke doesnt strike me as a bloke who'd let anyone lie down tbh. Dont think themm getting beat off Wigan had much to do with end of season lack of effort. On 48 points theyre safe, away at manu last game.

Us being in this situation has nothing to do with the sale of Ba. If you remember, we actually started the season ok, beating Spurs, then a lot of draws followed. November was when it really started to go wrong, and December was just as bad, although we played 3 of the top teams then. At this time we still had Ba. After a very good transfer window Cissé could regain his proper position as a striker, and we'd signed Gouffran who's more of a forward/winger. We actually improved in jan-feb, beating Villa, Chelsea and Southampton. After that it's been a disaster, of course, with Pardew adapting the team to the opposition rather than playing our own game.

Playing Cisse on the wing all autumn was disastrous and really fucked up his confidence. Not surprisingly he's started scoring again when played in his proper position.

No, you can't blame this season on Ashley.

So what about the loss of Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Colocinni, STaylor etc? it's only Ba missing for that period that counts?

So what about the loss of Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Colocinni, STaylor etc? it's only Ba missing for that period that counts?

Injuries have cost us of course, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as you make it sound. If we look at that period, Tiote featured in most of the games, S.Taylor too. Ben Arfa played quite a few games in November. We've really missed Colo, even though I think he played in most of the games in December.

Injuries have cost us of course, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as you make it sound. If we look at that period, Tiote featured in most of the games, S.Taylor too. Ben Arfa played quite a few games in November. We've really missed Colo, even though I think he played in most of the games in December.

It's the spine of the team - don't forget Tim Krul too.

The Krul - Coloccini - Tiote - Cabaye - Ben Arfa spine has been significantly disrupted for pretty much the entire season.

Any side outside of the top 4 would have struggled to get anywhere whilst missing so many massive players. This isn't an excuse - it's a reason for our failings. There are only 10 points between us and 8th place - that would be 3 wins and a draw. So beating Reading, Swansea and West Ham at home, whilst picking up a draw at Wigan. I'm convinced we would have managed that with our spine intact.

I think the absence of Krul has cost us a lot. I don't think Elliot is that bad but it reminds me of when Harper deputised for Given - not a blatant "problem" but a significant factor nonetheless.

wqpmhh.jpg

I've removed the top clubs and compared league position with how settled the first 11 are.

Obviously not totally alligned, but I think the trendlines there tell a hell of a story.

I'm possibly overly optimistic but looking at remaining fixtures...

We beat QPR and move onto 41 points. Villa lose to Chelsea who need to win for Champs League football. We're +1 point up on Villa. Wigan beat Swansea and then have to play Arsenal away (who are playing for champs league football), and lose. That means that Wigan are on 38 points on the final day, playing VIlla. If they draw, Wigan go down. If Wigan win, Villa go down, If Villa win, Wigan go down.

All we have to do is beat QPR and hope that the champs league clubs keep up their end of the bargain - and given that none of them will be bolted on top 4 until the final day, they should do.

As contingencies, Norwich have Man City final day, and Sunderland have Spurs.

I'm possibly overly optimistic but looking at remaining fixtures...

We beat QPR and move onto 41 points. Villa lose to Chelsea who need to win for Champs League football. We're +1 point up on Villa. Wigan beat Swansea and then have to play Arsenal away (who are playing for champs league football), and lose. That means that Wigan are on 38 points on the final day, playing VIlla. If they draw, Wigan go down. If Wigan win, Villa go down, If Villa win, Wigan go down.

All we have to do is beat QPR and hope that the champs league clubs keep up their end of the bargain - and given that none of them will be bolted on top 4 until the final day, they should do.

As contingencies, Norwich have Man City final day, and Sunderland have Spurs.

:good:

:pray:

:wank:

:nufc:

Good post!