The Xbox One

Andrew

Next Xbox Reveal Date Confirmed

Adam Barnes

Microsoft's Major Nelson has confirmed that the next Xbox will be revealed in May.

Published on Apr 24, 2013

It's about time. Microsoft has confirmed that the next Xbox - currently codenamed Xbox 720 by the internet - will be revealed on 21 May 2013, as was rumoured previously by a number of different sources.

Microsoft's well known Major Nelson (or Larry Hryb to use his actual name) Tweeted "Here we go!" and a link to a webpage confirming the reveal date of the Xbox 720.

The page reads:

"On Tuesday May 21st, we’ll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment. On that day, we’ll be holding a special press event on the Xbox campus and we invite you to join us via the live global stream that will be available on Xbox.com, Xbox LIVE and broadcast on Spike TV if you are in the US or Canada.

"On that day, we’ll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we’ll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.

"We are thrilled to pull back the curtain and reveal what we’ve been working on."

So there we go, it's actually, finally happening. Now, who gets to ask Microsoft the truth behind the always-on stuff first?

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1900025/next_xbox_reveal_date_confirmed.html

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to bother with the next gen of consoles. I like my RPGs and used games, both of which are going to shit thanks to developers over-reliance on QTEs and insistence on combating piracy rather than embracing a huge market.

Let's hope they also make a console that doesn't break so easily.

• 4 weeks later...

No backwards compatibility and a fee to play preowned games (or share one with a friend)

Yeh fuck that. PS4 winning this race for me.

If i ever go to a high street game shop, it's to have a bit of a browse of pre-owned games and see if they've anything that grabs me. Didn't watch the reveal so don't know the details, but if there's any sort of way that they make pre-owned purchasing less desirable I think the high street shops will suffer massively.

Edited by jonasjuice

Man, there was absolutely nothing relevant to me in that press conference at all. Who wants to use fucking BING to search for something while watching sports? I have a smartphone sitting right next to me. And now the used game news breaking is making me never want one of these at all, unless they shift that. This wouldn't happen under J Allard.

When your show closer is your biggest franchise talking about rad new dogs and IMPROVED ARM HAIR, you really need to second guess that. If they don't show a ton of game footage (if it even exists yet, if the 6 months behind rumour is true) at E3, they'll have lost even more ground because you get the feeling Sony is going to bring it.

Paying a tenner a year or whatever it turns out to be to run used games is much of a muchness, and i'm guessing what they'll do is instead of £33 a year for gold, it'll be 40 or something and that used game addon thing will be part of the perks

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was on a per-title basis to get the market that are buying COD and FIFA used down the line. It's no coincidence that EA dropped their own used game fee (to access online content) right before their "unprecedented partnership" with Microsoft was announced. As long as I can still rent titles, I'll be happy, as long as the games are decent anyway.

Sony have said it won't follow suit btw (http://www.eurogamer...lock-used-games)

But yeah, E3 is in 19 days, were people really expecting game footage? Though I didn't expect their announcements to be as shitty as "USE BING WHILE YOU WATCH TV! You don't have a tablet with an actual decent search engine, do you?!" and "we all know gamers LOVE their sports"

Though I am interested in how much of this dumb TV stuff we get in Europe and if they've bothered to navigate the licensing pratfalls over here and if they have an answer for PS+, which has been kicking the piss out of every Live sale for about a year now.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

No backwards compatibility and no used games save for a pre-owned fee.

So basically...you're getting a voice control for your TV and a new Kinnect, because the first one has been so revolutionary, fresh and successful. It's a shit gaming PC...so why not just go out and buy a new gaming PC instead?

I won't be getting an xbox. What an absolute crock of money-grabbing shit. :lol:

So basically...you're getting a voice control for your TV and a new Kinnect, because the first one has been so revolutionary, fresh and successful. It's a shit gaming PC...so why not just go out and buy a new gaming PC instead?

I won't be getting an xbox. What an absolute crock of money-grabbing shit. :lol:

do you actually mean that wrt the average consumer?

Hang on, back-compat is out for understandable reasons (and will save the consumer money on the console, and it's not something that is to be expected if you ask me) and the used fee thing might very well be what Sony are doing too.

And I'm baffled that people have already written it off and called the PS4 victorious when we've seen so little in the way of games for either, and haven't even seen what the PS4 looks like. As much I think I'll be heading down the PS4 route myself next gen - it's not like the feature-set/USPs of the PS4 are that plentiful either. The game-streaming stuff sounds cool and the improved Vita-connectivity is welcomed (but only matters to those, who haven't in huge numbers yet, put down a significant amount of cash on a Vita themselves). I might care for the TV stuff on the One but that I won't write it off because of that. And kinect is decent, and we've seen almost nothing of what the second version is capable of outside of a tech demo.

I must have said this about 50 times in the last 24 hours to various people: wait for E3.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Hang on, back-compat is out for understandable reasons (and will save the consumer money on the console, and it's not something that is to be expected if you ask me) and the used fee thing might very well be what Sony are doing too.

And I'm baffled that people have already written it off and called the PS4 victorious when we've seen so little in the way of games for either, and haven't even seen what the PS4 looks like. As much I think I'll be heading down the PS4 route myself next gen - it's not like the feature-set/USPs of the PS4 are that plentiful either. The game-streaming stuff sounds cool and the improved Vita-connectivity is welcomed (but only matters to those, who haven't in huge numbers yet, put down a significant amount of cash on a Vita themselves). I might care for the TV stuff on the One but that I won't write it off because of that. And kinect is decent, and we've seen almost nothing of what the second version is capable of outside of a tech demo.

I must have said this about 50 times in the last 24 hours to various people: wait for E3.

Waiting for E3 is exactly what Microsoft should've done. What did they add to the 'reveal' that had to be put back a month? Announcing a new COD - terrific. Not that it's an exclusive title or anything. Perhaps group a few original, exclusive games (not another goddam Halo) together into a technical demo and come out all guns blazing at E3.

Tech demos are fine but honestly how good is it to know that we can see more realistic facial curves when a game is running full flow? Graphical improvements are a given, and there's a jump to be made from the 360 but seriously there's only so much more realism to be had from games.

Kinnects are just like the eye toy for PS2 - gimmicks that boil down to people playing dance games as the hardware is severely limited.

Charging a used fee for pre-owned games is fucking criminal, and it's a damning insight into how the gaming industry is heading. It's ridiculous enough we're having to buy a game full price/used now and then paying MORE to unlock content that's already on the disk. i.e. Metro Last Light's 'ranger mode'. How dare we consumers not buy a game full price! You're looking at buying a game 'used', paying a fee and then paying for the inevitable unlocks of core game mechanics. Used game retailers and customers are already punished enough by the big developers, so Microsoft want a cut of the action. Why buy a used game when you may as well just get it brand new/full price for only about a tenner more?

We can't all run out and spunk £60 on a new game and then sell it on for a paltry fee, which will be even less once retailers will get pittance from used game sales. I fully expect Sony to not charge a used game fee, but then again given the greed displayed by Microsoft you're probably right inferring they'll follow suit.

That said they weren't blocking used games. Microsoft aren't blocking used games either. They're just charging a fee instead. Whether Sony do the same is not confirmed either way.

There's definitely a current article (i thought that was it) that mentions it. I'll try and find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the new Xbox. The new Playstation didn't really impress me with what I saw (Although not a lot was shown) I'm an Xbox man It's looking good so far.