The Xbox One

Andrew

you're all switching for either side and preordering before you've even been near either console like

daft imo, big outlay before even touching a controller or seeing something that hasn't been from a company demo video

Who's preordered except Tom?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but I don't object to paying a little bit more to have one come as part of the bundle. If it means I'm closer to living in Tony Stark's house, I'm all for it.

That's fine, but as they're both available on the Xbox and I've more confidence in their data security, I'm not sure of your point.

One thing I have noticed is that Playstation users are more vociferous in their support of a console. I'll happily own a Playstation, and an Xbox, and a Wii, etc. But the Sony Playstationeers seem to be in a monogamous relationship with their box of tricks.

I've yet to see an Xbox version of DEADMAN. ;)

The three games seemed to be used a leverage towards an Xbox one. Fair enough point about the data security though.

You're right about PS3 people though. Don't actually own one myself.

So far I just don't see the advantage of buying a Xbox one over a ps4.

slightly pedantic Andrew, I mean people declaring their love and switching sides for either machine is a bit premature when it's not out for another 5months, let alone say Tom preordering it before he's seen more than e3 videos.

i

Indeed and i could careless, i just don't understand the reasoning behind it, possibly if you're getting some immense deal or extras etc but likelihood of it being much different to someone walking in on the day and lifting one is slim isn't it?

You do seem to have rather made up your mind on the one though.

Well I'd like to have one for release - I'm quite happy buying FIFA and taking my time after that as I'm no longer a big gamer but I'd like the latest system - which I'll probably get a few years out of and between now and November I'm not going to miss the money. I was only ever getting a PS4 - see the first page of the PS4 thread.

Whereas I am a big gamer. I was always getting one of the next gen consoles and Microsoft have largely made the decision for me based on the attitude they've displayed towards customer rights and service since the announcement.

Add in it costs more which is rationalised as being for the kinect, something I don't want, and I'm pretty happy with the idea of a PS4.

I've had bother a few times. It was a nightmare getting the PSP when that was released and for a while after.

I just might buy FIFA 14 for PS3 but I'm not sure but other than that none really.

I'm waiting for next gen for FIFA. It's one of those I play all year round, stuff I'll likely be done with by the time they're released I'll get for my 360.

Have to admit I learned to love the Xbox desktop (for the want of a better word) and if kinect means a waft of my hand will bring me to the film, a clench selects the movie and different swipe pauses while I go for a slash... I'm all right.

And I've never said Sony are some lights in the corporate world regards drm. Fact is for this machine, based on information so far and for MY consumption of the next gen of gaming consoles they are considerably better when it does come to game ownership, trading and consumer rights.

You can't argue that surely.

Aye I've preordered the ps4. Me and a couple mates all decided we like the look of it more and since its cheaper and we're hardly rich we've gone for it (no point getting a system none of my mates have...)-Plus it's 20 quid towards it already so I'm already paying (plus with it definite ill 100% put the money away for it). People ARE going ott with how 'bad' the Xbox is but you can't fault someone for preordering a system when there will be little between them regardless. Since ill bow down to needing a football game Tom ill probably end up getting Fifa. Will make sure to add you and give you a game!

Never really got into the Zombie-churn games. I suppose it's easier to make them the de-facto bad-guys though. Can't make the baddies Russians, Arabs, or whatever... Also I'd assume the AI for a swarm creature like a zombie is easier to build than the AI for individuals like Soldiers etc.

Yeah I think it's a all firmware. I like watching the 3/D every now and then. Men in black 3/ the hobbit/ the avengers films are cool. 47" TV too so it's pretty effective

So all that DRM, always-on shit?

Microsoft just scrapped it.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Great news and very interesting news. it'll be interesting to see whether the trust of core gamers (ie people who care about a console this far in advance of its launch) can be won back in the time before release.

I'm still a little uneasy knowing where msoft really WANT to go but feel their hands are tied by consumers stopping them going there but I'm back to being a lot more on the fence about which console I'll go for come November or whenever.

Its now back to depending on price (on which the 1 still loses since they aren't changing it) exclusives (which the 1 wins with Halo for me) and what my friends are going for (which is anyones guess at this stage)

Can't remember where I read it the other day that (in the US at least) there seems to be an average of about 16 Xbox ones coming to each gamestop store compared to 60 PS4s. Those first edition Xbox 1s are going to be 'rare'. There are 2 reasons I can think that this might be happening, either msoft are going for a Nintendo style 'low supply to create demand' or they simply aren't making enough of these consoles. Can't imagine the first one being very likely as it just seems like a bad move, they must want these in the hands of as many people as possible as early as possible.