Douala

Scottish Mag

Sporting Lisbon winger Rodolph Douala has confirmed Middlesbrough are trying to sign him.

Boro made their move for the 27-year-old African earlier this week and the player himself has now admitted that talks are ongoing between the two clubs.

The Teessiders are desperate to bolster their squad before the transfer deadline at the end of this month and Douala is now their prime target.

"I know that there has been a meeting between Sporting and Middlesbrough, but I also know that Sporting still counts on me," he told Maisfutebol.

"With me they [Middlesbrough] still have spoken, but know that in these things the clubs first have to come to an understanding."

Douala admits that a move to Boro does appeal, although he stressed it would not be his decision to leave.

"I want to make it clear that I am not asking to leave," he added.

"But yes they [Middlesbrough], are interested in contracting me.

"Sporting is a great club, but the English league is very desirable.

"I am 27-years-old and I have to think what is good for me. I am very well here and feel good, we will have to see what happens when I speak with the club."

Boro are hoping to conclude a quick deal for Douala in order to make sure other clubs, including Premiership rivals Tottenham, Fulham, Manchester City and Birmingham, do not make rival offers and complicate the situation.

Boro boss Steve McClaren confirmed talks are ongoing over a couple of players, with one seemingly being Douala.

"We're working on bringing in two players because we think we need to do that," he said.

"The list of targets has reduced rapidly and we're running out of names and of time.

"But the most important thing is not to panic and to make sure we're patient and eventually something will happen.

"We want to sign the right people and when you want to go where we want to go, the list is not very long.

"We're still in the enquiry stage on quite a few players, but we'll get there

"We've still got nearly a month to go and we're taking our time rather than panicking and thinking we need them in for the first game of the season.

"I'm never confident about specific deals until the players are set sitting here and we've signed them. A lot can happen."