Ferguson to retire at the end of the season - David Moyes replaces him.

Kid Dynamite

I imagine Ferguson would have had a say in this appointment. They're cut from the same cloth - both dour scots -and with Fergie in the background, Moyes is likely to bounce ideas off him. Couldn't see Mourinho taking well to the press asking him what fergie thought of his tactics.

Seems the main reason they've gone for him is his longevity at Everton. They want another manager in for the long term where mourinho would probably have fucked off after a couple of seasons. Moyes is totally untested at this level though - got to wonder if he can handle the pressure, or if the Man U fans will stay off his back if he employs similar negative tactics to how he's worked with Everton.

They've ignored such things as experience and trophy winning and just focused on the accent.

You have to look at the context. Everton are a small club in modern football to get them top 10 nine times is a major achievement, to have a good side at that club is a major achievement. He'll have no problems.

Moyes has been managing a football club up till now.... hes got to go from that to managing a "global branding recepticle" whose shares are worth (all this is according to 5live's "wake up to money" programme this morning) in the region of £2 billion, with £54 million having been wiped off its value since baconface uttered "thats all folks" this time yesterday.

Thats his biggest problem iyam, if hes shite he will get less time as its such a big concern now it will be a case of "results or get tae fuck". Ferguson got 4 years to win a trophy for a football club...it would appear that Moyes will be measured very differently.....

They'll be the same as Chelsea, Man City, Madrid and Barca now. One trophyless season and they'll replace the manager. There isn't a manager on the planet that would have the good will Fergie built for himself at that club. Moyes might win a trophy or two...but it won't last.

You have to look at the context. Everton are a small club in modern football to get them top 10 nine times is a major achievement, to have a good side at that club is a major achievement. He'll have no problems.

Allardyce got Bolton finishing in the top 8 for 4 consecutive seasons but couldn't cut it with us and most likely couldn't cut it with a top club.

It'll be him that has to adapt rather than the players and that'll be the real test for him.

It's refreshing though to see a club the size of Man U appointing a British manager who has paid his dues at a smaller club rather than going for the usual European candidates.

Not often I feel a tiny bit sorry for scousers but SSN have just said that Mark Hughes has said he'd be interested in going to Everton.

Fucking Hell :lol:

As much as Man United might have been enjoying a long Holiday with Ferguson I hadn't processed the fact Everton have had a spell in the sun with Moyes. :lol:

Anyone employing Mark Hughes must be insane*

*Que Twitter...He's better than Pardew man!!11

They'll be the same as Chelsea, Man City, Madrid and Barca now. One trophyless season and they'll replace the manager. There isn't a manager on the planet that would have the good will Fergie built for himself at that club. Moyes might win a trophy or two...but it won't last.

This is spot on. When Fergie was initially given time it was during a period where they'd had a couple of second place finishes in between several seasons outside the top ten and no league titles since the sixties. There wasn't the expectation for a manager to take them to a league title immediately (when I first started getting in to football in the mid eighties they weren't considered as big a team as Liverpool, Everton, Spurs or Arsenal. Hell I even remember West Ham looking more like contenders than them).

Now they expect second as a minimum along with a trophy and Champions League semis. They need them to keep their share price up. If they went years without a trophy they would still keep the vast majority of their fan base but the money men would be going mental so they would be forced to act a lot sooner.

I rate Moyes but the size of this step up makes it likely he's going to need time to grow into the role and I really don't think they have a team that's good enough to carry a manager (the manger has carried the team for a few years now for my money) until he does that.

i suppose some people will look at the share price to see if the value is in ferguson the man, or man u the brand, but it won't be a massive concern for at least a season or two. and even then the share price isn't that much of a concern as the bulk of the value is owned by the glazers. obviously they want the sustained success they've seen to continue, which is why they've kept ferguson on as a director. they're not football men - they'll be the first to admit they don't understand the fine nuances of the game so they're keeping him on to help guide the club. and ferguson is sure to have approved the appointment of moyes.

fergie will probably be relieved he's been spared the embarrassment of the share price going up! that's the worst thing that can happen to a ceo after resigning, which is in effect what he is. dropping around 4% is about right anyway. they've been on quite a good run so it's not that big a deal.

and while there might be a certain premium on the share price with fergie leaving, so much of the structure and stability at man u is in the huge amounts of sponsorship money they're now bringing in...