Where do we go from here then?

Anorthernsoul

After doing very well last season with little expectation, we've under performed and scraped survival this season when we expected so much more. So it begs the question, what do we aim for next year?

I'd like to see at least a couple of strikers signed in the summer and we need to strengthen in the centre of defence. We've got to be aiming to break into the European places next season, I reckon Ashley will stick with Pardew again aswell.

I obviously don't watch as much NUFC as you, but it seems to me you have some excellent players, some of the best in the league in fact, but not a whole lot of cohesion.

I reckon if you get a decent start, and confidence builds, there's no reason you shouldn't be challenging for the European spots. Obviously need to hold on to your better players though.

Who knows... seriously. Why don't we try and win a domestic cup, they seem to be giving them away.

I'm a bit switched off the league to be honest - if even Liverpool are being squeezed out of European spots with the team they've got, what chance do we stand of competing there. I mean, we should be at the top of the chasing pack, but... the way I see it the league is split like this:

Tier 1 - Man Utd and Man City

Tier 2 - Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs

Tier 3 - Liverpool and Everton

Tier 4 - Everyone else save the bottom 3

Tier 5 - Relegation

We're in Tier 4 and I frankly don't see how we can get into even Tier 3 let alone 2. We'd require heavy investment to achieve Tier 3 status, and it would rely on the current Tier 3 teams not doing anything. Everton, yeah maybe they'll sink down and Tier 3 will be merged with Tier 2 - but I still don't see how we'd fit in there.

I guess we'll aim to win Tier 4.

I wouldnt be so confident Everton will be in tier 3 if they dont appoint a good manager.

Yep, I put that caveat in there - I suspect you're right and it'll become Tier 2 containing the original 3 plus Liverpool; and Everton fighting it out with us and Swansea (?) for top of the new Tier 3.

I appreciate that I may now have massively overcomplicated this.

I'm also going to re-brand Tier 1 as the Premier Tier.

Edited by Rayvin

I'd aim for top half, I'd expect 12th, I'd be disappointed but not surprised at 14th, I'd be gutted at anything lower.

Tier today, gone tomorrow.

I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the

most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even

if you're not mad.

Between them this season there were 137 appearances for....

Gosling (9)

Bigirimana (25)

Shola(35)

Obertan (23)

Sammy (14)

Ranger (4)

Ferguson (14)

Tavernier (8)

Players either past it, not there yet or never gonna be there.

We'll go nowhere as long as this level of player are our second string.

Between them this season there were 137 appearances for....

Gosling (9)

Bigirimana (25)

Shola(35)

Obertan (23)

Sammy (14)

Ranger (4)

Ferguson (14)

Tavernier (8)

Players either past it, not there yet or never gonna be there.

We'll go nowhere as long as this level of player are our second string.

If Martin Jol had that quality of player, he'd have got Fulham top half this year.

You can add a few more to the list of players who are not good enough to sustain the club in the top 7 or 8.

I'd like to add a couple of pacey players, with end product, to our midfield/forward line (depending on how we'll line up). Would make our attacking play more dynamic and give us distinct options to counter-attack when we win the ball.

Remember when we had Dyer, Solano, Robert and Bellamy? :spinwank:

Edited by hostile_statue

I'd like to see Cabaye at the base of a midfield diamond with Tiote and Sissoko either side of him, Ben Arfa at the top with Cisse and another striker playing a front 2.

Or with Cisse up top by himself, Ben Arfa behind him and a 3 of Tiote, Sissoko and another midfielder. I like the look of Snodgrass at Norwich.

I'd play rush goalie too.