Happy Face's Numbers

Happy Face

2444n52.jpg

We shoot from inside 6 yards only one third as much as we did 2 years ago.

Even though we take more shots, we fashioned 61 shots within the 6 yard box then, compared to 21 now.

33c2q7d.jpg

xly23k.jpg

231b3n.jpg
*Premier League only

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stats.

The interceptions figure is interesting. I wonder how much this has to do with Tiote and Cabaye's absences and injuries, meaning we're just not harassing teams like we used to.

The shots within the 6 yard box isn't one that surprises me - one of our main tactics in 2010/11 was to launch it to Carroll for a knock down. This, combined with how shocking our set pieces and corners have been, is going to make that stat particularly poor.

Good stats.

The interceptions figure is interesting. I wonder how much this has to do with Tiote and Cabaye's absences and injuries, meaning we're just not harassing teams like we used to.

The shots within the 6 yard box isn't one that surprises me - one of our main tactics in 2010/11 was to launch it to Carroll for a knock down. This, combined with how shocking our set pieces and corners have been, is going to make that stat particularly poor.

Aye, you're right. Prompted me to look at some others and what you say is backed up by the fact that West Ham now take more shots from within 6 yards than any other team (11%)

We take more of our shots from inside the box (18 or 6 yard) than Spurs do.

So, not as damning a fact as I figured.

I think the set piece goals is very telling too.

10/11 - 20

11/12 - 8

12/13 - 6

Shows you how much we must practise them since Hughton left. More than chance that.

I'd put it down to people being a bit more emotional towards the club than others. At least they're not just some part-time posters who have just come back again after everything has turned out OK to try and wind people up.

I've not agreed with much that you've said in the various threads but at least you have been present battling in your corner and at least arguing your case, not just turning up to belittle people.

:lol: :lol:

I just loved this reaction to HF in the thread on NO. First thread i've read on there in a while and not one person in the thread who wants Pardew out can even engage as a normal person with any of the posts. Fucking unreal that place.

10/11 - 20

11/12 - 8

12/13 - 6

Shows you how much we must practise them since Hughton left. More than chance that.

we had nolan and half a season of carroll attacking set pieces then too. much better targets than we have now.

plus barton on deliveries. he could whip them in nice and flat. there've been far too many hopefully floated dead balls in this season.

I just loved this reaction to HF in the thread on NO. First thread i've read on there in a while and not one person in the thread who wants Pardew out can even engage as a normal person with any of the posts. Fucking unreal that place.

:D

Missed that

Aye it's ridiculous. And the defence seems to be "Our only crime is that WE CARE TOO MUCH."

"I've never felt so low about this club that I love than I do now. When I woke up this morning everything was ok for like 3 seconds, then I remembered that Pardew was still here." etc. Get out in the fucking sunshine you arsehole.

What was the impact of losing Ba on our season? Can't get the exact shots taken, but can do a pro-rata split. Imperfect, but best i can do....

Up to 01/01/2013

Played 20

Goals scored 26

Pro rata shots = 526/37 * 20 = 284.3

Conversion rate with Ba = 26/284.3 = 9.14%

Since 01/01/2013

Played 17

Goals 19

Pro rata shots = 526/37 * 17 = 241.7

Conversion Rate without Ba = 19/241.7 = 7.86%

Edited because he didn't play Everton before we sold him either.

Aye it's ridiculous. And the defence seems to be "Our only crime is that WE CARE TOO MUCH."

"I've never felt so low about this club that I love than I do now. When I woke up this morning everything was ok for like 3 seconds, then I remembered that Pardew was still here." etc. Get out in the fucking sunshine you arsehole.

Is that a real quote? :lol:

That's like something from Ready to go!

The two telling stats are the set pieces and interceptions for me. Last season I said we played like Barca without the ball (obviously not with). We were all over teams and this season has been the complete opposite. Part of it will be to do with Tiote and Cabayes absences and loss of form but personally I don't think we look anywhere near as fit. I remember against Spurs at home last year we ran them into the ground at the end of the game. If it had been a cup game with extra time we would have comfortably won imo. We look dead on our feet this term. How much Europe has played a part in that I don't know.

With regards to the set pieces, I think it's daft to dismiss the impact Caroll, Nolan and Barton played in us being so much better a couple of seasons ago. But equally I do think it is to do with our set piece strategy also. It's failled spectacularly and needs addressing in the summer. I'd like to see how we compare to other teams in that area.

Hughton's sides were set up to win games on the back of set pieces. This would seem to be the case from the lack of open play goals in 2010/11. I reckon we're a much better side in open play than we were with Hughton, but a lot of that is down to Cabaye being more mobile than Nolan, Ben Arfa being more mobile than Barton.

If we can sign a big centre back who can dominate in the box, he might come in handy for the set pieces. Hughton's set piece successes were based on winning the initial header more than anything else. We struggle to even do that with our set pieces.

I've tried to remove the problem inherent with a conversion rate based on a pro-rata split of shots taken.

Instead, I've just worked out the basic numbers of goals with Ba (26/20) and without (19/17) and put it in a graph against the goals per game for all the teams in the league, to show the teams we were outscoring with Ba, and those outscoring us without him.

5f3pz4.jpg#

Basically, only the top 7 had a better strike rate until Ba went the journey.

Hughton's sides were set up to win games on the back of set pieces. This would seem to be the case from the lack of open play goals in 2010/11. I reckon we're a much better side in open play than we were with Hughton, but a lot of that is down to Cabaye being more mobile than Nolan, Ben Arfa being more mobile than Barton.

If we can sign a big centre back who can dominate in the box, he might come in handy for the set pieces. Hughton's set piece successes were based on winning the initial header more than anything else. We struggle to even do that with our set pieces.

Aye, I think that's fair. Hughton went that way beacause of the players he had.

Or a huge centre forward ;)

I was speaking to a lad at the pub on Sunday who reckoned Everton are the most fouled team in the league. His opinion was that they constantly go down and try to win free kicks.

When I think about it, I remember getting particularly wound up at them going down easily in the home defeat just after Christmas. I wonder if we'll see Man Utd follow the same pattern with Moyes at the helm.

10/11 - 20

11/12 - 8

12/13 - 6

Float to Williams at the back post is the standard one. :lol: Never works.