Leaving Early

The Fish

I can't imagine leaving a Newcastle game early, because I only get to 7 or 8 a season so it's always a bit deal. I like to be in the ground early, and I'm never in a real hurry to leave, I like to savour it.

The only time I've ever left a game early was an Aberdeen game, where with 2 minutes to go, them being 3-1 down, and having just witnessed a player miscontrol it into touch with no-one around him, I decided I couln't deal with the incomptence any more and went home. It finished 3-3 :icon_lol:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i must confess i'll nick off early if the game isn't in the balance. in other words, if we're getting stuffed 4-0, why not nick off 5 minutes early to get ahead of the crowds?

i'd never leave though if the score was level or there was the odd goal in it. only takes a second to score a goal and i'd feel too much of a tit to leave while a game can still be won. it'd be typical of my match going luck too to miss a deciding goal in injury time.

EDIT - i called it perfectly fulham away last season. left with two or three minutes to go with the score at 4-2 to them then heard the fulham fans erupt in celebration as another one went in on my walk to the tube. craven cottage is a good day out but it's not been a happy hunting ground in terms of results in recent years.

Edited by Dr Gloom

It's a personal thing I think, but I cannot understand anyone leaving early EVER , it defeats the purpose of being a "supporter". You're not supporting if you only sing when you're winning etc.

The caveat being parents with nippers, I can understand why I'd want to just get them to the car and home rather than have them in that mass channel we have down to the town .

The caveat being parents with nippers, I can understand why I'd want to just get them to the car and home rather than have them in that mass channel we have down to the town .

And the infirm, for whom a crowd based exit would be very risky (and they can't just hang about until the crowds clear for fear of pissing themselves)

People who have a go at others for leaving a football match early should get a grip ffs. It's called freedom of choice. Also it's a football match we are all spectators and consumers now the fans have been driven out of football as we were just a nuisance. If you want to imprint your views on others fucking vote BNP then you might get the chance

People who have a go at others for leaving a football match early should get a grip ffs. It's called freedom of choice. Also it's a football match we are all spectators and consumers now the fans have been driven out of football as we were just a nuisance. If you want to imprint your views on others fucking vote BNP then you might get the chance

Left early recently? muhahahaa.

Last two times I remember leaving early was Christmas before last when we were 4 down or something to Liverpool at half time. Our lass had had enough and suggested finishing off the Xmas shopping was a better idea. I didn't protest.

Also the recent Derby. We'd already had one flare rain down and the daughter was quite scared. Left with about 5 to go.

I've never left early on my own, (although I did leave when I took my 7 year old for her first match). Unless you had a good reason I can't see the point and if you're getting stuffed it just shows the club up when the camera shows thousands of fans streaming out, besides, a good whopping is character building and makes you appreciate and take great delight in a revenge win.

I've never left early on my own, (although I did leave when I took my 7 year old for her first match). Unless you had a good reason I can't see the point and if you're getting stuffed it just shows the club up when the camera shows thousands of fans streaming out, besides, a good whopping is character building and makes you appreciate and take great delight in a revenge win.

:lol:

I've left early twice, when inter beat us 4-1 with Bellamy sent off iirc, and last home match. But then again, I probably go to a hell of a lot more matches than the OP. That's you I'm talking about Fish btw. You can't say for certain if you'd gave left early cos you weren't subject directly to the shit the matchgoers were.

You're suggesting I've never been there to watch us get pasted, or when we've played utter shit? I definitely have, but I'm not trying to soopafan because I stayed.

I mean, I can understand some people sloping off 15 minutes early when the result is assured (Liverpool spanking us this year for example), but it's those that fuck off early regardless of the score, the performance, the opposition, the weather, the day... I had the same Gallowgate ticket for a few years and there was a bloke who turned up a little late, left his seat early for pie & pint at half time and buggered off well before full time. He's the same fella that would vocally moan on about whoever was the scapegoat at the time and offer such brilliant advice as "Get it Wide! Get it Wide!" regardless of anything and everything.

Goals scored in the final 5 or 10 can alter the result of the average game massively and given it only takes 9 seconds to score, why would anyone leave early when the result is in the balance?

Goals scored in the final 5 or 10 can alter the result of the average game massively and given it only takes 9 seconds to score, why would anyone leave early when the result is in the balance?

'Cause they're a fucking numpty who doesn't understand the game. The bloke who shouts "get it wide" being the case in point.

BigW - I'm one of the people who shouts "get out wide".

I wasn't aware this was a horrid cliche. Could you advise of a new alternative shout please?

I'm a yorkshire man - so shouting Shooooooooot in my accent doesn't quite work.

I can remember wanting to leave when Villa came to town and Taylor, Bowyer and Dyer got sent off. Probably the most embarrassed I've been at the ground and while I did want to leave I didn't want to give the Villa fans the satisfaction.

BigW - I'm one of the people who shouts "get out wide".

I wasn't aware this was a horrid cliche. Could you advise of a new alternative shout please?

I'm a yorkshire man - so shouting Shooooooooot in my accent doesn't quite work.

It's fine shouting "Get it wide" if that would actually be a good idea, it's when the wide man is Wayne Quinn up against Gary Neville and the lad in the centre is LuaLua...

I don't get the leaving early when the games in the balance at all (although I fully admit that I rarely get in for kick off these days).

Even if we're playing utter shite but a goal would change the game I'd stay as scoring would be brilliant. If we'd scored in the last few minutes against Liverpool I wouldn't have jumped up and celebrated as I would have felt a complete tit celebrating getting beat 6 - 1 and there wasn't a fucking chance of us getting anwhere near level with them in ten minutes.

I must confess I hate these twats who get a right strop on if you have to get passed to go to the bog during the game.

Rarely do I do it but but season starters and enders are days to be enjoyed and copious amounts of pre match alcohol inevitably have me making this journey.

I'm pretty sure you leave early every halftime though CT. A pie man like you can't leave his half time refreshments to chance. ;)

I used to be quite militant about leaving early and think people that did it were total knobs. Then I realised that it's none of my fucking business and it's entirely up to them when they decide they've seen enough.

If you step back from it, it's absolutely ludicrous to allow something like that to annoy you.

I had the same Gallowgate ticket for a few years and there was a bloke who turned up a little late, left his seat early for pie & pint at half time and buggered off well before full time. He's the same fella that would vocally moan on about whoever was the scapegoat at the time and offer such brilliant advice as "Get it Wide! Get it Wide!" regardless of anything and everything.

didn't realise you sat next to CT

I'm pretty sure you leave early every halftime though CT. A pie man like you can't leave his half time refreshments to chance. ;)

I used to be quite militant about leaving early and think people that did it were total knobs. Then I realised that it's none of my fucking business and it's entirely up to them when they decide they've seen enough.

If you step back from it, it's absolutely ludicrous to allow something like that to annoy you.

Yet when you ask those that admit to leaving early, it's never "I've seen enough", they're always leaving early to "beat the rush" or whatever. St James' Park can empty in 7 minutes. I don't believe that 7 minutes makes sufficient difference to your travel time. If you're 0-6 down, then fine, slope off early if you must, but at 1-1? I just don't understand a football fan doing that (which is probably the issue, too many football spectators, not enough football supporters).

"which is probably the issue, too many football spectators, not enough football supporters" - yup I also think this - the sunderland clear out was just embarrassing and not the conduct of "the most loyal fans in the country" , but yeah, each to his own I suppose.

A true St James pie scholar knows fine well that a pie bought pre kick off and pocketed is at perfect eating temperature at half time :)

Never understood the 5 minutes crew - even if a game is dead anything can happen and if you're that desperate to get a pint quicker or get home even half an hour "earlier" then it's pretty sad.

There are exception though - I've left games early 3 times - Cardiff in 83 which was a Wednesday night and the last train left before the end of the game (just saw Beardsley's first goal then fucked off), Liverpool when Owen scored his hat-trick goal and just couldn't face it anymore and Southampton when it was 2-0 at half time and Bennet had just sent Steve Howey off and given a ludicrous pen so I'd had enough (it actually finished 2-1 but never mind).