Invest in Africa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people have a go at Wonga however we got a good deal. We got St James Park back and they are investing money in to our Academy as well. It was much more money than the Virgin deal. I would personally love the Newcastle Brown Ale logo however business is business.

The negative comes from the way they do business however they clearly explain their rates of interest and fees on thier website. People who use them know exactly what they are going to pay and what the service is about. Surprisingly Wonga can actually be more affordable to use than an unauthorised bank over draft.

A lot of people have a go at Wonga however we got a good deal. We got St James Park back and they are investing money in to our Academy as well. It was much more money than the Virgin deal. I would personally love the Newcastle Brown Ale logo however business is business.

The negative comes from the way they do business however they clearly explain their rates of interest and fees on thier website. People who use them know exactly what they are going to pay and what the service is about. Surprisingly Wonga can actually be more affordable to use than an unauthorised bank over draft.

Don't believe the hype. The people signing the dotted lines aren't aware just how much risk they're incurring. It's acts of desperation and ignorance that has people shouldering debts they can't service, then seeking bankruptcy as a means of escaping that debt.

Wonga are scumbags, don't kid yourself. However, as I've said before, there aren't many (is any) companies who'd sponsor a football club, that aren't scumbags in some way or other.

It was a face saving way from Mike and Dekka of dropping the 'Sportsdirect Arena' shite which they were ridiculed for by everyone in the media, (our anger meant Jackshit), it was also a way to ingratiate an unpopular sponsor with the fans as them being our 'saviours' in giving us the name back. Just like the supposed deal where 'Wonga' have personally took on a crusade to give us the Gallowgate End back by removing the Sports Direct sign off the top of the stand. :lol: What if the roof just needed renewing with paint and they were quoted, (as an example), £30,000 to re-paint the roof grey then re-paint the Sports Direct sign or just £20,000 to paint it grey and not bother with the Sports Direct bit? They could just save a few quid and the sponsors get another easy win for their wonga.

Its clear but it is very expensive. It costs £530 to borrow £400. I don't think the apr is that helpful but its over 30% of the initial total borrowed. I think that's too much but the problem is for their model, much lower and then everyone wants to borrow and lots of people don't repay.

I think legislation could be introduced to limit the number of times people use the service and when people have used service e.g. 10 times they get the right to an interest free loan but which then precludes them from using the service again for 12 months. There are plenty of things which could be introduced to protect the vulnerable.

Regardless of what anyone says it just doesn't sit well with me. We are now promoting wonga to a global audience, the people who use pay day lenders aren't idiots like some would have you believe. Some are just families struggling to make ends meat who are living for the day and trying to deal with the consequences later, through desperation. I would go as far to say our association with them disgusts me more than anything else ashley has done to date. Too many people are being taken in by the sweetener of the sjp name chance etc.

I work with a bloke who had £60k worth of debt. He declared himself bankrupt and laughs about how he got new cars, holidays and all sorts out of it. The horrible cunt.

I work with another bloke who earns £40k pa and lives in a council house

Bottom line is pay day lenders encourage desperate people to lend beyond their means, with slack lending criteria. Its bad practise and we would have done well not to associate with the like.

I work with a bloke who had £60k worth of debt. He declared himself bankrupt and laughs about how he got new cars, holidays and all sorts out of it. The horrible cunt.

Yeah I know someone who readily chalked-up £20k or so, always with the intent of cutting it free with the declaration of bankrupcy . The credit was too easy to come by considering his circumstances too .

Obviously has a few drawbacks to subsequently cope with but the fucker's happy as larry and knew what he was doing all along .

The Wonga website looks to be uncomplicated.Someone has to have the highest interest rates,and if it's Wonga,then so be it.Wonga want to lend you money and so do banks.Wonga make it easier,and if i wanted a quick loan,Wonga are an option.

I think mentioning the name Wonga a few more times would have helped to drive the point home.

You have to be pretty fucking simple not to understand it like,

I think thats the problem mate, the business model targets people who can't budget to have 20 quid at the end of the week after the beers and fags - who are simple.

Or worse even it preys on really desperate people who just need to make ends meets to feed themselves and their families.

I seriously know a family where I live in the South East , where Mum eats 2 meals a week because she's so skint with the kids.

2000% APR+ needs banning and the lending industry regulated - but ho hum - as the years go by more and more of the "football heritage" is dying in the name of cash.

well the first and the latter is because it's online, it's no different to logging in to your online bank and applying for an instant loan or massive overdraft as far as "checks" go.

but aye the underage bit is criminal, literally

Did you add the literally in because you think we are all to thick to understand it's illegal to enter into a loan agreement with anyone under 18?

In the cases where children may have taken out loans and are unable to meet repayments, what's the general course of action these lenders can/do take to recoup their money ?

Is it written-off due to legality ? Does it get deferred to a guardian ? Do they stall until the loanee's of an age to persue it ?

Assumedly the longer the debt is outstanding it's to the benefit of the lender in terms of interest owed to them .

As much as it's 'just a way of the world' surely it's integral to their overall strategy . Subjective if that's a moral or a regulation issue I guess . . Dunno where I'm going with this paragraph actually :lol: . . so erm . . yeah

Edited by LoveTheBobby