Adjusting to the late shift

Andrew

So, I've managed at last to get a new job and ill be working late shifts

Half 4 til midnight and ive got about an hours drive either side of that as well.

Anyone got anything helpful to add for sleep patterns and what have you.

I sort of imagine going to bed when I get home around 1ish in the morning then ill be up during the day.

I'd give yourself at least an hour to unwind at home before going bed, but would also advocate trying to maintain an early start as the problem with those shifts is that you can end up feeling like there's no Andrew time at all during the week.

You have two priorities when working odd shifts.

1)get the required amount of sleep

2) keep a "normal" sleep pattern as possible, or make it as easy as possible to return to a normal pattern for when you're off.

Obviously achieving these are in conflict at times and you just have to do your best. (particularly doing nights). I'd avoid staying up later than you have to for the sake of it.

Try not to worry too much about it, you just have to get on with it. 1 or even 2am bedtime isn't that incongruous with normality. 10am is.

Did similar hours for two or three winters as a ski bum, as already mentioned above maintain an early start and get exercise, your body will adjust to the new schedule in a couple of weeks.

You have two priorities when working odd shifts.

1)get the required amount of sleep

2) keep a "normal" sleep pattern as possible, or make it as easy as possible to return to a normal pattern for when you're off.

Obviously achieving these are in conflict at times and you just have to do your best. (particularly doing nights). I'd avoid staying up later than you have to for the sake of it.

Try not to worry too much about it, you just have to get on with it. 1 or even 2am bedtime isn't that incongruous with normality. 10am is.

Agree 100% with this.

I would advocate getting a routine as well; it makes a big difference. For example: I get home about 07:30, grab a quick shower and brush my teeth climb into bed and I'm asleep soon after. There are guys I work with who will sit and watch a tv episode on Sky+ or something. They're the ones who then complain that they never get any decent rest. I'll get between 5 and 8 hours sleep, but it's good sleep.

Also as Luke says, 1-2 am isn't that late to go to sleep, so I doubt it'll be an issue, but if you do struggle, I found Valerian root knocks me out (especially if I'm flipping between day and night shifts).

Speaking of which, there've been a few weeks (or in a seven day spell) where I've finished 3 night shifts at 7am on a Wednesday only to then work 2 day shifts starting on the Thursday from 7, then back on nights for Sat- Sun. That's an 84hr week. That's an absolute bastard and I end up getting headaches, and I'm utterly useless by the end of the run. Mind there's the other side of that coin, like this month I've worked 10 shifts from a possible 30 and when I get home in about 3 hours I'll not be back in the office until June 10th.

Half 4 til midnight and ive got about an hours drive either side of that as well.

I sort of imagine going to bed when I get home around 1ish in the morning then ill be up during the day.

Agree with that. Not really sure it counts as a "late" shift.

I worked the same shifts in a pub while attending university through the day. Shouldn't really turn you into Alan Robson.

I used to work evening shifts back in the day. I'd advise against getting baked and watching mindless crap on tv until the early hours. Better to just spend an hour or so unwinding and making sure you get enough kip so you can enjoy your day before work starts.

"hello Alan, Im a first time caller and Im a little bit nervous"

I once rang up Night Owls off me box on a load of pills and told the following joke:

Me - 'What did the bra say to the hat?'

Alan - 'careful now caller'

Me - 'you go on ahead and I'll give these two a lift'

All - guffaws

I then proceeded to give shout outs to everyone I knew by name 'and anyone else who knows us'. I was high as a kite.

Edited by ChezGiven

I once rang up Night Owls off me box on a load of pills and told the following joke:

Me - 'you go on ahead and I'll give these two a life'

All - guffaws

I then proceeded to give shout outs to everyone I knew by name 'and anyone else who knows us'. I was high as a kite.

:lol: Superb.

All - guffaws

:lol:

Did he 'whip out his whatsit'?

:lol:

Did he 'whip out his whatsit'?

:lol: Unfortunately not. After i put the phone down he goes 'there's Adam and his pals in a car ... somewhere ... on their way to ... somewhere' I honestly thought i was going to need oxygen i was laughing so much.

Good old FLASHING BLADE :lol:

In schooldays load of us went to King Eddies Bay one sunny day. Coming away The Flashing Blade himself was parked up and sitting in his car in the carpark that used to be opposite Gibralter Rock .

We're looking n laughing at this car as it was emblasoned with vinyl stickers announcing the occupant and what he did for a living as well as advising us who his employer was . It was a metallic burgundy Nissan fucking Cherry .

He gets onto us looking over and can only assume read our laughter as excitement as he opened the sunroof and extended his arm to give his adoring fans a wave . Further laughter .

Knew someone who once rang in with "Alan Ive got a joke for ya , whats red and invisible ? I dunno whats red and inv . . no tomatoes . . *click brrrrrrrrrr*"

My mate had use of his works van when I was about 18 and three of us would sometimes go for a drive about for something to do and obviously have the radio on. Ten O'Clock and his show and voice coming on the radio was a 'fuck it, lets call it a day' moment as we just couldn't stand the twat. We decided he was ginger without ever seeing him. We were right.

Anyway, one of these nights on our little mystery tours in the van we were driving near Walker Graveyard on Scrogg Road when my pal pulls over and asks this old dear where 'Deep Throat Avenue was?' as we were pissing ourselves laughing. "Eee, not sure hinny, it rings a bell" she replied as me and my other pal were laughing into our sleeves. She then said, "Eeee, there's our Malcolm, he might know. MALCOLM! MALCOLM! C'mere, son!". She called him Malcolm but in actual fact he was King fucking Kong and you could have rested a breakfast tray on his brow above the eyes. I wonder what his face was like when his Mam asked him where 'deep throat avenue' was as he watched a van screeching away to safety in the distance.

That's a pretty crap shift but it's hardly a killer in the sleep stakes, just have an hour to yourself if that when you get in and make the most of your day before work. (Obviously the closer you get to 'making a move' to go to work the more pissed off you'll get).

• 6 years later...
On 5/31/2013 at 23:38, ChezGiven said:

All - guffaws

:lol: (still)

Meanwhile, end of an era:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/06/alan-robsons-night-owls-to-end-on-metro-radio-and-tfm/