Gone Fishing in the Off Season

The Fish

Right, I stopped doing the Gone Fishing stuff because I got busy at work and missed a couple but nobody seemed bothered.

I'm happy to start them up again, but only if people want to see them. I'd also appreciate if, on the few occasions I can't do them, somebody would do them for me?

I was thinking about doing an off-season one, but I was thinking about how I did them in the past.

I put the questions to anyone on their board instead of just one respondent.

I tended to ask a few generic questions and some club specific; should I focus more on NUFC, their club, the league in general?

I only asked the questions before the game, should I change it to just after, or should I do a set of questions before and then a follow up?

Would I be better off finding a team-specific blogger?

Cheers for any replies

Gone Fisbing worked a lot better when it didn't have it's own sub-board. I think most of us just naturally gravitate towards the main football board and general chat. The other sections sort of get ignored unless you specifically want to talk about photography, tech help, games etc.

Would people want a club preview done as part of it as well (my thoughts on how the opposition have faired, our current form and the like)? Or just stick to Q&A?

Gone Fisbing worked a lot better when it didn't have it's own sub-board. I think most of us just naturally gravitate towards the main football board and general chat. The other sections sort of get ignored unless you specifically want to talk about photography, tech help, games etc.

Agreed.

Just needs a thread within Football, not another board or even a pinned version.

Love the best intentions approaching a new season. Always good to have lots going on when it all kicks off.

With 12 weeks or so without football I'd love to see a couple of threads a week that focus on the other teams/fans, their thoughts of last season and their expectations for next year.

it would be good to refer back to later in the season when you go fishing again, compare hopes with reality.

Agreed.

Just needs a thread within Football, not another board or even a pinned version.

Love the best intentions approaching a new season. Always good to have lots going on when it all kicks off.

With 12 weeks or so without football I'd love to see a couple of threads a week that focus on the other teams/fans, their thoughts of last season and their expectations for next year.

it would be good to refer back to later in the season when you go fishing again, compare hopes with reality.

12 weeks, 19 teams. Certainly doable, but I think it'd make sense to wait until the month before the season kicks off before asking for season expectations as much of the hopes and dreams will be based upon action (or lack thereof) in the window?

I meant every game should get a thread.

Just speaking for myself. Personally I was completely lost as to where they were and rarely ever saw them.

I assume others had the same problem because they've always been a popular feature...until separated out.

I get your point Ant but its the same here. I can only once remember clicking on the sub form, thought I'll come back later to it and then just didnt. Just had a look at it now and its good fun! :thumbsup:

Would defintely be reading them next season if someone did them.

yes but clearly no one did it before it was a sub forum either which is my point, which makes wherever the thread was located a mute point like.

anyway we'll see how it goes this time :)

I don't understand this view when you said it was a 200 page thread before it went on a sub-forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Right sample generic pre-season questions:

What's a realistic aim for your team this season?

Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this?

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing?

Which of your players do you predict having a big season?

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season?

Which fixtures do you immediately look for?

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least?

What's your most memorable game against NUFC?

Newcastle have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle?

Which Newcastle players would you like to see in your side?

Any other suggestions?

Edited by The Fish

As this is a Newcastle United message board I'd put NUFC related questions in like memories of games v us good and bad?

Done

Also, would people prefer a selection of answers from a group of teams, or one answer from each of the teams?

Also, would people prefer a selection of answers from a group of teams, or one answer from each of the teams?

Maybe do a few teams at a time, based on where they finished (or can expect to)...

Man U and Man City

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs

Everton, WBA, Swansea, West Ham, Fulham

Norwich, Stoke, Southampton, Villa

Mackems and the promoted teams

:D

Maybe do a few teams at a time, based on where they finished (or can expect to)...

Man U and Man City

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs

Everton, WBA, Swansea, West Ham, Fulham

Norwich, Stoke, Southampton, Villa

Mackems and the promoted teams

:D

Not a bad idea that. I'll do Man U and Man city tonight. I might be able to do Liverpool, but I might still be banned :lol:

Well I for one had noticed they had stopped if that makes you feel better. Always good to get views from other club forums, even the bitter and twisted ones.

I like those ones best

• 3 weeks later...

Put these to Man U and Man City, we'll see what we get.

Actually I'll do Arsenal, Tottentham, Chelsea, Liverpool & Everton and try and get a couple of meaty answers from each for the open questions and I'll pin up the consensus for the closed Qs

Speaking of which, could someone sign up to one of the Liverpool sites as I think I'm still IP banned from RAWK :lol:

Edited by The Fish