Gone Fishing in the Off Season

Right, I stopped doing the Gone Fishing stuff because I got busy at work and missed a couple but nobody seemed bothered.

I'm happy to start them up again, but only if people want to see them. I'd also appreciate if, on the few occasions I can't do them, somebody would do them for me?

I was thinking about doing an off-season one, but I was thinking about how I did them in the past.

I put the questions to anyone on their board instead of just one respondent.

I tended to ask a few generic questions and some club specific; should I focus more on NUFC, their club, the league in general?

I only asked the questions before the game, should I change it to just after, or should I do a set of questions before and then a follow up?

Would I be better off finding a team-specific blogger?

Cheers for any replies

i've been redoing the frontend as i fucking detested the current one, it was a rush job.

Aready got the majority sorted tbh, likewise i could run the prediction league again if people wanted.

Intend to put some squad profile pages and the likes on it, along with 2j's videos and such, going try "generate" content from popular Rss feeds and use that to keep the site looking upto date when i'm too busy to maintain it.

Would people want a club preview done as part of it as well (my thoughts on how the opposition have faired, our current form and the like)? Or just stick to Q&A?

Gone Fisbing worked a lot better when it didn't have it's own sub-board. I think most of us just naturally gravitate towards the main football board and general chat. The other sections sort of get ignored unless you specifically want to talk about photography, tech help, games etc.

Agreed.

Just needs a thread within Football, not another board or even a pinned version.

Love the best intentions approaching a new season. Always good to have lots going on when it all kicks off.

With 12 weeks or so without football I'd love to see a couple of threads a week that focus on the other teams/fans, their thoughts of last season and their expectations for next year.

it would be good to refer back to later in the season when you go fishing again, compare hopes with reality.

Agreed.

Just needs a thread within Football, not another board or even a pinned version.

Love the best intentions approaching a new season. Always good to have lots going on when it all kicks off.

With 12 weeks or so without football I'd love to see a couple of threads a week that focus on the other teams/fans, their thoughts of last season and their expectations for next year.

it would be good to refer back to later in the season when you go fishing again, compare hopes with reality.

12 weeks, 19 teams. Certainly doable, but I think it'd make sense to wait until the month before the season kicks off before asking for season expectations as much of the hopes and dreams will be based upon action (or lack thereof) in the window?

Agreed.

See that's where my opinions differ, and it doesn't happen on other forums

you can't have one "gone fishing" thread with 20 posts about different matches in it, that's just insane, both for finding things later or coming across them for the first time if you're a new user and having to either pick to go through 100pages or just bite the bullet and skip to the last page and work back a couple to see what something is about.

I can understand what people say about the subboards but then I also don't see how when it's glowing blue at the top of the page you're spending the majority of your time on that it's "out of sight"

Sadly as i've pointed out before it was a case of people couldn't be fucked, likewise with the prediction league, started well then "meh", soon as fish started asking people for questions or what they wanted asked no one could be fucked replying is basically how it went.

The threads are still there at the top, feel free to have a look even the ones in august had barely 4 replies and that was before there was a subforum for them.

and if you notice everyone who came here to do the same thing from other clubs... all the q&a's had there own thread.

I meant every game should get a thread.

Just speaking for myself. Personally I was completely lost as to where they were and rarely ever saw them.

I assume others had the same problem because they've always been a popular feature...until separated out.

I meant every game should get a thread.

Just speaking for myself. Personally I was completely lost as to where they were and rarely ever saw them.

I assume others had the same problem because they've always been a popular feature...until separated out.

thats my point though, the 200page massive thread was popular, the ones that were separated out never were, like i said the first few hadn't been.

I really don't get the "lost bit" it's a big blue glowing thing at the top of this board, and even if you look underneath the reply box every thread that was tagged with gone fishing is also listed there.

i'm more than happy to see fish do them again like, i just hope he gets the responses this time if he's putting the effort in.

Nothing to vote on i can remove them from the sub forum but there is no way in hell they're not getting there own thread every week, it's bad enough on here as it is with insanely large threads.

Like i said the first month of "gone fishing" it didn't have a sub forum, and as you can see those threads didn't get replies so the point made is mute really, it was moved in there to hopefully draw attention to it.

I really don't get the "can't see it" bit though, unless you're using tapatalk, and that's because it's shite tbh, Tagged posts under the reply box, and it glowing blue as the first thing on this section when you load the page, how I can make something more visible is beyond me.

Fact is like i said, people didn't bother even when fish was asking for help in the "main" thread.

If he does it again this year and it goes the same way, well it's only ourselves to blame is the point i'm making.

http://www.toontasti...s/Gone Fishing/ results speak for themselves like, check the view counts to replies...

I get your point Ant but its the same here. I can only once remember clicking on the sub form, thought I'll come back later to it and then just didnt. Just had a look at it now and its good fun! :thumbsup:

Would defintely be reading them next season if someone did them.

yes but clearly no one did it before it was a sub forum either which is my point, which makes wherever the thread was located a mute point like.

anyway we'll see how it goes this time :)

yes but clearly no one did it before it was a sub forum either which is my point, which makes wherever the thread was located a mute point like.

anyway we'll see how it goes this time :)

I don't understand this view when you said it was a 200 page thread before it went on a sub-forum.

Yeah that was an exaggeration it was 10pages that threads still there. It prob grew a couple in there.

**im on my phone so can't check the actual number but was 200 replies I think.. Which is the. General gone fishing one which ran the entire time he did it.

Feel like it seems like I'm against him doing it here, I'm not I'm all for it , it just can't be one massive thread because that's shite and I hope he actually gets responses this time .

• 2 weeks later...

Right sample generic pre-season questions:

What's a realistic aim for your team this season?

Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this?

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing?

Which of your players do you predict having a big season?

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season?

Which fixtures do you immediately look for?

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least?

What's your most memorable game against NUFC?

Newcastle have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle?

Which Newcastle players would you like to see in your side?

Any other suggestions?

Edited by The Fish

Also, would people prefer a selection of answers from a group of teams, or one answer from each of the teams?

Maybe do a few teams at a time, based on where they finished (or can expect to)...

Man U and Man City

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs

Everton, WBA, Swansea, West Ham, Fulham

Norwich, Stoke, Southampton, Villa

Mackems and the promoted teams

:D