Llambias has gonski

Christmas Tree

Newcastle's Derek Llambias quit after Joe Kinnear pulled the plug on Douglas transfer

The Mirror

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias quit in a row over a player to become the first victim of Joe Kinnear's controversial reign.

The Mirror can reveal Llambias resigned just hours after being forced to pull the plug on signing FC Twente defender Douglas.

Kinnear, appointed as director of football on Tuesday, claimed he had never heard of the Brazilian player.

Now, the Magpies' highly-respected chief scout Graham Carr could be the next to go.

It is believed Carr is considering his future after being told he must report to Kinnear.

Llambias is understood to have spent months lining up a Bosman-style free transfer for 25-year-old centre-half Douglas, who was linked with Newcastle as far back as last summer, and a deal was in place.

But Llambias - called "Llambezee" by Kinnear in one of the radio interviews carried out to mark the former Toon manager's return to St James' Park in a new role - did a sudden U-turn on Tuesday night and was forced to tell Douglas that the deal was off following Kinnear's intervention.

Kinnear - whose appointment has caused astonishment - sounded out former FC Twente boss Steve McClaren, because he was not aware of Douglas.

This even though the player has been at one of Holland's leading clubs for six years, turning out for them in the Champions League against teams such as Inter Milan and Tottenham and as they reached the last eight of the Europa League in 2010-11.

Hours later, Llambias offered his resignation.

It is clear he did not feel he could carry on working under Kinnear.

Llambias was one of manager Alan Pardew's big supporters and backed him when owner Mike Ashley became concerned last season as Newcastle flirted with relegation.

Carr is Newcastle's ace talent spotter and has been responsible for unearthing some of their most successful signings, but Kinnear has insisted he now is in charge of transfers.

Do you still think Ashley's a football genius?

Looks to me like he's bought in the only man worse than Llambias

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how long we've actually been trailing Douglas.

I suspect llamby did a decent job as a buffer between Ashley and the club. Can't see JFK managing that. Which wanker to replace Llambias then?

We've been watching Douglas for 18 months....at least. If Kinnear has come in and put the kaibosh on it, without even seeing the lad, then it's clearly a move to stamp his authority on the club. Not something I'd ever doubt he would do, the way he goes on.

Dread to think which CB he'll bring in at a months notice.

The one thing this club has got right in the last 2 years is our meticulous transfer policy. We all want more investment, but other than that, everyone has been happy with it. This fucker is coming in and dropping a bomb on that.

If Pardew walks, expect Pearce to be offered the job.

Nah, Pearce is vaguely competent and bullish, so he's unlikely to "dance to their tune".

I fear it would be a much worse appointment than Pearce

Poyet?

He's part of the Ex-Spurs club and is mates with Wise etc.

Do you still think Ashley's a football genius?

Looks to me like he's bought in the only man worse than Llambias

First of all as Im now in camp Gemmil I can review proceedings with less personal anxiety and I've retired from getting too argumentative on here about football matters. :)

That said, Ive been up all night with a vicious cold and am currently languishing in the bath so I'll answer your question.

When we finished fifth, qualified for Europe, with an exciting promising team, sound financial stability, a great scouting system and price freezes for fans..... then most onlookers would have said Ashley was doing very well.

A year on it appears to most like utter turmoil.

Let's look at Ashley though. From his perspective he had put fairly sound policies in place and then let the people at the club get on with running it.

The main criticism thrown at him personally was failure to bring more players in in the summer. How much he was personally involved in any negotiations I'm not sure. Did he set strict budgets or were we just trying to be too clever over targets such as Remy and Debuchy?

If you assume he was pretty much letting Llambias, Carr and Pardew run the show then like some of us (maybe naively), he was also very pissed off in the change of fortunes.

Even the big billed players signed in January produced little return and it was a very scary last few months.

So from long distance he has to ponder whether the manager is to blame, the MD or the players brought in are not good enough, the scout.

Sure he could take the very generous, maybe even sensible approach taken by some on here and say it was a perfect storm of horrors.

From his perspective what does he do? No doubt the post season inquest resulted in everyone pointing the finger at each other.

So this leads him to put someone in he trusts, to cut through the shit and bottom out what's really going on and who is to blame. More importantly what to do to put it right.

Where it comes crashing down to most of us is the person he's chosen to play that role.

His interviews and ramblings have not helped his already dubious credentials for the job. However if it somehow cuts through the shit and gets us back on track then great. Time will tell.

The proof will only come when we see how we take to the field in August. IMO it's on a knife edge and will be interesting viewing over the summer months.

We've been watching Douglas for 18 months....at least. If Kinnear has come in and put the kaibosh on it, without even seeing the lad, then it's clearly a move to stamp his authority on the club. Not something I'd ever doubt he would do, the way he goes on.

The one thing this club has got right in the last 2 years is our meticulous transfer policy. We all want more investment, but other than that, everyone has been happy with it. This fucker is coming in and dropping a bomb on that.

It may be interesting to list the recent signings of the last few years and see which ones have really worked out.

Only someone really really desperate would apply to be our manager if the job became vacant which would strengthen JFK's position.As for incoming players,how many will have been impressed with JFK's recent interviews,and his past actions as our manager.What a mess we're in.We don't pay top wages,we don't pay top transfer fees and we have JFK running the show !!!

If I'd been working on a project for that long and some gobshite came in and kiboshed it arbitrarily I'd probably walk too. Fucking Kinnear, what a prize cunt.

You shouldn't wish death on anyone, but I'm coming close to it here. Absolute bastard. The whole thing is a wind up, he is scum, I will cheer if his helicopter falls out of the sky, very loudly.

When we finished fifth, qualified for Europe, with an exciting promising team, sound financial stability, a great scouting system and price freezes for fans..... then most onlookers would have said Ashley was doing very well.

Most? Perhaps on N-O.

Loads of us on here remained unconvinced.

Even the big billed players signed in January produced little return and it was a very scary last few months.

We played 14 games after the window closed and won 17 points.

In the 14 games before the window closed we won 9 points.

The extra depth was a godsend.

Apparently Ashley wasn't happy with Llambias after last summer, especially in the targets we missed out on.

In January missing out on Remy was the last straw, that's when he got involved and we signed 5 players.

We all agree that Kinnear is a knob, but this could potentially be a clever move. It was obvious the players weren't playing for the manager last season, but having this oaf around is gonna put an us against them attitude in the dressing room. Exactly what Chris Hughton had when we got promoted.

Ashley knows exactly how to play us.. all the garbage Kinnear is spouting is part of it too. It's designed to wind all of us up, even the players. Yohan Cababs? I don't believe for a second he doesn't know how to pronounce his name...

From his perspective what does he do? No doubt the post season inquest resulted in everyone pointing the finger at each other.

So this leads him to put someone in he trusts, to cut through the shit and bottom out what's really going on and who is to blame. More importantly what to do to put it right.

Where it comes crashing down to most of us is the person he's chosen to play that role.

The worst bit of your whole post.

Derek Llambias leaving the club was an opportunity to win fans over. Everyone would be delighted to see the back of him at any other time. Anyone with a passing consideration of PR would see the opportunity to manage the announcements. Break the news that he's going with your thanks, but recognise the fractious relationship he had with fans and your hope that a new man can build some bridges. Announce you want a football man in to replace him and people will be even happier. If it then HAD to be Kinnear...let Pardew save face and make the announcement himself...let him tell reporters it was his idea, that Kinnear was a man Ashley new and trusted, but also someone he could work with.

If Ashley has asked Kinnear to go about things like he has then he is a fucking muppet, if he didn't ask him to then he's an even bigger muppet for allowing it to go on as it has.