Stampede in Saudi!

Smooth Operator

At least 345 Muslim pilgrims have been killed in a crush in the stone-throwing ritual during the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, officials say.

Hundreds of people have also been wounded. A BBC correspondent at the scene in Mina saw dozens of bodies lined up on the ground.

The ritual has been marred by deadly stampedes in the past.

After a crush in 2004, the authorities built barriers and deployed thousands of stewards in a bid to improve safety.

Bridge surge

The stampede took place at the foot of the bridge of Jamarat, where pilgrims hurl stones at three pillars representing the spot where the devil is said to have appeared to Abraham.

An interior ministry spokesman, Maj Gen Mansour al-Turki, told the Associated Press news agency that the stampede happened after pieces of luggage spilled from moving buses in front of one of the entrances to the bridge, causing pilgrims to trip.

More than two million people were thought to be performing the rite at the time.

Witness Abdullah Pulig, an Indian street-cleaner, described a scene of carnage.

"I saw people moving and suddenly I heard crying, shouting, wailing. I looked around and people were piling on each other. They started pulling dead people from the crowd," he told the Associated Press news agency.

Ambulances and police cars streamed into the area, as security forces tried to move people away from the scene of the accident.

The pilgrims were returning via Mina after performing the Tawaf al-Wada, a farewell ceremony that involves walking around the Kaaba - a cube-like building in the centre of Mecca's Great Mosque - seven times.

The Tawaf al-Wada is performed after the Hajj has finished.

The stoning is the riskiest ritual of the Hajj, as worshippers jostle to try to target the stones, often causing weaker pilgrims to fall under foot.

In 2004, more than 200 pilgrims were trampled to death while performing the same ceremony.

The latest deadly stampede come days after more than 70 people died when a hostel for pilgrims collapsed in the Saudi city of Mecca.

The Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam and every able-bodied adult Muslim is obliged to perform it at least once in their lives.

Edited by Smooth Operator

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens every year. At least they now through stones at a wall rather than a pillar. 10 people died last year because of wayward throws. probably shouldnt allow lasses to join in with that like :)

78296[/snapback]

sexist pig tbh :)

It happens every year. At least they now through stones at a wall rather than a pillar. 10 people died last year because of wayward throws. probably shouldnt allow lasses to join in with that like :)

78296[/snapback]

Have you ever seen a girl throw something far enough to injure someone, let alone kill? :)

78296[/snapback]

Have you ever seen a girl throw something far enough to injure someone, let alone kill? :)

78310[/snapback]

I was the best spin bowler my school ever had I will let you know.... I could knock a gnats gonad off with one eye shut !!! :)

Well if you die on the Haj its a first class ticket to the front of the queue at the Pearly Gates  IIRC

78322[/snapback]

Or 7 vestal virgins or whatever it is muslims believe in. :)

78324[/snapback]

I read somewhere that Bin Laden had promised the 9/11 hijackers 50 virgins each after their death.....

Could have saved themselves the agro and just gone down to Essex tbh.

I read somewhere that Bin Laden had promised the 9/11 hijackers 50 virgins each after their death.....

78327[/snapback]

If you can find 50 virgins in Essex you are my new Messiah tbh.

78327[/snapback]

78329[/snapback]

There's a comment to follow that, but it's in extremely poor taste.

78327[/snapback]

78329[/snapback]

78331[/snapback]

Didn't contain the name Gary Glitter did it?

78296[/snapback]

78310[/snapback]

I was the best spin bowler my school ever had I will let you know.... I could knock a gnats gonad off with one eye shut !!! :)

78317[/snapback]

Fearsome, I bet the keeper stood back on the boundary when you were bowling then. :)

78327[/snapback]

78329[/snapback]

78331[/snapback]

:)

78296[/snapback]

Have you ever seen a girl throw something far enough to injure someone, let alone kill? :razz:

78310[/snapback]

I was the best spin bowler my school ever had I will let you know.... I could knock a gnats gonad off with one eye shut !!! :rolleyes:

78317[/snapback]

Fearsome, I bet the keeper stood back on the boundary when you were bowling then. :)

78350[/snapback]

he was in the next field tbh.... :):)

Well if you die on the Haj its a first class ticket to the front of the queue at the Pearly Gates  IIRC

78322[/snapback]

Or 7 vestal virgins or whatever it is muslims believe in. :yes

78324[/snapback]

"We skipped the light fandango

turned cartwheels 'cross the floor

I was feeling kinda seasick

but the crowd called out for more"

Kurdish relates to ethnicity rather than faith tbh. Although, not being Kurdish (at a guess) you probably didn't realise.

78550[/snapback]

Yep, should have done his homework. Like the name Patel too. :yes

dont be so ignorant... faith is blind

78554[/snapback]

Indeed - and Islam has a lot to teach other faiths about accepting people of differing cultures and colours