Positive Wonga Article

BigWalrus

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so modern interpretations of both books are unrelated?

I don't think there's a right or wrong here fwiw, some people might just be a little more/less tolerant of people's belief systems

and cissé is no theologian, so I don't buy the in depth discussion of what is or isn't within his set of beliefs

Yeah, tiptoeing around the beliefs of someone who thinks Muhammad flew about on a winged horse then climbed a ladder to meet God, Moses and Jesus.

It's an allegory, like most religious stories. The Night Journey is meant to represent that Islam followed on from Judaism (Moses) and Christianity (Jesus) like climbing the rungs of a ladder.

It's easy to take the piss out of religion nowadays but you have to remember that most of it is common sense and decent morality dressed up in the trappings of mysticism in order to convince early pagan populations who had long believed in similar mystical events/things that it's real.

However, Wonga's predatory lending is morally offensive no matter if you believe in God, Santa, the FSM, or nothing at all. If that's really what Cisse is taking a stand against, then I support him.

It's an allegory, like most religious stories. The Night Journey is meant to represent that Islam followed on from Judaism (Moses) and Christianity (Jesus) like climbing the rungs of a ladder.

It's easy to take the piss out of religion nowadays but you have to remember that most of it is common sense and decent morality dressed up in the trappings of mysticism in order to convince early pagan populations who had long believed in similar mystical events/things that it's real.

However, Wonga's predatory lending is morally offensive no matter if you believe in God, Santa, the FSM, or nothing at all. If that's really what Cisse is taking a stand against, then I support him.

I don't think it is easy to take the piss out of religion. Because the moderate men and women of faith that the majority of us come into contact with aren't the American Evangelists decrying homosexuality as an abomination, or stating without nuance that all abortion is murder, they're not Muslim's who insist on following the Koran and the Hadith to the letter, they aren't the Jews that believe that Jerusalem is there's by the grace of God and that they literally have a divine right to it. They're people who draw strength from their faith, but aren't defined by it.

So despite the fact that imo religion is worthy of ridicule, it's gauche to ridicule men and women of faith.

The hypocrisy of this case is staggering; A man who is paid a frankly offensive amount of money to play a game, that is inexorably linked to practises that his religion holds abhorrent, whose international audience is built mainly of infidels... how can he suddenly find an amount of interest charged offensive to his sensibilities? That it's being discussed by religious scholars shows to me how fucking daft it is. They're yearning for a loophole. How can we disguise this man's greed/ambition? It's bonkers.

The hypocrisy of this case is staggering; A man who is paid a frankly offensive amount of money to play a game, that is inexorably linked to practises that his religion holds abhorrent, whose international audience is built mainly of infidels... how can he suddenly find an amount of interest charged offensive to his sensibilities? That it's being discussed by religious scholars shows to me how fucking daft it is. They're yearning for a loophole. How can we disguise this man's greed/ambition? It's bonkers.

and the TRUTH shall set us FREE.

Fuck religion AND fuck predatory capitalism. And fuck Joe Kinnear whilst we're about it.

I don't find Wonga offensive, because I've not had them trying to force a loan on me. I've had religious people trying to force their religion on me, so find the Abrahamic religions offensive. It's clear though, as people have said, that Cisse and his little spat have little to do with religion, just his own greed wrapped up in bullshit.

What is predatory about it?

That could be any black guy in a wooly hat, it might be my monitor but all I can see is his nose, its poorly lit and hes directly below a light source. Would put this argument to bed if it was though.

Edited by scoobos

All of which doesn't mean he can't have an issue with Wonga. He's a mulsim, not a monk

If that's genuinely him, he's taking the fucking piss. and I've been on his side to this point.