Perch to Wigan for £700k

Kid Dynamite

What possible reason is there for selling him? He's on cheap wages, is a model professional, can play RB, CB, and CM.

Considering we nearly got relegated from having too small a squad we have currently lost Harper, Simpson, Ranger and Perch. Willo and Ameobi rumoured to be off also. Any danger of actually increasing the numbers?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless he wants to move for guaranteed first team football, though I'd say he started his fair share of games last year. He's certainly worth more to us than £700k.

We really should have players of a higher standard than Perch in and around our first team so he shouldn't be a miss at all. He should never play in defence for us as he's pretty horrible there really so should only ever be a back up in midfield (and Bigi has a lot more potential to cover that role than him).

But I agree, our squad is paper thin and relying on unproven youngsters again as cover would be a massive gamble again.

I would also say that selling him for less than we paid for him when he's got himself three years of premiership experience now seems very odd.

All the best to him .

A good pro who didn't let the club down by any lack of effort .

Pardew had wanted to give him a new contract but got knocked back by Big Mike according to Douglas with (apparently correct) suggestions it shows how he's held in contempt by his him and has little say in goings-on .

As has been said, the outgoings are really starting to add up now . There's always going to be a clear out of perceived 'deadwood' in transfer windows but I just hope this bunch also have an accurate handle on who might be keen to jump ship before making whatever moves they might have planned . In the spirit of getting caught short after a shart as it were .

The sale of Ba I would hold up as lesson No. 1.

To paraphrase Brian Hanrahan "I counted them all out but will I count them back in again ?"

Edited by LoveTheBobby

Versatile squad player who filled in well last season.

Stupid to sell him when the squad is ridiculously thin. We're not bringing anyone in like so I'd rather we don't sell players in this window.

Versatile squad player who filled in well last season.

Stupid to sell him when the squad is ridiculously thin. We're not bringing anyone in like so I'd rather we don't sell players in this window.

Agreed, did his job well when called upon. Good luck to him at Wigan.

Perch is under rated. Solid and reliable player. More than competent holding midfielder. Versatile. Happy to player in different positions or fill in on the bench. Devastatingly handsome.

I hope this isn't Kinnear at work. Was under the impression that Pardew had a lot of faith in Perch. Can't see why he'd want to get rid, especially for only £700k.

Kinnear spoke of being glad to work with Perch again before Joe took the position.

*Despite never having worked with him before to my knowledge

Not gutted he's leaving but I must say he won me over big time over the last two seasons.

He should rightfully be given a good reception when he comes back to play us.

All I ask of players is that they give their all while playing for us, regardless of skill or talent. He never disappointed in that regard

Time remaining on the contract the obvious reason for his jettisoning. Came in very handy last season surprisingly. It would be nice to think that he won't be needed this season because of strengthening of the squad...

I'm hoping that this leads to more opportunies for Anita and Bigirimana once Perch goes and Gosling gets bombed out.

His tackling leaves a lot to be desired for and he should have buried a free header from all of 6 yards v Liverpool. Not a huge loss ability wise but his versatility made him a certainty on the bench.

We have plenty players in the middle of the park, which I think is his best position. Fee is quite low but last year of contract and limited ability, would only expect £1m maximum.

I will never forget the game at Spurs, when we lost 2-1 in Feb. If he had bothered to jump with the rest of the wall then he would have blocked Bales shot which flew straight into the goal.

In summary, a very average player who works hard. Thanks for the level of graft you put in and good luck.

With the loss of Harper and the impending loss of Perch (maybe Shola and Gosling), I was looking up the home grown quota rule.

Is it me or has this changed?

I was under the impression that you need a minimum of 8 home grown players in the squad, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8858634.stm

The Premier League now say you can have a maximum of 17 'foreigners', see:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/home-grown-player-rule/

So you can have a 20 man squad with only 3 home grown players. Hardly encouraging local talent..