Divine-Righters demand to be honoured

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Honours snub infuriates Liverpool

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has criticised the omission of the club from the sporting New Year Honours.

Parry labelled the decision "little short of staggering" after Liverpool came from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan in the final of the Champions League.

"The decision to overlook key Liverpool players despite our magnificent achievement was frustrating," Parry told Liverpool's official magazine.

"What do you have to do to be recognised by the powers-that-be?"

The England cricket team's Ashes success resulted in captain Michael Vaughan becoming an OBE while the rest of the side were appointed MBEs, including Paul Collingwood, who only appeared in the final Test.

Parry added: "I don't want to take anything away from the England cricketers and their wonderful Ashes success against Australia.

"But the fact that the inspirational efforts of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher in helping us win the Champions League were effectively dismissed is little short of staggering."

The Liverpool chief executive said this was the second time the club had been snubbed after winning a European trophy.

"Of course, we have been here before," he said.

"The achievements of the legendary Bob Paisley, the most successful English club manager of all time and three-times European Cup winner, were never truly recognised.

"My own bemusement now comes full circle to encompass the failure to recognise the achievements of the Anfield boys of 2005."

Reds manager Rafael Benitez also voiced his surprise at the snub.

He said: "For sure I believe the Liverpool players should have been honoured.

"The most important sport in the world is football. The most important competition in the world for clubs is the Champions League.

"And the most important club is the winners of the Champions League, the winners must be at the top of the honours."

Someone needs to point out to him that to qualify for an MBE, OBE, CBE or KBE, you first have to be British...

Gerrard and Carragher aside, was there anyone else involved who was? :)

The only person I remember getting recognition when Man Utd won it was SAF who got his knighthood but then they had won an unprecedented treble rather than 'lucked' their way to winning the CL! :)

Dry those eyes Rick, dry those eyes man! :)

Someone needs to point out to him that to qualify for an MBE, OBE, CBE or KBE, you first have to be British...

Gerrard and Carragher aside, was there anyone else involved who was? :)

The only person I remember getting recognition when Man Utd won it was SAF who got his knighthood but then they had won an unprecedented treble rather than 'lucked' their way to winning the CL! :)

Dry those eyes Rick, dry those eyes man! :)

78354[/snapback]

Matt Busby was knighted too Craig.......yes I haven't forgot the Munich Air Crash or anything and building the club again, but Bob Paisley got nothing, and Clough, both won it more than Ferguson.

It does smack of manu bias, Parry has a point.

Not that we should be surprised.

The manu biass thing is glaringly obvious.

Fergie and Busby (manu) win it once and get knighted. Paisley, Shankly, Clough and several other managers win it, sometimes more than once but don't manage manu and get fuck all. But why should that surprise anyone in this country!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Did Scholes, Sheringham, Beckham etc get honours then?

Man United bias, of course....

78382[/snapback]

So you don't see anything wrong at all in two manu managers winning it once and get knighted, but the likes of Clough, Shankly, Paisley et al get fuck all for daring to win it with a club that isn't manu.

78382[/snapback]

So you don't see anything wrong at all in two manu managers winning it once and get knighted, but the likes of Clough, Shankly, Paisley et al get fuck all for daring to win it with a club that isn't manu.

78385[/snapback]

Ahh, well you see, I'm referring to the original point that Parry thinks that Carragher and Gerrard should be knighted. Your point about the managers you mention is a good one though.

78382[/snapback]

78385[/snapback]

Ahh, well you see, I'm referring to the original point that Parry thinks that Carragher and Gerrard should be knighted. Your point about the managers you mention is a good one though.

78386[/snapback]

Yes, the manu players as far as i remember never got anything, so he can't really expect the pool players to.

However manu in the form of Fergie were recognised and honoured and Liverpool should get the same, especially as both not only won the CL but did it with amazing comebacks.

I totally agree that Paisley, Clough and Tony Barton for that matter (who always seems to be forgotten) should all be recognised as Busby and Fergie were.

To be fair, Busby wasn't knighted until years afterwards and it was not in direct response to him winning the European Cup. Fergie was but I'm afraid knighthoods appear to have become 10 a penny ever since Blair got involved (how the fuck was Trevor Brooking deserving of one? :))

I'm convinced that if a British man was managing Liverpool, he'd have been knighted. As Gol pointed out, no-one else was honoured in 1999 so to honour Gerrard and Carragher would surely be disrespectful to those Brits in '99 who got nothing?

Liverpool are set to receive belated recognition for their Champions League victory in the Queen's Birthday Honous after missing out in the New Year's list.

Among the players, skipper Steven Gerrard should receive at least an MBE in June while manager Rafael Benitez can expect an honorary OBE - the same award his predecessor Gerard Houllier and Arsenal's Arsene Wenger have received in the past.

It is also possible Jamie Carragher, the other Englishman in the team that beat AC Milan last May, may also be honoured.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said this week he was "staggered" the Reds had been ignored.

However, a source close to the honours process said Liverpool's omission in the New Year's list was more a mistake rather than a deliberate decision.

He told PA Sport: "It was more of a cock-up than a conspiracy but there are two honours lists a year and it is expected that Liverpool will receive due recognition in the next one."

Parry, writing in Liverpool's official magazine, said: "The decision to overlook key Liverpool players from the New Year's Honours list, despite our magnificent achievement in winning the world's most prestigious club tournament, was frustrating to say the least.

"It raises a simple question: just what do you have to do in a football sense to be recognised by the powers that be?"

There is a limit on the number of honours awarded for services to sport and Liverpool may have suffered from the fact that every member of the victorious England cricket Ashes squad were given OBEs or MBEs at New Year.

Parry added: "I don't want to take anything away from the England cricketers and their wonderful Ashes success against Australia, but the fact that the inspirational efforts of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher in helping us win the Champions League were effectively dismissed is little short of staggering."

Jesus wept tbh

Did it occur to Rick Parry that the cricketers were rewarded because they were representing the nation, whilst Liverpool were representing a collection of dole-wallers sporting shocking perms and wearing shellsuits?

Did it occur to Rick Parry that the cricketers were rewarded because they were representing the nation, whilst Liverpool were representing a collection of dole-wallers sporting shocking perms and wearing shellsuits?

78556[/snapback]

One of the thick twats on SSN last night actually said "Liverpool were representing England" - I've never accepted this concept and why people "like to see English teams do well in Europe". Clubs are Clubs imo.

A very, very close relation of mine got an MBE in Jan.

The thing is, I don't know what to do as I have little respect in these things.

I haven't congratulated, or otherwise, the person yet, and as time goes by I might come across as being jealous or summit which couldn't be further from the truth.

Back to the point though, Liverpool want gongs for winning the European Cup? Pathetic.

Cricketers getting gongs for winning the Ashes? Pathetic.

Collingwood did indeed get one, not bad for 17 runs and a catch!

I don't see the problem with the cricketers getting them, the World Cup team of 66 all got honours, and there is no better achievement in cricket than winning the Ashes.

I don't see the problem with the cricketers getting them, the World Cup team of 66 all got honours, and there is no better achievement in cricket than winning the Ashes.

78612[/snapback]

So there's no better achievement in cricket than winning a two horse race. Just about sums the "sport" up. :yes

78612[/snapback]

There is; getting me out is every cricketer's utopia :yes

78612[/snapback]

So there's no better achievement in cricket than winning a two horse race. Just about sums the "sport" up. :yes

78613[/snapback]

So Ali beating Foreman wasn't a great achievement, on the basis it's a 'two horse race'?

78612[/snapback]

78613[/snapback]

So Ali beating Foreman wasn't a great achievement, on the basis it's a 'two horse race'?

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

1) Boxing is not a team game.

2) He had to earn the right to be in that ring.

England vs Oz happens every two years (or whatever), regardless. So once in a blue moon we beat them. Wow.

78612[/snapback]

So there's no better achievement in cricket than winning a two horse race. Just about sums the "sport" up. B)

78613[/snapback]

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

England vs Oz happens every two years (or whatever), regardless. So once in a blue moon we beat them. Wow.

78677[/snapback]

The way I hear it, you've earned the right to be in numerous rings over the years. :yes

78612[/snapback]

78613[/snapback]

Test Cricket is the game played at its highest level. The ICC Test Championship has results used to formulate it that go back several years (when teams were made of different players) it cannot be used to judge the merits of an individual team. There's no better achivement than beating the best team in the world, one of the best teams EVER at cricket. Plus there's the fact we hadn't won it for 19 years I think before last summer.

78612[/snapback]

78613[/snapback]

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

78677[/snapback]

Don't players earn the right to be in the team?