Music your parents forced upon you ...

sammynb

After enjoying the complete :) people got from jonny's advice needed thread and the ELO responses it got me thinking about the absolute shite music my father use to listen to when I was a kid, Bob Seger and the Silver bullet band, Judy Tzuke, all Dolly Parton's big h(t)its. If it was shit and mainstream he seemed to listen to it and in turn forced it upon us.

So what gems stay with you and get you the stares of horror as you sing-a-long with it as it blasts out over the shop you're standing in pa?

Edited by sammynb

Sadly, or perhaps not my parents were not musical beings, not to the extent of myself anyway. They in no way defined themselves or the moment with music. They were and are the type of people who listen to best ofs pretty much exclusively. Not to say they don't like music but it would be fair to describe them as non-musical. Obviously though as a teenager I rejected almost everything my parents had ever listened to with the possible exception of the Beatles, only as the years progressed to re-appropriate many of their favourite artists for myself following a radical re-evaluation period. Not exactly re-appropriating though since although they'd heard a couple of Elton John and Johnny Cash songs they were almost completely in ignorance of the greater body of work involved. Just because your parents may sing along to Candle in the Wind (whatever) it doesn't mean you can't listen to Honky Chateau and enjoy with almost a complete lack of irony. They claimed to be Beatles fans but hadn't heard Dear Prudence, claimed to be stones fans but didn't know Wild Horses. As you can see I've not yet cast off my teenage precociousness.

In answer to you question though, Forever in Blue Jeans by Neil Diamond and Your Song by Elton John. Both great songs I would have rejected to the ends of the earth as a teenager.

The Carpenters.

Fuck me did I get fed up of hearing that shit - got even worse when she starved herself to death - me Mam just bought more albums! :)

I can "tralalalala" along with quite a few random classical tunes... Dad listens to Classic FM and that's about the only music I've had impinged upon me by the parents.

Other than songs that Dad will sing as he wanders throughout the house..... I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...... Two lovely brown eyes..... etc etc. Except he only knows about 2 lines per song, and so, so do I. Oh well.

The Beatles

Rod Stewart

The Jam

Pink Floyd

Earth, Wind & Fire

Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

hours of endless fun on those car journeys!

78426[/snapback]

How the fuck do you mix the Jam in with that lot????

My Mam was a cool 60's chick and saw all the bands of the time so the music she played to me was pretty cool imo; Beatles, Stones, Who, Animals (who she 'hung out with' in the Crown Pasada which we think means 'slept with' but we really don't want to know) Free, etc. My Dad was the master of MOR quality though; ELO, Supertramp, Fairport Convention etc...I own albums by all of them thanks to him! :yes

Edited by sweetleftpeg

The Carpenters.

Fuck me did I get fed up of hearing that shit - got even worse when she starved herself to death - me Mam just bought more albums! :yes

78439[/snapback]

Same here ! and Simon and Garfunkle

The Carpenters.

Fuck me did I get fed up of hearing that shit - got even worse when she starved herself to death - me Mam just bought more albums! :yes

78439[/snapback]

Same here ! and Simon and Garfunkle

78595[/snapback]

Now I don't mind S&G - I used to nab the old fella's albums all the time and he used to get the right arse about it...

Carpenters though man - those fuckers were tragic!

The Beatles

Rod Stewart

The Jam

Pink Floyd

Earth, Wind & Fire

Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

hours of endless fun on those car journeys!

78426[/snapback]

How the fuck do you mix the Jam in with that lot????

78451[/snapback]

me mother absolutely loves The Jam & Weller on his own, god knows how many times she's seen em live