Newcastle United Legends - vs AC Milan Glorie

Tom

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hhhmmm did you go drinking in the village much in the 90's or possibly the stage door?

Nope. I was a Riverside under-ager every weekend in the early 90's but very rarely went to the village. Never been to the stage door.

Oh do fuck off and take pretentious Fish with you, you whinging girls blouse.

I said the atmosphere was crap, it was.

That's not distracting in any way from the money raised for charity (which I contributed to btw).

It's like someone going on safari, calling it crap and being labelled an animal hater.

For the record, it's poisonous little snipes from you and the likes of Fish that tend to lead to this places lowest moments.

I'm sure if Stevie or another regular happen to mention a poor atmosphere your silence will be deafening.

For once CT has a bit of a point for which HF has also picked up on, Joey Barton and a poor announcer who didn't help matters. Joey did help the atmosphere by coming on and making a tackle on Di Canio who took it in the right spirit to be fair, but to hear 'one Joey Barton' when there wasn't a peep uttered for some genuine Legends was a bit strange and just wrong. The subs weren't announced quickly or properly at times and this also didn't help. Noticed a few supporters fucking off instead of paying the bloke the respect to actually listen to him thanking everybody at the end, what was that about??! :jesuswept:

Noticed a few supporters fucking off instead of paying the bloke the respect to actually listen to him thanking everybody at the end, what was that about??! :jesuswept:

I went downstairs after the last penalty because my tenant had been on the phone about the boiler dying and he wanted an engineer out to sort it :bang: so i needed a quiet corner.

Dunno if the others that were leaving at the same time all had boiler trouble too.

Right CT, the point i was making was for you the enjoyment of the match is the atmosphere, this is fair enough. For me the enjoyment of the match was being able to watch some of my old favourites have a kick about for a good cause. Because that football is a side show to you i can understand why you pointed out your disappointment with last night as a spectacle since many factors accumulated to create a null atmosphete. I enjoyed it even having been to shearers testimonial, wouldn't think twice about going to another. You have stated that you wouldn't go to another which is your opinion and i shouldn't have a pop at you for feeling that way inclined, so for that i apologise. I was initially suprised that someone could act disappointed with what they had seen given the circumstances.

For once CT has a bit of a point for which HF has also picked up on, Joey Barton and a poor announcer who didn't help matters. Joey did help the atmosphere by coming on and making a tackle on Di Canio who took it in the right spirit to be fair, but to hear 'one Joey Barton' when there wasn't a peep uttered for some genuine Legends was a bit strange and just wrong. The subs weren't announced quickly or properly at times and this also didn't help. Noticed a few supporters fucking off instead of paying the bloke the respect to actually listen to him thanking everybody at the end, what was that about??! :jesuswept:

I agree with that. Said last night that it was a disgrace that Barton and Nolan (not that I have anything against either of them as ex players) got a better reception than the likes of Bobby Lee, Bez and Sir Les. It's either a sad indictment of the memory of some of our fans or an intentional pop at the current regieme which really should have been kept out of this great occasion. The announcer was just shite!

Right CT, the point i was making was for you the enjoyment of the match is the atmosphere, this is fair enough. For me the enjoyment of the match was being able to watch some of my old favourites have a kick about for a good cause. Because that football is a side show to you i can understand why you pointed out your disappointment with last night as a spectacle since many factors accumulated to create a null atmosphete. I enjoyed it even having been to shearers testimonial, wouldn't think twice about going to another. You have stated that you wouldn't go to another which is your opinion and i shouldn't have a pop at you for feeling that way inclined, so for that i apologise. I was initially suprised that someone could act disappointed with what they had seen given the circumstances.

That's fair enough.

I wasn't expecting a great deal football wise. Personally I think a good event could have been turned into a spectacular event with a little more thought put into. I think a nice mixture of a genuine kick about and a few theatrics thrown in (mcDonalds advert dive and penalty for Shearer etc) would have added to the evening.

Also as others have said the announcer made it really hard to understand who was on and who was going off.

Anyway, delighted for the charities and delighted for JawD

CT never ceases to amaze with the contrary twatfullness like.

The standard of football at Rob Lee's testimonial was much higher CT, but it was a fucking embarrassment as a testimonial. Last night was a great occasion for Harper and for the charities he is supporting. Everyone involved, playing or watching was there to see that happen and have a bit of a laugh at the roly poly bald folk...

..perhaps that's what touched a nerve?

Anyway, moving on, the one thing that surprised me was the reception for Joey Barton. It was one of the biggest of the night. The fella is contemptible scum, i wouldn't mind his paid stint in jail at our expense if he hadn't been so instrumental in our relegation after getting out, idiotically getting sent off at Liverpool.

He made partial amends during the promotion season and our first year back up, but how that justifies that glorious welcome is beyond me, especially when (for example) Brian Kilcline got a gentle applause. Kilcline was the signing that Newcastle's past 20+ years has been built on. i was all for politely applauding the lad, but I think people like his Twitter feed more than his Newcastle service.

The reason that there was onlu 18000 at Rob Lee's was greed. When was it? 2001? £20 then cheapest ticket plus Bilbao were nee attraction.

That was a great night - the atmosphere was great to be honest - lulled in a couple of places, but every player was given a standing ovation on entry and exit and (despite the two really pished up lads down to our left that were trying WAY too hard) everyone kept the songs going whenever things died down.
Seeing Cole spanking the inside of the post from a ridiculous angle, as well as tinos acrobatic scissor kick made my heart flutter like back when i was a kid again :)

Gillespies pace was actually damned impressive for an old lad, and the milan lot were class throughout (even di canio, who spent a good amount of time playing the villain act but took it well).

Great ovation for when speeds lads came on, was a nice touch. little unsure about the half arsed pyrotechnics display at the end though ^_^

1270305_10153258274540711_1404244257_o.j

Actually, they were pretty pissed off by the end :(

They were mobbed outside NUFC and again at the airport. They dont mind doing signatures but people were jumping all over them and shoving books in their faces etc. One bloke asked for a signature 5 fucking times man and Maldini had a go at him just saying "Ebay, Ebay!". Some people are fucking stupid man, no need to behave like that like.

On another note, most of the NUFC players were pretty good on the night time with people asking them for photos etc. Beardsley could cheer up a bit like :lol:

Steve Harper done a bit of piss taking during the charity auction. They had 4 tickets for the chairmans suite for the West Brom game and he added something along the lines of "We can also guarantee that Joe Kinnear will not be there" :lol:

Few pics

1238247_210217152479706_1915497854_n.jpg

1185602_210217185813036_1997529145_n.jpg

1234941_210217255813029_1921596750_n.jpg

Ok, come on then, rip me to bits :lol:

9903_210217249146363_706190854_n.jpg

and a really hazy pic of me and Nobby and this is pretty much what my vision was like by then

1231559_210217285813026_905124562_n.jpg

Fair play :good:

Here's a bit taken from .com. Harper is hero.

On the day of his farewell match, Steve Harper spoke eloquently to the Telegraph about his former employer:

"If the club was a body, the fans are the heart. It’s a cliché, but the fans do bleed black and white. They are its heartbeat, but the link between the brain and the heart is no longer there.

"Newcastle are bleeding. If that isn’t addressed, if the wound is not allowed to heal, whatever is special about the club is in danger of dying.

"The fans make the club tick, but they feel detached from it. Whenever the club has done well over, the fans have been on board. They have been fully behind their team, their club.

"I think their loyalty has been tested far too often in recent years. It’s one of the great clubs, but it should be competing amongst the very best in Europe.

"It’s getting harder and harder to break on to the top table and opportunities have been missed. We finished fifth a couple of years ago, but to sustain that you need investment in the team.

"If I had a message to Mike Ashley it would be to engage with the fans, to repair that relationship. It’s not totally broken, but it doesn’t just need a plaster on it, it needs to be fixed.

"I’ve seen players chewed up and spat out by it. It’s not just those who go to the game, it’s the whole city.

"Everybody knows what is happening at the football club and when things go badly, they let you know about it. If things go well, it’s the one of most amazing experiences you can have as a footballer playing in England.

"When there is a good feeling, when the momentum builds, you swim with the tide and you feel unstoppable. But when things turn sour, when the club is divided, you’re in a rip tide and it’s incredibly hard.

"The fans are demanding, even under Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson, they’d get restless if you weren’t winning at half-time, but all they really demand is you put a shift in. They are working class people who want to see players put in the same shift they do in the week to put money in their pockets.

"I’ve said to an infinite amount of players when they signed, just make sure you give everything you’ve got. It doesn’t matter which country you’re from, what colour your skin is, they want you to be committed to the shirt.

"That’s the minimum they ask for, but you also have to have a certain character to succeed.

"I think a few players got a shock last season. It’s not only British players who get this club. It’s not a case of ‘you’re foreign and don’t understand’. Look at (Fabricio) Coloccini, Jonas (Gutierrez), they get it the same way Kevin Nolan did.

"Last year was a struggle and whenever you lose home games 0-3 to Sunderland and 0-6 to Liverpool, it’s going to open a few wounds and it did. It made a few people realise what’s needed to play here. It made a few players realise the size and the scale of the football club, as well as the situation we were in.

"I think it was a huge wake-up call for some people. Like others before them, it’s now up to the players who have come in over the last couple of years to show they can handle the weight of the shirt.

"When you’re here, you have to give 100% to Newcastle United, not worry about whether you are going to get a move elsewhere.”

Edited by Barney